to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New PlayStation Store: A video guide to the pros and cons

Your comments on our articles.

CVG examines Sony's new-look shopping platform

Sony has commenced a global roll-out of its new PlayStation Store, which will emerge on EU PS3s today. It's already available in Australia and will land in the US on October 23.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New PlayStation Store: A video guide to the pros and cons

Postby lifebrink » 17 Oct 2012, 12:49

$99.99 Australian dollars for AC 3! Obviously it is a similar price to the prices we pay due to the exchange rate but I didnt realise there was so much difference
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 62

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Re: New PlayStation Store: A video guide to the pros and con

Postby silversun_111 » 17 Oct 2012, 12:58

Aslong as I see The Walking Dead epsisode 4 on the store this evening, they can paint the store pink for all I care.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby kabber » 17 Oct 2012, 13:07

it would be nice if they could also implement a serch by price feature.
say you have 10 £ but can't really find anything at your price range. so you search games/*add-ons for under 10£.
bummer that the store takes about 30 seconds to load. but the interface is really quite nice. i do hope i can find my way through though. :wink:
"I hear what you say, I just don't listen." ^^
kabber 52

Postby CatfishMurphy » 17 Oct 2012, 13:15

A marked improvement on the previous storefront, but still second rate compared to the Xbox dash or Steam.

And what is with that loading time?
Do Sony actually have a fetish for making people wait?
*checks to see if Walking Dead Ep 4 is up*
Yes. Yes, they do.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby El Mag » 17 Oct 2012, 13:17

It's out here now as well, you have to download a small update after clicking on the store icon.

Hopefully it's not up to full speed yet because I just tried it and it was painfully slow. Things that were near instant on the old one now take ages with loading.

To quote a great wise man.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby RileyL14 » 17 Oct 2012, 13:19

How long does it take to load??
Looks a million percent better than the old store.
RileyL14 44

PSN ID: RileyL_14

Postby cmanspite » 17 Oct 2012, 13:37

I've just loaded mine up and it doesnt take that long to load up. i dont have that decent a broadband speed. odd.
cmanspite 42

PSN ID: cmanspite

Postby HelloLadies » 17 Oct 2012, 13:38

Just blew the dust and cobwebs off the PS3 and updated and I have to say I don't mind the look of the new store. It could still use some refining but its an upgrade I think. It seems to show more items that might be of interest, not restricted to games either. I thought the blue looked alright but the black isn't to shabby and I like the backgrounds that sort of move behind the tiles. It loads as slow as buggery though. I hope that is not pedal to the metal because its painful to sit there and wait. As for the pricing of a lot of games they're still having a laugh there.
HelloLadies 50

Postby TheDragonDoji » 17 Oct 2012, 13:41

Something tells me the load time won't be *that* bad once the new store is rolled out everywhere...and that something is the fact that two BRITISH guys are laughing at the speed as they connect to the AUSTRALIA store. I don't care if you've got magic, gravy drenched ninjas for DNS settings...that schizzle will lag.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby silversun_111 » 17 Oct 2012, 13:47

HelloLadies wrote:Just blew the dust and cobwebs off the PS3 and updated and I have to say I don't mind the look of the new store. It could still use some refining but its an upgrade I think. It seems to show more items that might be of interest, not restricted to games either. I thought the blue looked alright but the black isn't to shabby and I like the backgrounds that sort of move behind the tiles. It loads as slow as buggery though. I hope that is not pedal to the metal because its painful to sit there and wait. As for the pricing of a lot of games they're still having a laugh there.

The Dude abides.
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby Barry316 » 17 Oct 2012, 14:19

Well something must have gone wrong. I got the new store update and tried downloading the Unfinished Swan but it said error. So i backed out the store and clicked on it again and it was back to the old layout.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby TheLastDodo » 17 Oct 2012, 14:37

kabber wrote:it would be nice if they could also implement a serch by price feature.
say you have 10 £ but can't really find anything at your price range. so you search games/*add-ons for under 10£.
bummer that the store takes about 30 seconds to load. but the interface is really quite nice. i do hope i can find my way through though. :wink:

Can't remember where I read it but they're going to add a "search by price" feature in a future update.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby acey » 17 Oct 2012, 15:01

Barry316 wrote:Well something must have gone wrong. I got the new store update and tried downloading the Unfinished Swan but it said error. So i backed out the store and clicked on it again and it was back to the old layout.

I just tried to download the playstation allstars battle royale beta for the vita (which can't be found on the vita store) and there wasn't an option to download only a join ps plus option even though I have playstation plus already. So I clicked on that and than it became unresponsive so I backed out and now it is back to the old layout only with no updates to the content.

What the hell is going on? :evil:
acey 53

Postby TheLastDodo » 17 Oct 2012, 15:10

Think someone "Halo'd" the new store design.

@kabber

Ignore previous post, you'll be able to search by price from today.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Toasted_PSP » 17 Oct 2012, 15:27

TheDragonDoji wrote:Something tells me the load time won't be *that* bad once the new store is rolled out everywhere...and that something is the fact that two BRITISH guys are laughing at the speed as they connect to the AUSTRALIA store. I don't care if you've got magic, gravy drenched ninjas for DNS settings...that schizzle will lag.

Add to the fact everyone with a Playstation 3 is trying to access the new store along will a large group of people who are dusting off their unused PS3s to see what the new store is like. I doubt the PSN store has seen this much traffic in one day before. I have never seen comments from people who have dusted off their unused PS3s just to check a store update before.

The speed issue is something that will sort itself out as traffic hits a normal level, some of the other complaints seem a lot more valid like adding addition steps to the download process.

Its also annoying Sony still haven't updated the Download List, its about time that had a make-over or at least added some filters for demo, games, DLC ect...
Toasted_PSP 64

Next