Microsoft Points no longer mandatory in Windows 8

Your comments on our articles.

Change may support reports of virtual currency phase out on Xbox 360

Windows 8 will allow users to pay for game, movie and music content with a credit card instead of forcing them to use Microsoft Points, as it did in the beta.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft Points no longer mandatory in Windows 8

Postby racxie » 08 Oct 2012, 12:57

You already have to pay using a card on Windows Phone so I don't get why this is such a big deal. And even then you can only buy DLC for games using MSP...
Previously dark_gamer - CVG forumite since October 2003 :)
racxie 29

Xbox Live: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
Wii Code: Own but not online.
Steam: Racxie
xFire: Racxie

Re: Microsoft Points no longer mandatory in Windows 8

Postby Mastermue » 08 Oct 2012, 17:13

I prefer points cards since I sure as hell don't want Microsoft to have my card details. With all the hacking and phishing that goes on, points cards just feel safer to use, even though I end up with having to buy too many for what I want. The lesser of two evils I guess.

I know the article said they are no longer mandatory in Win 8, I would just rather not have them phased out either (if the rumors are true).
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Mastermue 54

Postby Toasted_PSP » 08 Oct 2012, 18:18

Mastermue wrote:I prefer points cards since I sure as hell don't want Microsoft to have my card details. With all the hacking and phishing that goes on, points cards just feel safer to use, even though I end up with having to buy too many for what I want. The lesser of two evils I guess.

I know the article said they are no longer mandatory in Win 8, I would just rather not have them phased out either (if the rumors are true).

PSN copes fine using real currency and is still able to provide pre-paid cards. Not sure why you think a switch from MS Points to real currency will mean an end to pre-paid cards.

The sooner MS ditch the point system the better IMHO.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby alan666 » 08 Oct 2012, 23:37

Toasted_PSP wrote:
Mastermue wrote:I prefer points cards since I sure as hell don't want Microsoft to have my card details. With all the hacking and phishing that goes on, points cards just feel safer to use, even though I end up with having to buy too many for what I want. The lesser of two evils I guess.

PSN copes fine using real currency and is still able to provide pre-paid cards. Not sure why you think a switch from MS Points to real currency will mean an end to pre-paid cards.

The sooner MS ditch the point system the better IMHO.

The pre-paid cards are the way to go.

I think using the points system is more to do with currency changes & fluctuations.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027