to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Spec Ops The Line is the world's first anti-war shooter

Your comments on our articles.

OPINION: Grant Howitt seeks the line between good and evil

Spec Ops: The Line starts out as a by-the-numbers third-person action game, complete with all the standard bells and whistles: two guns, plenty of chest-high walls to crouch behind, two squadmates to shout orders at and a desert-based rescue mission to sink your teeth into.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Spec Ops The Line is the world's first anti-war shooter

Postby JD_Method » 06 Oct 2012, 20:04

Good to see some love for Spec Ops. The demo really threw me off at first. It came across as pretty damn generic, and I had no intention of buying it, but the review scores prompted me to investigate further. I'm glad I did though, as it's a fantastic game.
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Re: Spec Ops The Line is the world's first anti-war shooter

Postby gmcb007 » 06 Oct 2012, 20:47

I'm the same as JD. The demo was very misleading but the full game was brillant. It's the only game where by the end you feel like a right dick.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 62

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 07 Oct 2012, 01:19

Im in the same boat as JD and gmcb. I bought the game a few weeks ago and im so glad i did, as the demo put me off it. If anything the demo really didn't help this game, as it made it look as generic as they come. But when i played the game and got into the story, i loved every second of it and enjoyed the game thoroughly. The ending was brilliant too. I loved how the story played out.

If anyone hasn't picked up this game, i suggest you go and get it. You will get one of the best third-person shooter stories this gen. Absolutely brilliant game
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 07 Oct 2012, 01:26

I felt so strongly about this game I had to write my own thoughts on it on Amazon. I was just utterly blown away by it. And like everyone says, the demo did it no favours. None at all. To anyone out there who hasn't played this from beginning to end that likes a good story: play this. This one is for the grown-ups. Easily one of my favourite games of the year so far and it's nice to be in good company with the writer and commenters.
Bring back Super Skidmarks. Cow racing FTW.
Jimmy Luxury 46

Postby illage2 » 07 Oct 2012, 05:13

Spec Ops was actually surprisingly good. I honestly thought it was one of those games to fill the void until the REAL games were released but damn it was a good game for it's single player experience. The game makes you think about the consequences of your actions, which a lot of games don't do these days. Should you use the WP (White Phosphorus) launcher to clear the base without knowing of any civilians in the area, or do you man up and take the base out without it? These are the choices the game throws at you, and makes you regret it.

The Multi player was awful though.
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby budge » 07 Oct 2012, 08:23

I always thought that this was an FPS? I love a good story in games so i'll puck this up myself soon.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby lonewolf2002 » 07 Oct 2012, 10:41

budge wrote:I always thought that this was an FPS? I love a good story in games so i'll puck this up myself soon.

If for PC it is only 4.99 here at the moment:

http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Spec- ... e/5004057/
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Legend Turtle » 07 Oct 2012, 11:42

SPOILERS!

illage2 wrote:Spec Ops was actually surprisingly good. I honestly thought it was one of those games to fill the void until the REAL games were released but damn it was a good game for it's single player experience. The game makes you think about the consequences of your actions, which a lot of games don't do these days. Should you use the WP (White Phosphorus) launcher to... or do you man up...? These are the choices the game throws at you, and makes you regret it.

The Multi player was awful though.

The white phosphorus... I hadn't really realised it was a choice the way it was presented.
Bureaucrat Conrad, you are technically correct -- the best kind of correct.

Guards! Bring me the forms I need to fill out to have her taken away!
Legend Turtle 44

Postby JD_Method » 07 Oct 2012, 15:00

lonewolf2002 wrote:If for PC it is only 4.99 here at the moment:

http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Spec- ... e/5004057/

Bloody hell. What a bargain!

Spoilers below, so watch out...

Legend Turtle wrote:SPOILERS!

The white phosphorus... I hadn't really realised it was a choice the way it was presented.

I don't think it is a choice. I think eventually, you're forced to use the WP, which kinda sucks a bit, but it wouldn't be the same if you could avoid that scene.
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Postby Ali_ » 08 Oct 2012, 09:59

There is no choice in using it. It would make the rest of the game pointless. It's also worth noting that the game has three possible endings which allow you to expand on your character's delusions...
Ali_ 54

Postby appyday » 08 Oct 2012, 11:21

I think the generic feel of the demo pulled in players that might not have bought it otherwise.... After you scratch the surface it just draws you further in....

The game in my opinion was brilliant.... one of the only releases this year that I completed in 3 goes over the weekend after its launch.

Forget the mp. That was b*****ks....
appyday 40

PSN ID: appyday

Postby c97dem » 08 Oct 2012, 11:36

A generic game that put people off with the demo, but the story was great, a much better retelling of Conrads Heart Of Darkness than Farcry 2 ever was!

Some really tough choices in the game and once completed when you replay it for the other endings, the actions throughout the game take on a whole new meaning because you *know* what is really happening.
c97dem 54

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79