to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

FIFA 13 sells 4.5 million in five days, biggest launch of 20

Your comments on our articles.

Also the "biggest sports video game launch of all-time," declares EA

FIFA 13 has sold 4.5 million copies worldwide in five days to become the "biggest videogame launch of 2012 and biggest sports videogame launch of all-time", according to EA.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

FIFA 13 sells 4.5 million in five days, biggest launch of 20

Postby stealth » 03 Oct 2012, 20:01

oh? so ea makes up the numbers now huh?
stealth 47

Re: FIFA 13 sells 4.5 million in five days, biggest launch o

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 03 Oct 2012, 20:03

No reason to disbelieve it. It is FIFA after all - it always sells in huge numbers. Given the huge marketing campaign behind it, why should this be any different?
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby toaplan » 03 Oct 2012, 20:14

That's good news and shows that the games market is robust. I wonder if we'll see next-gen sports titles next year... boggles the mind considering how good the likes of Fifa and NBA2K already are. The PS360 installed base and sales numbers are so big that they will be the lead platform for the 2013 iterations, but I'm hoping for enhanced versions for possible next-gen formats.
toaplan 74

Postby FixBeatGames » 03 Oct 2012, 21:15

not bad, they even just had an ad on bbc's watchdog, detailing the thousands of complaints the program has had about the game being broken in many aspects, oh hang on....
FixBeatGames 41

Postby damoxuk » 03 Oct 2012, 23:29

It doesn't show the market is robust at all.

Remember a lot of people fall into either the play different games or the other category of play just COD/and Fifa each year.

All it shows is those same people buying there fave brand.

It doesn't mean the gaming market as a whole is good jsut because of this game..

Sorry to be negative but all the new IP's what sell s**t but then yawnfest yearly updates of the man kicks pig skin 13 comes out it makes meh blood boil. :)
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby dwhlufc » 03 Oct 2012, 23:40

stealth wrote:oh? so ea makes up the numbers now huh?

Can you prove their making up these figures?

Anyway, congrats to EA as it truly is a fine game worthy of snyone money who enjoys football videogames.
dwhlufc 76

Postby MrPirtniw » 04 Oct 2012, 03:21

Ooh, that should confirm a sequel then!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby toaplan » 04 Oct 2012, 09:19

damoxuk wrote:It doesn't show the market is robust at all.

Remember a lot of people fall into either the play different games or the other category of play just COD/and Fifa each year.

All it shows is those same people buying there fave brand.

It doesn't mean the gaming market as a whole is good jsut because of this game..

Sorry to be negative but all the new IP's what sell s**t but then yawnfest yearly updates of the man kicks pig skin 13 comes out it makes meh blood boil. :)

Okay, but this does bode well for Q4, the most important quarter for game sales. EA also said that the early sales of "Men lining up and then fighting violently for possession of an egg-shaped object and occasionally carrying it in their hands or throwing it (and claiming that said activity can be described as 'football')" 13 were also up significantly year-over-year.

Recent releases Borderlands 2, Resi 6 and NBA2K13 all have the potential to do well and once sales numbers for those are announced, we'll know more about how this year is shaping up sales-wise.

New IPs though, that category tends to be slightly problematic... Risks, costs, no monetization-ready fanbase = :? for publishers...
Last edited by toaplan on 04 Oct 2012, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
toaplan 74

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Oct 2012, 09:25

MrPirtniw wrote:Ooh, that should confirm a sequel then!

You'd have to be a daring person to bet on that. What would they call it?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby TheLastDodo » 04 Oct 2012, 10:38

FishyGinger wrote:
MrPirtniw wrote:Ooh, that should confirm a sequel then!

You'd have to be a daring person to bet on that. What would they call it?

Resident Evil 7
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 04 Oct 2012, 12:25

toaplan wrote:That's good news and shows that the games market is robust. I wonder if we'll see next-gen sports titles next year... boggles the mind considering how good the likes of Fifa and NBA2K already are. The PS360 installed base and sales numbers are so big that they will be the lead platform for the 2013 iterations, but I'm hoping for enhanced versions for possible next-gen formats.

ummm no it doesnt show the market is robust at all. It shows that only franchises sell now and only at certain times, look at chart track data for the whole year good sir thats where the truth is, the games market in this country is in the toilet, month on month recently it has been in decline and only now that FIFA,PRO,BORDERLANDS etc are released things have picked up, COD and ASSASSINS CREED 3 will also fly off the shelves.

Theres nothing healthy about a market that only comes to life between september and january then doesnt work properly for the rest of the year, how many studios went under this year alone only to be replaced by yet more IOS small dev teams churning out yet more Runner clones.....YAY

New Ip doesnt sell even if its amazing, sequels do even if they suck, thats terrible for core gamers, great for hobbyists and casual players, wonderful for EA and Activision, bad for almost everyone else.

As much as i know you love this time in the videogames industry and as much fun as it sometimes can be its not the golden period and the best era you mentioned in another forum post around the corner isnt going to happen, the golden era already happened dude, sorry.

Quantity doenst mean quality, never has, never will.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby rbt2 » 04 Oct 2012, 12:33

Megatrons_Fury wrote:

It does if you've got a big willy.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby nintendo is the » 04 Oct 2012, 12:56

Well I'm, not a fan of Fifa. But it sold twice or even 3 times better in the shop I work at than it did last year. Must have sold 5-600 copies on ps3 alone.
There's a page missing!!! Yeah, I thought of that. Perhaps that was the most important part!!
nintendo is the 51

Xbox Live: ian the bassist

Postby toaplan » 04 Oct 2012, 13:48

Megatrons_Fury wrote:ummm no it doesnt show the market is robust at all. It shows that only franchises sell now and only at certain times, look at chart track data for the whole year good sir thats where the truth is, the games market in this country is in the toilet, month on month recently it has been in decline and only now that FIFA,PRO,BORDERLANDS etc are released things have picked up, COD and ASSASSINS CREED 3 will also fly off the shelves.

Theres nothing healthy about a market that only comes to life between september and january then doesnt work properly for the rest of the year, how many studios went under this year alone only to be replaced by yet more IOS small dev teams churning out yet more Runner clones.....YAY

New Ip doesnt sell even if its amazing, sequels do even if they suck, thats terrible for core gamers, great for hobbyists and casual players, wonderful for EA and Activision, bad for almost everyone else.

As much as i know you love this time in the videogames industry and as much fun as it sometimes can be its not the golden period and the best era you mentioned in another forum post around the corner isnt going to happen, the golden era already happened dude, sorry.

I'm aware of the problems of some of the high street retailers and publishers as well. As I said in another thread, Activision is perhaps the only publisher that has been doing really well in recent years. The rapidly growing digital software business has been compensating for much of the losses on the retail side though.

A recent Gametrack report called the overall European games market stable:

http://www.isfe.eu/about-isfe/news/game ... ts-summary

They also repeat the old truth that Q4 is traditionally the strongest period of every year - so nothing unusual about that being the case. Q4 can make or break the total yearly sales figures.

I've been a little concerned about the health of the games market this year, having read about the problems of some of the retailers and the Fall-Christmas PS360PC lineup looking weaker than last year's. Plus, the approaching transition to next-gen consoles already casts a shadow on this year, while also being a source of hope further down the road.

Yeah, I'm a happy camper in the HD gaming era - and looking forward to 4K gaming on the PS4 or 5, depending on Sony's game plan. That fully VR-enabled future golden era I was talking about probably isn't around the corner just yet. That may be more of a PS5 or 6 thingy. The Oculus Rift could be a neat gadget, but most likely is just a taster of what's to come.
toaplan 74

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 04 Oct 2012, 14:18

Respectfully TOAPLAN again i have to disagree, sorry bud

Any report you show me pales in the facts that studios are closing, shops are struggling and every monitoring service and sales track shows the market has shrunk month in month out during late 2011 through 2012.

We have never had a worse time for the health of choice, quality and variation of software titles, machines launch and struggle, new ip gets great review scores, doesnt sell. 2012 is to me exactly like 1994, complete MEH, if it never happened we wouldnt have lost out on much

Yes we are in recession, yes finances are tight but the games market has now stalled and retreated into souless, half hearted sequels offering nothing of real substance. Sports game, FPS, Sequel........

VR stuff is the only real way gaming can evolve, motion control was, is and always will be a total fad, full immersion into an experience trumps anything else but we are miles away from it, the tech is not quite there, costs are sky high and with every software house churning out safe sequels nobody is going to back it into the mainstream market for years to come, but as i said those days will be amazing when we finally get there.

The worse thing though is everyones prediction that everything is going to be great when the next xbox and ps launches, having seen the very best of what mega expensive pc's can do right now theres clearly no real super leap out there, your going to get some flashier graphic effects in higher resolution for sure but its all going to be built on safe predictable game styles from the same folk churning out the safe sequels now and costs to develop are going to be so high less and less games are made month in month out.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Next