Dishonored review: One of the greatest games of the generati

Your comments on our articles.

Possession is 9/10s of the score

The citizens of Dunwall - home to the events of Dishonored - are subject to terrible restrictions on their personal freedom. There's a compulsory dusk-'till-dawn curfew for starters, which is vigorously applied by the city's guards. At sundown, doors and windows are bolted shut by industrial-sized clamps, and anyone who does somehow manage to wiggle past them is shot on sight.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dishonored review: One of the greatest games of the generati

Postby BenThomasFoster » 08 Oct 2012, 08:09

I saw this score from your leaked youtube review... but you didn't answer my question there. the forums are butt-hurt over it's supposed length how long is the game?
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Re: Dishonored review: One of the greatest games of the gene

Postby TheAmazingDaler » 08 Oct 2012, 08:19

Hey.

It's difficult to give you a definitive time because when you're reviewing a game you play it slightly different than you would recreationally - juggling quicksave slots and trying out different things so you're sure you haven't missed out important details.

I would say it took me around 15-18 hours? Even then, I felt like I was rushing through it faster than I would have liked.

The bandied figure of four hours is, in a word, laughable.
TheAmazingDaler

Postby BenThomasFoster » 08 Oct 2012, 08:42

TheAmazingDaler wrote:Hey.

It's difficult to give you a definitive time because when you're reviewing a game you play it slightly different than you would recreationally - juggling quicksave slots and trying out different things so you're sure you haven't missed out important details.

I would say it took me around 15-18 hours? Even then, I felt like I was rushing through it faster than I would have liked.

The bandied figure of four hours is, in a word, laughable.

Ha I knew it was just trolls and drones! Saying that portal 2 was 5 hours long for me and I had a blast of a time regardless! Perhaps I was just concerned I wouldn't spend enough time in a unqiue world like dishonered
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby budge » 08 Oct 2012, 08:43

This is a definite purchase for me but not a day 1 one.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby StonecoldMC » 08 Oct 2012, 08:55

What with Borderlands still to play through and Halo 4 looming on the horizon I thought I would pick this up next year.

That isn't going to happen now, I best get cracking on with Borderlands 2, post haste!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby eastldn » 08 Oct 2012, 09:02

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffyyyyyyyyyyessssssssssssss
eastldn 43

Postby Imaduck » 08 Oct 2012, 09:04

SUCH high hopes for this. Wish I could've afforded to preorder it but I WILL buy it asap :)
Imaduck 58

Postby gayrath » 08 Oct 2012, 09:22

This month's gaming purchase was going to be AC3. But that is going to have to wait for my Christmas list. I HAVE to play Dishonoured!
gayrath 38

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 08 Oct 2012, 09:39

I'm very happy everyone is giving this game a big score, its nice to see new IP getting some love, now here's hoping it translates into sales.

Personally i probably wont get this until its much cheaper as i'm not the biggest fan of stealth sneaking around games like MGS, Deus Ex, Thief etc etc, i find them very boring after the 10th time of doing the same hide and seek move but i see why so many folk love them.

I think thats why i loved Skyrim so much, if you powered up properly you never had to worry about ducking down behind a table lol lol

Still as i said, happy to see another new game score so well.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Robcarroll93 » 08 Oct 2012, 09:58

I can't wait to play this! I'll be amazed if its not GOTY. Roll on Friday!
Robcarroll93 10

Postby toaplan » 08 Oct 2012, 10:20

I'll wait for Bioshock Infinite, which looks much more beautiful and focused than this eclectic game. I also prefer the setting and stylish visuals of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I bought on the cheap two or three months after it was released. Dishonoured should be available for a heavily Discounted price fairly soon.

I read the entire review, but was there any mention about the quality of the combat mechanics? The relatively weak gunplay and bosses were among the things I didn't like about Deus Ex: HR. Maybe this is a game that emphasizes stealth gameplay even more, since little was said about the combat mechanics.

I'm not a huge fan stealth games and sneaking your way through - with the singular exception of MGS, which is irresistible due to the fantastic characters and convoluted storylines. But I appreciate that the devs have striven for a certain amount of originality (despite borrowing heavily from aforementioned games) and non-linearity as well, so I'm willing to look past the visual style which I personally find slightly off-putting, and maybe give this a try in a few months or so.
toaplan 74

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 08 Oct 2012, 10:48

This is one of those games I just don't "get". I've watched quite a few gameplay videos on it and the choices involved don't seem to do anything new that a dozen other stealth games haven't before. That and the art design doesn't appeal to me.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby El Mag » 08 Oct 2012, 10:51

Achievement/Trophy hunters in particular will find themselves getting intimate with Dishonored's inner workings, since they challenge the player first to minimise casualties, then to get through the game without equipping any supernatural powers, then to go through the entire game undetected. It's one of the most sadistic uses of the achievement system yet

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby havoc33 » 08 Oct 2012, 11:01

Have I been living underneath a rock? I seriously didn't know about it's existence until today, when high praise reviews started hitting the web all over the place. If I did read a preview of it, it certainly didn't stick with me, so I'm kinda shocked that this big of a title took me totally by surprise. Now that's a AAA stealth game! lol :lol:
havoc33 44

PSN ID: havoc33_

Postby Sleepaphobic » 08 Oct 2012, 11:10

Friday is gonna be awesome with this and X-COM.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Next