Microsoft demos Digits: A new wristband controller

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo Power Glove anyone?

The Microsoft Research team is working on a wristband controller known as the Digitis that looks to take motion control gaming to a whole new level.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft demos Digits: A new wristband controller

Postby chedda memba » 10 Oct 2012, 04:47

Always interesting to see what Microsoft can come up with. With the resources and RnD that Microsoft has at its disposal its hard to see the likes of Ninty or Sony being able to compete. I would sure like to see Ninty come up with something really special and innovative again coz for me they're like the grand daddy of gaming. Sony on the other hand well couldnt care wot happens to them. As my N64 began to show its age i decided to buy my first playstation which was a ps2 but after a couple months i sold it. Just didnt like it. The interface, the controller and the games played with such controller just didnt feel good to me so i bought Halo and an Xbox and the rest is history. When i decided to sample PS3 gaming along side my 360 i thought i had the best of both worlds but the same thing happened as did with the PS2 although not as bad. Uncharted 1 was ok but only ok and certainly not as good as Gears. An the online experience just couldnt match live paid for or not. so didnt think i was missing anything that couldnt be bettered on 360. If i sound like a fanboy then so be it but im a fanboy of gaming in general just not a big fan of Sony.
chedda memba 40

Re: Microsoft demos Digits: A new wristband controller

Postby illage2 » 10 Oct 2012, 04:50

What the actual f**k?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 10 Oct 2012, 06:02

Impressive, it looks far more practical and effective than Kinect. I wouldn't doubt that something like this could be applied to next gen xbox.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby l1nc » 10 Oct 2012, 07:54

chedda memba wrote:Always interesting to see what Microsoft can come up with. With the resources and RnD that Microsoft has at its disposal its hard to see the likes of Ninty or Sony being able to compete. I would sure like to see Ninty come up with something really special and innovative again coz for me they're like the grand daddy of gaming. Sony on the other hand well couldnt care wot happens to them. As my N64 began to show its age i decided to buy my first playstation which was a ps2 but after a couple months i sold it. Just didnt like it. The interface, the controller and the games played with such controller just didnt feel good to me so i bought Halo and an Xbox and the rest is history. When i decided to sample PS3 gaming along side my 360 i thought i had the best of both worlds but the same thing happened as did with the PS2 although not as bad. Uncharted 1 was ok but only ok and certainly not as good as Gears. An the online experience just couldnt match live paid for or not. so didnt think i was missing anything that couldnt be bettered on 360. If i sound like a fanboy then so be it but im a fanboy of gaming in general just not a big fan of Sony.

What drugs are you on! the ps1 made the n64 look like a preschool toy, the ps2 dominated the first xbox it had much better exclusives and was a better core gaming machine (the original xbox controller was a joke) and although i agree the xbox 360 is an awesome machine with a flawless controller i would have to say i like my ps3 just as much and personally think the ps3 still has better exclusives.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 42

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby l1nc » 10 Oct 2012, 07:55

chedda memba wrote:Always interesting to see what Microsoft can come up with. With the resources and RnD that Microsoft has at its disposal its hard to see the likes of Ninty or Sony being able to compete. I would sure like to see Ninty come up with something really special and innovative again coz for me they're like the grand daddy of gaming. Sony on the other hand well couldnt care wot happens to them. As my N64 began to show its age i decided to buy my first playstation which was a ps2 but after a couple months i sold it. Just didnt like it. The interface, the controller and the games played with such controller just didnt feel good to me so i bought Halo and an Xbox and the rest is history. When i decided to sample PS3 gaming along side my 360 i thought i had the best of both worlds but the same thing happened as did with the PS2 although not as bad. Uncharted 1 was ok but only ok and certainly not as good as Gears. An the online experience just couldnt match live paid for or not. so didnt think i was missing anything that couldnt be bettered on 360. If i sound like a fanboy then so be it but im a fanboy of gaming in general just not a big fan of Sony.

What drugs are you on! the ps1 made the n64 look like a preschool toy, the ps2 dominated the first xbox it had much better exclusives and was a better core gaming machine (the original xbox controller was a joke) and although i agree the xbox 360 is an awesome machine with a flawless controller i would have to say i like my ps3 just as much and personally think the ps3 still has better exclusives.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 42

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby Padua » 10 Oct 2012, 08:09

Very cool. It will be minaturised eventually but I dread to think what mankind will get up to with a camera strapped to the wrist :shock:

I've always thought a Data glove would be cool, Johnny Mnemonic style.
Then I rated Minority Report but the best I have seen were the in the movie Avatar.

Whoever is working on funky new controllers - Microsoft, Google or Walt Disney - Make it So already! :mrgreen:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Gambini » 10 Oct 2012, 08:44

Microsoft demos new tech.

You comment by telling everyone how much you don't like Sony, the ps2 or the ps3.

Riiiiggghhhhtttt.... :roll:
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby fatherofthenoo » 10 Oct 2012, 09:17

I am always interested in what new ideas the industry comes up with, but this doesn't seem to be terribly original. Still, maybe Microsoft can get it to work well. Hopefully, it would actually open games up rather than force them to become more restrictive like Kinect (as was pointed out as an issue in the recent Fable review).
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Toasted_PSP » 10 Oct 2012, 09:20

chedda memba wrote: If i sound like a fanboy then so be it but im a fanboy of gaming in general just not a big fan of Sony.

A fanboy of gaming in general would enjoy games whoever released them whether they be Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo or a 3rd party. They would enjoy games rather than comparing Gears and Uncharted and would just get on with the games even if they controllers was perfect or you held a dislike for the company making it. A fanboy of gaming in general would not post a large rant against one company while praising another, that's a different kind of fanboy :wink: :wink:

Personally I enjoy games on all consoles, phones and browser ect, I prefer some systems better than others but I just enjoy playing games. I do have a dislike towards Microsoft but that doesn't stop me enjoying some of the games they have release, some are really good. I do prefer Sony and the Playstation (Last Generation I preferred the xbox) this generation but that doesn't stop me enjoying games on the 360 and Wii. I don't like the 360 controller (Too large and I don't like the battery pack bump) but that doesn't stop me enjoying games while using it, it can be awkward for a couple of minutes as I am used to playing on a PS3 controller but once I get into the game that's all forgotten.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby martinawatson » 10 Oct 2012, 10:42

chedda memba wrote: If i sound like a fanboy then so be it but im a fanboy of gaming in general just not a big fan of Sony.

Very twatty. Anyway back to the actual topic, if they are working on this, doesnt it contradict the blab about kinect 2 being able to recognise individual fingures, I always thought that kinect is interesting tech, perhaps they backed the wrong horse afterall.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67

Postby Toasted_PSP » 10 Oct 2012, 11:17

martinawatson wrote: if they are working on this, doesnt it contradict the blab about kinect 2 being able to recognise individual fingures, I always thought that kinect is interesting tech, perhaps they backed the wrong horse afterall.

The whole idea of interacting with a device via a camera has been interesting for a long time, but as was proven by the eye toy last generation as a gaming peripheral it has limited potential, adding an infra red camera wont improve that sadly. The voice recognition will hopefully expand outside of Kinect and the interaction with the console will continue but its really time to put the whole idea of kinect and hand free gaming to rest.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby Barry316 » 10 Oct 2012, 11:25

Stealth and JBoo you finally have the third member to finish off your group!

It'll be a pretty s**tty boy band, but still, slightly better than One Direction.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby FishyGinger » 10 Oct 2012, 11:30

Barry316 wrote:
Stealth and JBoo you finally have the third member to finish off your group!

It'll be a pretty s**tty boy band, but still, slightly better than One Direction.

:D
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby sigourney beaver » 10 Oct 2012, 11:50

that pic just reminds me of those toy spiderman web shooters :?
sigourney beaver 45

Postby Sangor » 10 Oct 2012, 12:23

You sir should write a novel about your life as a true gamer.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Next