to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo deletes '1080p' claim on Super Mario Bros U ad

Your comments on our articles.

Mario may need to wait longer to be rendered in the top-end resolution

Nintendo has signalled that the upcoming Super Mario Bros U game may not be displayed in native 1080p as originally advertised.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nintendo deletes '1080p' claim on Super Mario Bros U ad

Postby Imaduck » 12 Oct 2012, 11:26

Um, that's pretty worrying. Mario has an INCREDIBLY basic visual style, if they can't find the power to put that in 1080p what the f**k is the Wii U capable of?
Imaduck 58

Re: Nintendo deletes '1080p' claim on Super Mario Bros U ad

Postby TheRandyNinja » 12 Oct 2012, 11:35

:lol: maybe they are choosing there words more carefully i'm sure if they manage to get cod running at 1080 then mario will be the same.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby B_G_G » 12 Oct 2012, 11:38

Its clearly going to be in 4k.
B_G_G 51

Postby illage2 » 12 Oct 2012, 11:44

I used to play Mario like you .... until I brought an Xbox.

Anyway it's quite worrying as the previous commentator said, did Nintendo lie about the Wii U being HD ready? No, they just have to output to 720p. The hardware in the Wii U can more do 1080p in its sleep. It's the developer themselves not using the hardware to its fullest, and what makes this even worse is that it's a Nintendo title. If Nintendo can't be bothered too even take advantage of their own hardware than who can, this is why there was very little developer support for the original Wii, PSP, and PS Vita.

Lets hope that Zombie U (The only Wii U game even worth getting) can give Nintendo the kick up the arse it needs.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby shellster2 » 12 Oct 2012, 11:53

illage2 wrote:I used to play Mario like you .... until I brought an Xbox.

Anyway it's quite worrying as the previous commentator said, did Nintendo lie about the Wii U being HD ready? No, they just have to output to 720p. The hardware in the Wii U can more do 1080p in its sleep. It's the developer themselves not using the hardware to its fullest, and what makes this even worse is that it's a Nintendo title. If Nintendo can't be bothered too even take advantage of their own hardware than who can, this is why there was very little developer support for the original Wii, PSP, and PS Vita.

Lets hope that Zombie U (The only Wii U game even worth getting) can give Nintendo the kick up the arse it needs.

It's bought, not brought.

I'm looking forward to Nintendoland as well. Yes, yes, there's always one. But it looks fun. Pre-ordered my Zombie U bundle/pack a while back. Not long now.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 67

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby starvinbull » 12 Oct 2012, 11:57

A 2D game based on a 20 year old formula not displaying in 1080p on a brand new console.

I'm sure there are reasons why it may be the case, like 4 players on screen with 1 Wii U pad displaying something as well.
starvinbull 59

Postby Clusks » 12 Oct 2012, 12:08

illage2 wrote:Lets hope that Zombie U (The only Wii U game even worth getting) can give Nintendo the kick up the arse it needs.

Er...Pikmin 3...?
Clusks 45

Postby chamony » 12 Oct 2012, 12:10

in theory the nintendo willy should be able to do this in 1080p but it makes you wonder if they are rushing it for launch, so what else will be wrong with it? just bugs or new super mario bros 2 type lazy design
chamony 39

Xbox Live: 1amGOD
PSN ID: 1amGOD
Steam: 1amGOD

Postby Malmo » 12 Oct 2012, 12:11

It may be wishful thinking, but it could just be a rewording to benefit the more casual audience that may have be fans of the wii. Most people know what you mean when you say high definition or "HD". Not everyone will understand 1080p.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby KesMonkey » 12 Oct 2012, 12:27

Maybe "High Definition" means a drop to 720p, but maybe it just means that Nintendo want to use a more housewife friendly term than "1080p HD".
edit: ^I should have read Malmo's comment first. Same point.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby Gamer1977 » 12 Oct 2012, 12:32

Imaduck wrote:Um, that's pretty worrying. Mario has an INCREDIBLY basic visual style, if they can't find the power to put that in 1080p what the f**k is the Wii U capable of?

Actually the Wii U is more than capable;
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U- ... 47126.html
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3- ... -20121010/
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/zombiu-runs-in-1080p/
Gamer1977 5

Postby PBUH » 12 Oct 2012, 12:42

Imaduck wrote:Um, that's pretty worrying. Mario has an INCREDIBLY basic visual style, if they can't find the power to put that in 1080p what the f**k is the Wii U capable of?

This.

But I would also suggest that they may have removed this statement on the grounds that '1080p' might still be considered technical jargon by some. With Nintendo's dependence on the casual market and the new Mario games being more casual platformers (unfortunately) this might have been more of a marketing move.

Also, Batman: Arkham City - Armoured Edition and Skylanders: Giants, have been stated to support 1080p, as well as the upcoming Monster Hunter Ultimate (which, to be fair, is just an HD remake).

I also hear whispers that Black Ops 2 will be running at 60fps and in 1080p, though the Call of Duty engine is quite dated, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was true...
PBUH 29

Postby mutsnutz » 12 Oct 2012, 12:58

Could it be that they legally have to drop the 1080p visuals section as the handheld bit isnt going to be 1080p. Thus if you play it on its own hardware completely via the controller it is only capable of a HD signal but not 1080p. It could just simply be that Nintendo have been advised that seeing the game can be played on a screen that comes with the console, that isn't 1080p, that they shouldn't say the exact pixel dimensions as this highest resolution is only going to happen on non-nintendo hardware connected to the system, ie your tv.

Lets not forget that at the core of this all: Nintendo are bringing out a home console, the the vein of a PS3, Xbox, Wii, N64 etc etc that actually doesn't require a television to work. Ergo any resolution claim has to address its screen, not yours in its advertising.
mutsnutz 40

Postby rip_it_up » 12 Oct 2012, 13:20

mutsnutz wrote:Could it be that they legally have to drop the 1080p visuals section as the handheld bit isnt going to be 1080p. Thus if you play it on its own hardware completely via the controller it is only capable of a HD signal but not 1080p. It could just simply be that Nintendo have been advised that seeing the game can be played on a screen that comes with the console, that isn't 1080p, that they shouldn't say the exact pixel dimensions as this highest resolution is only going to happen on non-nintendo hardware connected to the system, ie your tv.

Lets not forget that at the core of this all: Nintendo are bringing out a home console, the the vein of a PS3, Xbox, Wii, N64 etc etc that actually doesn't require a television to work. Ergo any resolution claim has to address its screen, not yours in its advertising.

No because the tablet screen isnt hd resolution.
It looks great though.
rip_it_up 49

Postby chamony » 12 Oct 2012, 13:25

mutsnutz wrote:Could it be that they legally have to drop the 1080p visuals section as the handheld bit isnt going to be 1080p. Thus if you play it on its own hardware completely via the controller it is only capable of a HD signal but not 1080p. It could just simply be that Nintendo have been advised that seeing the game can be played on a screen that comes with the console, that isn't 1080p, that they shouldn't say the exact pixel dimensions as this highest resolution is only going to happen on non-nintendo hardware connected to the system, ie your tv.

i dont think its a legal advertising thing - otherwise how do companies like EA use xbox 360 screenshots on advertising for FIFA13 on ps2 versions of the game for example
chamony 39

Xbox Live: 1amGOD
PSN ID: 1amGOD
Steam: 1amGOD

Next