Um, CVG is developing a videogame

Your comments on our articles.

It's completely true! It probably won't be published!... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Um, CVG is developing a videogame

Postby Gretzky » 03 Oct 2012, 15:18

Interesting. I may have missed it in the article, but what's the time frame? How long do you get to build it?
Gretzky 62

Re: Um, CVG is developing a videogame

Postby Rob Crossley » 03 Oct 2012, 15:20

48 hours. No point sleeping!
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby StonecoldMC » 03 Oct 2012, 15:27

Should be a really interesting read, looking forward to seeing how you get on Rob!

I can remember when 1UP was great back in the day, they had loads of people that made the transition from Journo to Dev / House and did it pretty well: Phil, Shane, David Ellis etc . . .

Just dont try the Survival Horror genre Rob. Its just not worth it anymore :wink: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 03 Oct 2012, 15:36

StonecoldMC wrote:
Just dont try the Survival Horror genre Rob. Its just not worth it anymore :wink: .

Better yet, they could remake the game. Resident Evil 6 HD!

48 hours doesn't seem long enough to make anything other than noughts and crosses, surely to goodness?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby sulli456 » 03 Oct 2012, 15:57

FishyGinger wrote:48 hours doesn't seem long enough to make anything other than noughts and crosses, surely to goodness?

Or long enough to make a game so fantastic with a non linear and great storyline with multiple endings and top notch graphics, and put all other devs to shame.

Should be interesting to see what comes out, you spend all day with different games judging them seeing what they do right and what they do wrong while working with a community you should have a good idea of what a game needs to be successful. Good luck to you. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it.
sulli456 47

Postby billysastard » 03 Oct 2012, 16:35

don't forget that if it has to compete with modern games you dont need to check for bugs and you can skip half the game and release it later as dlc and if its going to be aimed at the i-sheep store, just clone a more famous game, apple are bound to approve it.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby El Mag » 03 Oct 2012, 16:36

Something similar to this classic.

But with patients named after regular posters, doctors named after the CVG staff and diseases named after gamey things we'd recognise like YLOD and RROD.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby martinawatson » 03 Oct 2012, 16:50

El Mag wrote:Something similar to this classic.

But with patients named after regular posters, doctors named after the CVG staff and diseases named after gamey things we'd recognise like YLOD and RROD.

I can see it now, with a little version of me bending over with my trousers down, and other characters commenting "now , thats a really savage moon" :)
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 03 Oct 2012, 16:58

I can see the review now...

"overall this game is not worth paying full price for........10/10"
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby sulli456 » 03 Oct 2012, 16:59

martinawatson wrote:
El Mag wrote:Something similar to this classic.

I can see it now, with a little version of me bending over with my trousers down, and other characters commenting "now , thats a really savage moon" :)

"He really does have a RROD" :lol:
sulli456 47

Postby dwhlufc » 03 Oct 2012, 17:00

billysastard wrote:don't forget that if it has to compete with modern games you dont need to check for bugs and you can skip half the game and release it later as dlc and if its going to be aimed at the i-sheep store, just clone a more famous game, apple are bound to approve it.

Bastion is an original game ported to iPad. :lol:
dwhlufc 76

Postby drunkadin » 03 Oct 2012, 17:13

Incoming Leisure Suit Larry 18.
drunkadin 39

Postby alan666 » 03 Oct 2012, 17:52

Will it be a proper indie game or just some random iphone app/game
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 03 Oct 2012, 18:34

48 hours for an old school bedroom coder can produce miracles, this generation of game devs however are tied to graphics engines, scripting and having to all sit around for 6 months just talking about stuff and using white boards for ideas. An old school buddy of mine works for lionhead, the stuff he tells me goes on makes you realise why games now take years to come out, the internal politics would drive most of us normal people mad.

The good old days of shut up, sit down, get it done have long gone, even the tea boy has a weekly meeting to discuss sugar requirements.

Its probably going to be full of bugs, detracted from its original template and a clone of several other games, a bit shoddy really.

I will give it 8/10 lol lol lol

Sorry couldnt resist!

In all honesty swapping job roles allows people to get a far better understanding of things outside their current expertise so they can appreciate how hard things can be for other folk, its quite a cool idea.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Padua » 03 Oct 2012, 18:45

Way to go - 48 hour challenge :lol:

You guys should design a CVG Little Big Planet or Minecraft level sometime :mrgreen:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Next