to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Fable: The Journey review: Beautiful to look at, frustrating

Your comments on our articles.

Lionhead's adventure plods and frustrates in equal measure

Fable: The Journey's biggest trick doesn't lie in motion-controlled horse riding, or ambidextrous spell-flinging combat against Hobbes and Hollowmen, or first-person dodging of two-storey Ice Trolls, or even in the blessed ability to play Kinect while sitting down. It's in making the land of Albion seem absolutely massive.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Fable: The Journey review: Beautiful to look at, frustrating

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 14:23

Put Fable back in the cupboard and lets come up with some new IP Lionhead.

Peter is gone, so its time to prove you can step out from his shadow and deliver a cracking Game.

Next Gen the onus is on you!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Re: Fable: The Journey review: Beautiful to look at, frustra

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 09 Oct 2012, 14:44

So what if the games on rails. I hate this being a detractor. Its b*****ks. Just because something is on rails doesn't stop it being a good game in the slightest. HOTD:OVERKILL and Dead sapce extraction are both on rails and IMO are two of the best games of this gen. LIkewise KIller 7 was on rails and is a bloody classic.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 09 Oct 2012, 14:46

Lionhead are going nowhere fast. Fable 2 aside the whole franchise is stale, boring and lifeless. Once again Kingdoms of Amular walks over every game in the series. On rails games work now and again but in all honesty games need to make you feel the experience is yours not that your just watching a journey.

I have no sympathy for developers that sell out for the golden egg payday from super publishers, RARE were the same, Bizarre Creations killed themselves.

Ultimately you get what you deserve, when the final curtain is drawn on this once good company no tears will be shed here.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 14:57

Pretty harsh there Fury.

Lionhead were obligated to produce a Kinect Fable Game by there employers, you know, the guys who pay your wages and mortgage?

Like I said, put this behind them and see what they come up with next Gen without Peter M.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Oct 2012, 15:07

It isn't the decision from everyone at the company is it though, the people who actually make the game get very little say when they get bought.

And no, you don't always get what you deserve. That's bullsh*t.

I enjoyed Fable 2 quite a lot, it wasn't exactly a step forward from Fable 1 but enjoyably charming none the less.

I don't think kinect only gaming is really going anywhere, I'm sure kinect and controller integration could be very good though, if not for me. And I though Dead space extraction was very good indeed, so on-rails isn't really a good argument.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Barry316 » 09 Oct 2012, 15:22

The harshest thing was comparing a series that's had 2 good games to Kingdoms of Amular. Which was dull at best and full of fetch quests but had a decent combat system.

Fable The Lost Chapters was the series high point but what a high point it was.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby goggy » 09 Oct 2012, 16:05

There has never been a good Fable game, i don't know why they bother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 09 Oct 2012, 17:00

If Lionhead decide to make Fable 4, they really need to up their game. Fable 3 was crap, utter crap. The game was just terrible imo. I preferred Fable 2 in every single aspect. They should never have introduced that 'touch' system, as it is pretty useless. Whilst the story was ok decent, although the King part of it was far far FAR too short and over-rated before the games release, and the combat was an improvement, it failed in every other area. Fable 2 (and probably 1 and Lost Chapters, never played either) was superior.

I loved Fable 2. It felt fun to play, much bigger in terms of landscape as you felt like you had so much to explore, rather than Fable 3's set areas, and the story was really good too. I recently got the game of the year edition for the DLC but i am yet to play it.

Fable 3 felt rushed, and Lionhead didn't do the Fable Franchise any favours with it's release. Like i said, if they decide to make Fable 4, they will have to up their game considerably
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby MrPirtniw » 09 Oct 2012, 17:14

goggy wrote:There has never been a good Fable game, i don't know why they bother.

Because you're wrong and they're actually pretty good? The first 2 were anyway- a breath of fresh air amongst some truly bland RPG's.

I agree with Stonecold though, they need to branch out and do something else for a bit- get the old creative juices flowing again before they return to the Fable universe. I played the demo for this new one and although it was kind of fun I can see it getting a bit monotonous and exhausting very quickly.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Cogglesz » 09 Oct 2012, 17:29

I've nothing agaisn't on the rails, infact those on the rails arcade shooters are some of my favourite games, but :lol:

"I'll just state on record now that Fable: The Journey is definitely not on rails."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/30 ... s-mistake/ :mrgreen:
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby Imaduck » 09 Oct 2012, 17:50

Most fans of the series could've predicted this review on the reveal day :(
Imaduck 58

Postby billybouffant » 09 Oct 2012, 18:10

Cogglesz wrote:I've nothing agaisn't on the rails, infact those on the rails arcade shooters are some of my favourite games, but :lol:

"I'll just state on record now that Fable: The Journey is definitely not on rails."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/30 ... s-mistake/ :mrgreen:

you ever get the feeling that maybe good old Peter Molyneux has lived his life believing that if he lies enough, that all his lies will come true? Either that or he's been living off some serious hallucinogenics since he was born.
billybouffant 44

Postby illage2 » 10 Oct 2012, 06:26

Sorry but Fable shouldn't

A) Be on Rails. The reason this was a bad thing for this game is that Peter (Before he left Lionhead) stated that this Fable game wasn't gonna be an "On Rails" game. So we could have actually had a decent Fable game again.

B) Use Kinect. Need I say more?

The Developers of Fable have lost their way since Fable 3. I consider this a Dead franchise.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Padua » 10 Oct 2012, 08:34

I hope Kinect 2 will support a controller/buttons too.
"You are the Controller" has been the dumbest gaming mantra ever - apart from the dance/keep fit games where it rules.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby divinebeetle » 17 Oct 2012, 10:09

Padua wrote:I hope Kinect 2 will support a controller/buttons too.
"You are the Controller" has been the dumbest gaming mantra ever - apart from the dance/keep fit games where it rules.

Agreed

When I read it was exclusive Kinect :lol: can't see what it offers to this type of game imo
divinebeetle 37