to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ubisoft: Wii U GamePad is really responsive

Your comments on our articles.

"the response time is crazy," says Michel Ancel

The Wii U launch is just around the corner, and the GamePad controls are definitely creating a sense of excitement and intrigue, but just how well does the GamePad actually work?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ubisoft: Wii U GamePad is really responsive

Postby Welsh Jester » 16 Oct 2012, 06:19

60 milliseconds? yeah that's pretty good.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Re: Ubisoft: Wii U GamePad is really responsive

Postby HelloLadies » 16 Oct 2012, 06:34

Whats its range though and how would a heavy wall effect it?
HelloLadies 50

Postby Kezwar » 16 Oct 2012, 09:42

HelloLadies wrote:Whats its range though and how would a heavy wall effect it?

Why would you play it through a wall?
let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f**ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Kezwar 44

Xbox Live: Kezwar
PSN ID: Kezwar

Postby manky » 16 Oct 2012, 09:43

Welsh Jester wrote:60 milliseconds? yeah that's pretty good.

In each second there are 60 Frames.

1 second / 60 frames = 0.016 secs

16 milliseconds response rate. Good effort though. :wink:

Your TV probably has way more latency than that anyway - so it's not something you would notice.
manky 28

Postby manky » 16 Oct 2012, 09:44

How heavy is the wall?
manky 28

Postby manky » 16 Oct 2012, 09:46

Kezwar wrote:

Why would you play it through a wall?

He's got xray vision. He's watching you right now.
manky 28

Postby S-Smith » 16 Oct 2012, 10:07

Oh god, not these sh*t articles again:-/ Every time a new games console comes out someone always tries to knock it. Well mainly SONY consoles because no ever bothers slagging off the Xbox brand.
S-Smith 41

Postby Barry316 » 16 Oct 2012, 10:13

You didn't even read the story this time did ya JBoo.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby billysastard » 16 Oct 2012, 11:36

Barry316 wrote:You didn't even read the story this time did ya JBoo.

no, he didnt.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby LordVonPS3 » 16 Oct 2012, 15:01

"The GamePad streams content straight from the TV through a wireless connection, so it is natural for people to be concerned with just how well the GamePad can keep up."

Readers should question the legitimacy of this quote along with the entire article surrounding it. The display buffer is rendered on the Wii U and is transmitted to the TV via a cable. The display buffer may also (or otherwise) be transmitted wirelessly to the Gamepad as the title running on the Wii U may allow. There's nothing to say the display buffer data being transmitted the Gamepad must match the resolution or the frame rate of the game running on a TV set. It is entirely up to the developer to decide how complex the game will be and the frame rate the game will run at and on which displays it will do that.

The point being made about response times is meaningless. In short, you press a button, the Wii U receives the button press, updates the game loop and updates the display (whichever display / both displays that is). The responsiveness is therefore going to be no different to any other wireless controller. Turn on a device that interferes with the Wii U's wireless channel however and you'll see your gamepad's display stutter and freeze. As I don't know the frequency the Wii U gamepad runs on I will leave that to the other punters to research and debate...
LordVonPS3 57

Postby rip_it_up » 16 Oct 2012, 17:12

The wii-u game pad its faster at showing the image than the hdmi connection you use from the wii-u to the tv.

Depends on the tv obviously. But as the rule of thumb nintendo have done well here.
rip_it_up 49

Postby fatherofthenoo » 16 Oct 2012, 20:53

Consumers would be pretty p**sed off if they had anything but perfect responsiveness from the gamepad. Nintendo have probably done all that they could to ensure it runs smoothly under different conditions.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby alan666 » 16 Oct 2012, 21:21

How long do the battery's last ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby HighFlyingBird » 19 Oct 2012, 11:43

LordVonPS3 wrote:
"The GamePad streams content straight from the TV through a wireless connection, so it is natural for people to be concerned with just how well the GamePad can keep up."

Readers should question the legitimacy of this quote along with the entire article surrounding it. The display buffer is rendered on the Wii U and is transmitted to the TV via a cable. The display buffer may also (or otherwise) be transmitted wirelessly to the Gamepad as the title running on the Wii U may allow. There's nothing to say the display buffer data being transmitted the Gamepad must match the resolution or the frame rate of the game running on a TV set. It is entirely up to the developer to decide how complex the game will be and the frame rate the game will run at and on which displays it will do that.

The point being made about response times is meaningless. In short, you press a button, the Wii U receives the button press, updates the game loop and updates the display (whichever display / both displays that is). The responsiveness is therefore going to be no different to any other wireless controller. Turn on a device that interferes with the Wii U's wireless channel however and you'll see your gamepad's display stutter and freeze. As I don't know the frequency the Wii U gamepad runs on I will leave that to the other punters to research and debate...

Yawn...
HighFlyingBird 32

PSN ID: ColdRoses
Wii Code: WiiU HighFlyingBird

Postby Balladeer » 19 Oct 2012, 19:54

LordVonPS3 wrote:

Readers should question the legitimacy of this quote along with the entire article surrounding it. It's saying good things about the WiiU and therefore must be wrong.

Fixed that for you.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77