Resident Evil 6 trades 'niche' horror for mass-market appeal

Your comments on our articles.

Traditional Resi gameplay not enough for mainstream audience

Resident Evil 6 may have more of the Hollywood-style action that sells games nowadays, but this change of pace has polarized fans of the series.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby liquidtmd » 02 Oct 2012, 22:32

This makes zero sense. Resident Evil 1 - 3 = mainstream smashes, one of the biggest franchises on playstation and most recognisible across all formats for nigh on a deade. Its name and reputation to many is still based on the framework of these titles.

To say to base a game on the structure of the games that their cashing in on would be niche is garbage. If there so confident in the product, call it 'zombie hunter'. But they wont. They know the Resi brand carries strength on those former glories and just want justification to expand into shooter/multiplayer/easier to pimp DLC territory.
liquidtmd 10

Postby zinaptik » 02 Oct 2012, 22:32

mass-market appeal by which you mean turn what once was a good horror game into a call of duty clone and following the same dreadful road the movies have always followed by having ridiculous action set pieces and then have half the game be interactive movie, I bet RE 7 will be a FPS.
zinaptik 47

Postby kirankara » 02 Oct 2012, 22:32

Can't believe they this stupid. In short term, they might fun, but in long term they lose both the fans of series and the mainstream crowd, who are notoriously fickle. Thought all business knew that more important than a sale is a customer, who goes back repeatedly to a company. They will end up with neither in long term
kirankara 57

Re: Resident Evil 6 trades 'niche' horror for mass-market ap

Postby StuM » 02 Oct 2012, 22:42

Put it this way, they'll certainly sell a lot LESS of this game considering the way they've made it, as oppose to if they had made it a genuine Resident Evil survival horror.

...did he consider 1-3 being a "niche" game that he shouldn't have gambled on?
StuM 43

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 02 Oct 2012, 22:49

In other words Capcom you sold out!

The thing is, Capcom have shot themselves in the foot here. Mass market appeal can go hand in hand with horror, look at Resi 4, one of the best selling games on the ps2. Look at Dead Space. It can be done. Instead, Capcom have decided they want a piece of the call of duty pie and have ruined their biggest franchise to get a slice. But ultimately, Capcom will lose. The Call of Duty market is fickle, and the shooter surge is dying already, dont believe me then look at Guitar Hero for a perfect example. Capcom have jumped on the gravy train at the last stop, sure Resi 6 may sell well to underage glue sniffers and Xbox Live hermits but in a month or two the servers will be dead. No-one will be the inevitable DLC packs because Call of Duty 18 will be out and everyone will have moved on. And when Capcom realise their error and try to move the series back to a horror one, the gamers who helped make the series what it is will not be there to buy it.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Postby Stryker89 » 02 Oct 2012, 22:57

An unnecessary 'evolution', Capcom...

Operation Raccoon City proved that the Resident Evil title alone is enough to sell a s**tload of copies. If you'd cut the budget down a bit and made a traditional RE game that long term fans would love, RE6 will still sell around the region of 5 million copies and more, guaranteed. You'd be making a pretty handsome profit as well. I hope when the next-gen systems come around, you'll realise that not all games have to be AAA CoD clones in order to sell to the masses.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby flash501 » 02 Oct 2012, 23:02

Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi says that some of the series' more traditional gameplay and horror elements would prove to be too niche, and the game's new action-oriented pace was necessary to achieve mass-market appeal and improve salability.

Statements like this are becoming depressingly common these days. I personally think it's bullshit though. Ok, a brand new ip might struggle to sell large numbers if it is firmly in "Survival Horror" territory, but Resident Evil is such a huge name, it is guaranteed to sell massive numbers regardless of what the game is actually like. (Ironically, Resi 6 will prove this point perfectly by selling an insane amount despite being, by all accounts, a bit s**t!)

It's just another case of a greedy publisher trying to get a piece of the CoD pie. It's a sad state of affairs when pubs think that they need to make their game as generic and "safe" as possible to maximise sales.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby darry » 02 Oct 2012, 23:27

I don't see this as much of a shock at all - in what other media do you see exactly the same pattern?

Horror films.
darry 55

Postby S-Smith » 03 Oct 2012, 00:52

It just seems they just want to please Xbox fans. You know boring Gears of War gameplay etc etc
S-Smith 41

Postby MrPirtniw » 03 Oct 2012, 02:33

S-Smith wrote:It just seems they just want to please Xbox fans. You know boring Gears of War gameplay etc etc

Boring Gears of War gameplay? You mean like the gameplay that a large part of Uncharted 2 and 3 is made up of? :lol: you sir, are the very definition of 'idiot'. Well done.

Agree with the other posts though- this is simply Capcom whoring out the resi name in order to sell more copies. If you've ever read some of the fan kids comments they're usually made up of "I only really buy Resi for the story" or "I hope you get to see Chris with his shirt off". Sod the actual gameplay- who cares about trivial things like that anymore? That's soooo 1993.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 03 Oct 2012, 08:45

I'll be honest, I don't really understand people complaining about RE not being survival horror anymore.

What does that even mean though? Have you even thought about it? what are you actually wanting?

A game set in a creepy location?
Set at night?
Single player?
Fixed camera angles?
Shocks?

Is that what you mean?

In resident evil in 1996 you ran around corridors with a rocket launcher, not that scary was it? Think back. Same as in Resi 2012.
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Postby richomack360 » 03 Oct 2012, 08:52

Oh please, this article is a wind up surely ? They even admitted in an article they wanted the CoD crowd - Capcom, please pull your head out of your backside and look at the sales figures for your first three games - and tell me that isnt a mass market appeal.

Idiots. Absolute idiots. Not only have you ruined your franchise you have ruined your most important IP. it isn't worth 8/10, we have already debated that to death.

..and to those sad sad people who say its a good shooter ? Let me know your home addrss so i can come round with a monkeywrench, blowtorch and a sack full of insults about your mother.

NEO_SUPERMAN wrote:I'll be honest, I don't really understand people complaining about RE not being survival horror anymore.

What does that even mean though? Have you even thought about it? what are you actually wanting?

Set at night?
Single player?
Fixed camera angles?
Shocks?

Is that what you mean?

In resident evil in 1996 you ran around corridors with a rocket launcher, not that scary was it? Think back. Same as in Resi 2012.

I take it you didn't really play the first set of Resident Evil's otherwise you wouldn't make such a stupid comment infront of people.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby budge » 03 Oct 2012, 08:58

I blame this generation of kids because:

A. All they ever play is COD or FIFA

B. It's easy to blame them.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby petewasbristol » 03 Oct 2012, 09:07

He mentions the word horror 7 times in that article. An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust? I think not.
petewasbristol 15

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 03 Oct 2012, 09:14

richomack360 wrote:Oh please, this article is a wind up surely ? They even admitted in an article they wanted the CoD crowd - Capcom, please pull your head out of your backside and look at the sales figures for your first three games - and tell me that isnt a mass market appeal.

Idiots. Absolute idiots. Not only have you ruined your franchise you have ruined your most important IP. it isn't worth 8/10, we have already debated that to death.

..and to those sad sad people who say its a good shooter ? Let me know your home addrss so i can come round with a monkeywrench, blowtorch and a sack full of insults about your mother.

NEO_SUPERMAN wrote:I'll be honest, I don't really understand people complaining about RE not being survival horror anymore.

Set at night?
Single player?
Fixed camera angles?
Shocks?

Is that what you mean?

I take it you didn't really play the first set of Resident Evil's otherwise you wouldn't make such a stupid comment infront of people.

You shouldn't make incorrect assumptions about people. It makes you sound stupid.
I've played every single one thanks very much. Loved the first games, except 3 which was terrible, although 4 is easily the best in the series, followed by the GameCube remake. The games have evolved with technology, are you one of the "nothing should ever change, ever" purists?

Good job on sounding like an idiot though.
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Next