to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

ToeJam & Earl and Panic on Funkotron hit PSN/XBLA next month

Your comments on our articles.

Selling individually on PS3 and bundled together on Xbox

Sega has confirmed that its Mega Drive (Genesis) classics ToeJam & Earl and ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron will be released as downloads for PS3 and Xbox next month.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

ToeJam & Earl and Panic on Funkotron hit PSN/XBLA next month

Postby toaplan » 10 Oct 2012, 21:26

Too bad it's just a re-release and not a HD remake. TJ & E: Panic on Funkotron would be among the Mega Drive games most deserving of a HD remake, along with Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic 2. Just the soundtrack of all of those titles re-recorded would justify a remake.
toaplan 73

Re: ToeJam & Earl and Panic on Funkotron hit PSN/XBLA next m

Postby GlobalNightmare » 10 Oct 2012, 21:53

Good call. A HD remake of this would of been great.

I played this back in the day on my trusty mega drive. 12 hours I sat there collecting every last pesky human. I had to finish it, otherwise "movies" would have charged me for having my rental for too long. Christ, a shop full of VHS videos, Snes and sega games...anyone feel old yet.
Everybody relax, I'm here
GlobalNightmare 32

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 11 Oct 2012, 03:23

Although a lovely piece of software in its time the first toejam game aged badly, the second one got lost in platform land even though it was really great...... Still anthing is better than GREENDOG!!! lol lol lol

Both titles are way down the pecking order for HD remakes or even re-releases, far superior games have been lost to the evil mistress that is time, stuff like RISTAR,THUNDERFORCE 4, WORLD/CASTLE OF ILLUSION, ALIEN SOLDIER, STRIDER, DESERT STRIKE, SUNSET RIDERS etc are all ahead of these 2 games.... Young gamers need to play some of this stuff to appreciate the times they live in now and also to experience real heavyweights of the megadrive era, alex kidd,shinobi,sonic etc yeah yeah yeah all great and fine and dandy but look deeper and you will find much better stuff.

Nostalgia is great it really is but sometimes the word classic is used just a little too often in the world of retro for my liking, toejam although worthy of mention and praise struggles to make it to the top table.

Still not wanting to be bitter and mean im glad any retro stuff gets re-released, if i was sega and sat on such a well stocked back catalogue i would be releasing a hell of a lot more collections.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Ryo_Hazuki4 » 11 Oct 2012, 04:10

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Although a lovely piece of software in its time the first toejam game aged badly, the second one got lost in platform land even though it was really great...... Still anthing is better than GREENDOG!!! lol lol lol

Both titles are way down the pecking order for HD remakes or even re-releases, far superior games have been lost to the evil mistress that is time, stuff like RISTAR,THUNDERFORCE 4, WORLD/CASTLE OF ILLUSION, ALIEN SOLDIER, STRIDER, DESERT STRIKE, SUNSET RIDERS etc are all ahead of these 2 games.... Young gamers need to play some of this stuff to appreciate the times they live in now and also to experience real heavyweights of the megadrive era, alex kidd,shinobi,sonic etc yeah yeah yeah all great and fine and dandy but look deeper and you will find much better stuff.

Nostalgia is great it really is but sometimes the word classic is used just a little too often in the world of retro for my liking, toejam although worthy of mention and praise struggles to make it to the top table.

Still not wanting to be bitter and mean im glad any retro stuff gets re-released, if i was sega and sat on such a well stocked back catalogue i would be releasing a hell of a lot more collections.

I loved Sunset Riders when i was a kid. Got it for my Xperia Play a little while ago, still a great game, bit harder than i remember tho!
Sega, why have you forsaken me???
Ryo_Hazuki4 53

Postby toaplan » 11 Oct 2012, 06:55

^^ The reason why I think the TJ&E games would deserve remakes is the originality of the titles. The first game is the more original of the two, although the sequel was much more polished and mixed rhythm game elements with the platforming. Both games featured the unique characters, style, soundtrack and humour. I think the uniqueness and humour (and overall quality) were the reasons why a Mega Drive platformer like Earthworm Jim got a HD remake, instead of something like Sunset Riders, which was basically just Konami's own western-themed variant of the more famous Contra.

Mickey Mouse fans are currently well catered for with Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion being based on Castle of Illusion. Thunderforce 3 & 4 were really good back in the day, but the SHMUP genre has advanced pretty far since those days. Revenge of Shinobi on the other hand, is still a very good platform/fighting game hybrid (a lot better than the recent 3DS Shinobi for example) and Sonic 2 (much like Super Mario World) holds up very well as a 2D platformer against more modern competitors.

So to sum up, I think an ideal candidate for a remake should be either 1) unique, like TJ&E (and have little or no competition as a consequence) or 2) a game that still holds up well in its genre (like Revenge of Shinobi), but only needs its graphics and sounds remastered into HD.
toaplan 73

Postby fionn1 » 11 Oct 2012, 12:43

not a console game but I do wish someone would re-master Feud as PSN or XBLA...I loved that game so much, I could see some potentially to add to it
fionn1 45

Xbox Live: Breenington

Postby Funkymonk » 11 Oct 2012, 16:19

I think this deserves a remake/re-release mainly because it was one of the big, glaring ommissions from the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection. Although it may fall just short of the greatest Mega Drive games (Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 ect) it's still great fun, highly original and shouldn't be forgotten.
Funkymonk 31