to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Gaikai site updated to show Killzone, Uncharted and more

Your comments on our articles.

Cloud gaming firm promises its "working even harder" with Sony

Cloud gaming service Gaikai has updated its website to feature images of Sony-exclusive PS3 franchises, including Killzone, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet and more.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Gaikai site updated to show Killzone, Uncharted and more

Postby Robcarroll93 » 11 Oct 2012, 11:39

This is pretty cool, I really want cloud gaming to take off, I think the potential in services such as OnLive and Gaikai is enormous and it means that even my crappy PC I can top quality games.
Robcarroll93 10

Re: Gaikai site updated to show Killzone, Uncharted and more

Postby Asinine » 11 Oct 2012, 14:11

Robcarroll93 wrote:This is pretty cool, I really want cloud gaming to take off, I think the potential in services such as OnLive and Gaikai is enormous and it means that even my crappy PC I can top quality games.

Corrected to:

This is pretty cool, I really want cloud gaming to take off, I think the potential in services such as OnLive and Gaikai is enormous and it means that even with my crappy PC I can hire top quality games for top range prices, then lose being able to play them when OnLive/Gaikai decide they are not profitable and want to use server resources elsewhere. If only I used the money to buy a new PC/console, but now I'm paying an ever increasing service charge to OnLive/Gaikai, I don't have the spare cash to buy myself a new PC/console, but I can't stop paying for the service or I will lose access to the games I've already locked myself into.

:wink:
Asinine 49

Postby KrisaimUK » 11 Oct 2012, 15:55

Sorry but if he's a casual gamer who just wants to pick up and play then that's his choice. Do you know how many games he'd get to play when costed next to a high end PC?
KrisaimUK 32

Postby HelloLadies » 11 Oct 2012, 16:14

Id rather drop a bit of dough on a PC and own the games. You can build a fairly good rig for cheap these days.
HelloLadies 50

Postby ianson » 11 Oct 2012, 16:17

My deepest a-pol-o-gees for the double post
Last edited by ianson on 11 Oct 2012, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
ianson 47

Postby ianson » 11 Oct 2012, 16:22

KrisaimUK wrote:Sorry but if he's a casual gamer who just wants to pick up and play then that's his choice. Do you know how many games he'd get to play when costed next to a high end PC?

THIS with one minor edit
This is true even if you aren't casual.... A sub based system is better than the onlive bullsh*t.

EDIT!
The issue will be the price. I would pay close to £40 a month (price of one game) for access to all that months releases. I will not pay a penny more and I would only do it if they included all the releases and it wasn't contract based.
ianson 47

Postby Asinine » 11 Oct 2012, 16:26

ianson wrote:
KrisaimUK wrote:Sorry but if he's a casual gamer who just wants to pick up and play then that's his choice. Do you know how many games he'd get to play when costed next to a high end PC?

THIS

Whatever you like to do with your cash is fine, obviously you need to balance the costs...

OnLive is £8 per month for the playpack, plus £70 for the controller or £110 for controller and playpack for 1 year, games are around £35 for a current release title like Darksiders 2 (which you can get for console or PC from £20 for a physical copy).
Asinine 49

Postby leucocyte » 11 Oct 2012, 20:54

probably this will be for PS4, because in all likelyhood it won't have native backwards PS3 comptability if the rumours about sony ditching the cell processor and designing PS4 from off-the-shelf components are true. after all, this generation has shown that suckers (sorry, i mean consumers) are willing to re-buy old crap to play on the latest hardware. possibly they will integrate some premium service into the PS+ subs for the next gen. i'd still prefer to play off disc/hdd myself though, as my 4mb/s broadband will attest. i've got 2 PS3s (fat and slim), might have to invest in the new super slim (or wait for the mega slim?) just to make sure i've the contingency to survive the next gen.. :mrgreen:
leucocyte 53

Postby B_G_G » 12 Oct 2012, 15:43

Heres my take on Onlive/Gaikai. I know you've all been waiting for it.

Even when its free, I prefer not to use it. Its that simple.

I can see the potential, and the idea of Playstation 1 2 and 3 games streamed to my PC or TV does give me happy belly sparkles, but the service is just not good enough for me to even consider paying for it over buying or renting the actual game myself.

I would FAR rather pay my £12 a month to Netflix or whatever and get discs through the mail. No compromises on graphics or input speed, no irritating disconnects or stuttering, no worries that I will lose access to something I paid for if the company folds.

If Playstation games were streamed to my PC, I would probably try it again for free out of curiosity, but the experience is just too compromised for me to consider it worth spending time on, let alone money.
B_G_G 51