to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

I'm not giving up on Insane, says Guillermo del Toro

Your comments on our articles.

Valve 'the dream partner' to resurrect cancelled trilogy

Acclaimed film director Guillermo del Toro has signalled his interest in resurrecting the Insane trilogy of games that had been cancelled by embattled publisher THQ.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

I'm not giving up on Insane, says Guillermo del Toro

Postby eastldn » 12 Oct 2012, 10:13

oh dear
eastldn 43

Re: I'm not giving up on Insane, says Guillermo del Toro

Postby Black Mantis » 12 Oct 2012, 10:24

Good to hear, hopefully it'll see the light of day. Big fan of his movie work, so definitely interested in this.
Black Mantis 67

Postby AJB123644 » 12 Oct 2012, 10:28

Valve to take on his IP? Yes please! It would be a pretty good combination, if the project it seen as being worthwhile by Valve.
AJ

Blog - www.ajb123644.blogspot.com

AJB123644 46

Postby wildiebeast » 12 Oct 2012, 10:52

I really don't get why valve are held in such high esteem as a developer. OK, Half Life was great, HL2 not quite as good, L4D and Portal, also decent. However, they're not really anything more than HL expansion packs. Same for Team Fortress and the Counter Strikes. They're like the HL equivalent of COD Zombie mode. The best of the bunch, Portal, wasn't even Valve's idea, it was based on a student project.
wildiebeast 7
New user

Postby ensabahnur » 12 Oct 2012, 10:53

Will it feature Ron Perlman at any point?
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Oct 2012, 11:00

wildiebeast wrote:I really don't get why valve are held in such high esteem as a developer. OK, Half Life was great, HL2 not quite as good, L4D and Portal, also decent. However, they're not really anything more than HL expansion packs. Same for Team Fortress and the Counter Strikes. They're like the HL equivalent of COD Zombie mode. The best of the bunch, Portal, wasn't even Valve's idea, it was based on a student project.

If I were guessing, I'd say because the half life games are some of the best fps games of all time, from what I've heard team fortress 2 is very good (classic was great), counter strike one of the best online team based shooters, left 4 dead games were excellent zombie survival shooters and both portals felt fresh and were very funny. Not to mention side stepping some of the money grabbing techniques of other publishers and having a decent games portal in steam.

Maybe.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby apalmer28 » 12 Oct 2012, 11:09

If he goes in with Valve then we might see part one out in about 6 years, part two maybe 5 years after that. Just don't expect to hear anything regarding part 3 though... :mrgreen:
apalmer28 54

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby CapnJinx » 12 Oct 2012, 11:43

wildiebeast wrote:they're not really anything more than HL expansion packs.

Is your basis for this that they all use Valve's Source engine? Apart from sharing the same engine these games aren't really very similar. Well, except for half-life and episodes 1 and 2, for obvious reasons.
CapnJinx 22

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 12 Oct 2012, 11:52

Valve + a genuine horror series.....

TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby rivariad » 12 Oct 2012, 12:01

wildiebeast wrote:I really don't get why valve are held in such high esteem as a developer. OK, Half Life was great, HL2 not quite as good, L4D and Portal, also decent. However, they're not really anything more than HL expansion packs. Same for Team Fortress and the Counter Strikes. They're like the HL equivalent of COD Zombie mode. The best of the bunch, Portal, wasn't even Valve's idea, it was based on a student project.

overrated, thats what they are, they wont be able to bring new on the table other than the same sh.t we're seein for 15 years
rivariad 45

Postby wildiebeast » 12 Oct 2012, 12:16

CapnJinx wrote:
wildiebeast wrote:they're not really anything more than HL expansion packs.

Is your basis for this that they all use Valve's Source engine? Apart from sharing the same engine these games aren't really very similar. Well, except for half-life and episodes 1 and 2, for obvious reasons.

Maybe that's pat of it, but in general, everything since HL2 felt a bit like elaborate mods. A little like different game modes released as separate packages.
wildiebeast 7
New user

Postby subform » 12 Oct 2012, 12:52

no one ever mentions Gunman Chronicles... cracking game by Valve
subform 46

Postby nb_nmare2 » 12 Oct 2012, 13:34

subform wrote:no one ever mentions Gunman Chronicles... cracking game by Valve

... Except it wasn't created by Valve, it was created by Rewolf software (the one and only game they ever made, though most of the staff now work for Streamline Studios).
nb_nmare2 57

Postby corkscru74 » 14 Oct 2012, 13:25

Then you don't have a long enough memory to remember what FPS games were like before Half-Life. If you only measure Valve's 14 year-old title against the games that subsequently copied* it, then of course you're going to come to that decision. What makes them great is the fact they don't release something until they're happy with it - evidenced by them not releasing the original HL when it resembled a Quake clone and instead went back to the drawingboard, pretty much completely rewrote it and released a debut title that changed the game for other developers.

Clearly you have a good taste in games as you say ALL of their games are "great", "good" or "decent" and yet how can you then state that you don't rate them as a developer? I can't think of many more with such an impressive track record.

Also, don't write them off because Portal wasn't their idea, they had the foresight to see the potential in that idea and brought the creator on board. Something they do a lot of (Counter-Strike was another example).

*Maybe copied is too strong a word, but certainly learnt from it and used it as a jumping-off point.
corkscru74 49

Xbox Live: Corkscru74