to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Preview: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Your comments on our articles.

Sonic et al dash for the kart racing crown

Sometimes it's okay to call a spade a spade. In this case said spade is Sega's Mario Kart impersonator Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Bendanarama » 17 Oct 2012, 21:40

It features Danica Patrick, which is frankly the perfect reason not to play it.
Bendanarama 43

Xbox Live: bendanarama

Re: Preview: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed

Postby MrPirtniw » 17 Oct 2012, 22:05

It all features Steve and friends so that's another reason.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby PBUH » 17 Oct 2012, 22:25

The problem with the kart racer is that it never became its own genre. Because of this, every time a new kart racer appears, it's automatically compared to Mario Kart and therefore branded as a Mario Kart clone, as if Mario Kart is the genuine kart racer and all others are Chinese rip-offs. Plenty of racers have come and gone, some better than others, with the most notable of the bunch being Diddy Kong racing, which many have compared this with.

The point I'm trying to make is, like any genre, a Kart game has to follow certain rules to become a kart racer. Wacky, hazard filled courses and weapons have to exist, as well as the odd boost pad, or ramp.

I'm really looking forward to this game, as I really enjoyed the previous one (a ton more than I did Mario Kart Wii and 7, I might add) and anyone who played that game, would agree that it is quite a bit different than Mario Kart...
PBUH 29

Postby orakiorob » 18 Oct 2012, 00:32

PBUH wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game, as I really enjoyed the previous one (a ton more than I did Mario Kart Wii and 7, I might add) and anyone who played that game, would agree that it is quite a bit different than Mario Kart...

I second that. I love Mario Kart, but I just can't stop playing the first SASR game, and I'm eager to buy the second one. Also, the missions available to extend the playtime are very compelling... excellent stuff.
orakiorob 19
New user

Postby Ryo_Hazuki4 » 18 Oct 2012, 02:26

PBUH wrote:The problem with the kart racer is that it never became its own genre. Because of this, every time a new kart racer appears, it's automatically compared to Mario Kart and therefore branded as a Mario Kart clone, as if Mario Kart is the genuine kart racer and all others are Chinese rip-offs. Plenty of racers have come and gone, some better than others, with the most notable of the bunch being Diddy Kong racing, which many have compared this with.

The point I'm trying to make is, like any genre, a Kart game has to follow certain rules to become a kart racer. Wacky, hazard filled courses and weapons have to exist, as well as the odd boost pad, or ramp.

I'm really looking forward to this game, as I really enjoyed the previous one (a ton more than I did Mario Kart Wii and 7, I might add) and anyone who played that game, would agree that it is quite a bit different than Mario Kart...

Agree entirely. The first Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing was the best karting game since Diddy Kong Racing. Mario Kart has gone steadily downhill since the superb original in my opinion. Its unfair to call this a Mario Kart clone, it is far superior in every way to any recent Mario Kart. SSAR was the first game i ever platinum'd, and i can't wait for Transformed to be released.
Sega, why have you forsaken me???
Ryo_Hazuki4 53

Postby Cryotek » 18 Oct 2012, 04:31

I'll third that - the last Sonic Racing game was excellent, and more interesting than any recent Mario Kart titles. Also, split-screen 4-player on PC is awesome. :lol:
Cryotek 36

Postby GlobalNightmare » 18 Oct 2012, 13:32

Putting Sonic into a Kart is as confusing as giving Superman his own plane.
Everybody relax, I'm here
GlobalNightmare 32