Forza Horizon demo hits Xbox Live

Your comments on our articles.

Sample the racer ahead of its October 23 release date

The Forza Horizon demo is available now on Xbox Live.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Forza Horizon demo hits Xbox Live

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 11:58

Anyone who can download the demo just now or this afternoon, let us know what your thoughts are. How different is it to Forza, is this the PGR sequel we have been waiting for?

Cheers
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Re: Forza Horizon demo hits Xbox Live

Postby damoxuk » 09 Oct 2012, 12:53

Isn't it meant to be more akin to Burnout Paradise but less fun? :)

Meaning open world. If it's anything like Criterion's game then consider me intrigued. But if just po-faced Forza/GT style game with an open world aspect - yawn.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 13:00

I suppose im hoping its going to combine PGR and Test Drive: Unlimited together more than Burnout Paradise.

*A Man Can Dream*
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby silversun_111 » 09 Oct 2012, 13:20

Well racing against a plane is certainly different :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHjk68SrQQ

Might have a look at getting this when it goes cheaper
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby metallicorphan » 09 Oct 2012, 13:29

Just finished playing this demo,for me it felt more NFS/Burnout Paradise than Test Drive Unlimited...but i can't say i have played a lot of all 3 games,so i can't really be sure

Its quite a big demo and it certainly is fun,only part of the map is open which you would expect,the whole map looks quite a decent size

Graphics are nice,handling is fine

Its not the actual game that's putting me off buying its the $50 season pass(4000msp)..that's a damn lot for a season pass,i know i don't have to buy the season pass,but still...i think i may wait,maybe there will be an 'all in' version next year
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby ensabahnur » 09 Oct 2012, 14:00

metallicorphan wrote:
Its not the actual game that's putting me off buying its the $50 season pass(4000msp)..that's a damn lot for a season pass,i know i don't have to buy the season pass,but still...i think i may wait,maybe there will be an 'all in' version next year
Wasn't the season pass for Forza 4 just cars? I wouldn't pay that amount for just cars, i'd be expecting a few decent tracks thrown in as well.

But its all a moot point anyhoo as i'm never getting another season pass after the Uncharted 3 debacle.

Downloading the demo on xboxlive.com is a bit of a f**k about.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 14:11

metallicorphan wrote:Just finished playing this demo,for me it felt more NFS/Burnout Paradise than Test Drive Unlimited...but i can't say i have played a lot of all 3 games,so i can't really be sure

Its quite a big demo and it certainly is fun,only part of the map is open which you would expect,the whole map looks quite a decent size

Graphics are nice,handling is fine

Cheers

Looking forward to getting a shot of this later tonight! Oh and you can forget the season pass for me too. I just need a racer after all the FPS action I am playing and will be playing over the next few months.

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby Black Mantis » 09 Oct 2012, 14:18

Very good demo imo. Mixes up Forza/TDU/PGR nicely, definitely the game TDU should have been. The only similarity it has with Burnout Paradise, is the open world. Looks great and you can feel the difference in surfaces/cars.

I'll definitely pick it up.
Black Mantis 67

Postby metallicorphan » 09 Oct 2012, 14:19

ensabahnur wrote:Wasn't the season pass for Forza 4 just cars? I wouldn't pay that amount for just cars, i'd be expecting a few decent tracks thrown in as well.

But its all a moot point anyhoo as i'm never getting another season pass after the Uncharted 3 debacle.

Downloading the demo on xboxlive.com is a bit of a f**k about.

I do know that there is an expansion in the works for December release i think for DLC for the game
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby dannyhulse » 09 Oct 2012, 14:30

StonecoldMC wrote:Anyone who can download the demo just now or this afternoon, let us know what your thoughts are. How different is it to Forza, is this the PGR sequel we have been waiting for?

It feels more arcade-y than Forza, I would actually put the handling at around PGR's level. It also has an equivalent of Kudos, so to think of it like an open world amalgamation of PGR and Test Drive won't be too far off the mark in my opinion.

It looks great, and the music isn't too shabby either, although I feel the announcer lady will grate on me after a while.

EDIT: Oh yeah, racing a plane is f**king awesome!
dannyhulse 47

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Oct 2012, 15:05

Thanks again guys.

Looking forward to tearing around the roads on this tonight!

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby sonic_uk » 09 Oct 2012, 18:19

Yes, but no-where in the article does it mention you have to have Gold in order to download it. Why? Its a Single player demo ffs. What MS are doing is effectively limiting the number of people who will play the demo, its an xbox exclusive in the first place so already limiting the number of people exposed to it, then further cutting that userbsae in half by limiting it to just Gold users. I would have thought you would want as many people as possible to play your demo? I'm just lucky I got to play it at the Eurogamer Expo as I wouldn't have bothered buying it otherwise as from the footage I've seen it doesn't look that good, but actually playing it changed my mind. Think of all the people who are on the fence about the game like I was and then take away any chance of a trail play from them. That adds up to a lot of potentially lost sales and a really stupid business decision.

dannyhulse wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:Anyone who can download the demo just now or this afternoon, let us know what your thoughts are. How different is it to Forza, is this the PGR sequel we have been waiting for?

It feels more arcade-y than Forza, I would actually put the handling at around PGR's level. It also has an equivalent of Kudos, so to think of it like an open world amalgamation of PGR and Test Drive won't be too far off the mark in my opinion.

It looks great, and the music isn't too shabby either, although I feel the announcer lady will grate on me after a while.

EDIT: Oh yeah, racing a plane is f**king awesome!

Pause it and turn all the assists off mate. That was the first thing I did at the Expo and it was classic Forza handling for me (I always play with all the assists off except Abs).
Last edited by sonic_uk on 09 Oct 2012, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby pinkie 2 » 09 Oct 2012, 18:41

This is going to be a cracker of a game, the demo's brilliant, Defo day 1 purchase for me the graphics are beautiful.
pinkie 2 51

Postby Black Mantis » 09 Oct 2012, 19:08

sonic_uk wrote:Yes, but no-where in the article does it mention you have to have Gold in order to download it. Why? Its a Single player demo ffs. What MS are doing is effectively limiting the number of people who will play the demo, its an xbox exclusive in the first place so already limiting the number of people exposed to it, then further cutting that userbsae in half by limiting it to just Gold users. I would have thought you would want as many people as possible to play your demo? I'm just lucky I got to play it at the Eurogamer Expo as I wouldn't have bothered buying it otherwise as from the footage I've seen it doesn't look that good, but actually playing it changed my mind. Think of all the people who are on the fence about the game like I was and then take away any chance of a trail play from them. That adds up to a lot of potentially lost sales and a really stupid business decision.

Silver users get it a week later, as is normal now. Pretty common knowledge, so that's probably why CVG never mentioned it.
Black Mantis 67

Postby alan666 » 09 Oct 2012, 21:38

I have played through the demo & i really like it.

The plane racing was very good 8)
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next