Opinion: PES is back on form, and that's good news even for

Your comments on our articles.

Every football fan should care about Konami's quest to crush the monopoly, argues Dan Dawkins

You might not agree with me, but I think PES 2013 is as good as FIFA 13. In many ways, it's even better. But it barely matters; FIFA has completely, utterly, outsold PES so far.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: PES is back on form, and that's good news even for

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 02 Oct 2012, 12:04

I pefer Fifa this year, gave both demos a chance and I personally think fifa offers more depth. Thats my opinion though, ive always liked fifa more, except one year when pes 5 blew my socks off. That said, there is one thing I hate about fifa with a passion and thats the passing. This isnt new, its been an issue ever since the new ball physics came in with fifa 11 (I believe). Before, a standard pass and through pass were completely different things, and they worked splendidly. Now, they are a f**king mess. Press A/X for a standard pass and 50% of the time thats what you get, the other 50% you get a half cooked through pass. Press Y/Triangle and you get what I can only describe as a total f**k up. Pressing Y now just gives the ball to the opposition. It doesnt knock the ball forward into space for your player to run onto it, it either knocks it short or just delivers a simple pass. And this f**ks me off no end. Now Im pretty good on fifa, this isnt just me not knowing how to power a pass, the system is fundamentally broken and delivers hours of frustration for me.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Re: Opinion: PES is back on form, and that's good news even

Postby Reegeee » 02 Oct 2012, 12:25

Yeh I agree with you, it doesn't seem to happen to me too much but every now and then you do seem to get a through ball rather than a normal pass. They need to make a new engine for FIFA basically.

Having said that I still think it's better than PES. I only played the demo but I do think people got carried away with it just simply because it actually was a good game for once. I liked it too but it still has at least another year to go to get itself sorted IMO. I was a PES player since I had it on the N64 up till FIFA 09, but people look back on those games with rose tinted specs. Yes they where great, but for me FIFA since 09 has been better than any past PES to be honest.

Another thing that keeps on FIFA is the sheer number of modes. You get so much for your money. That and the career mode is actually really good now, which was the one thing PES had to get me back. The Master League was awesome, but I couldn't go back to that 2 league system now that FIFA has finally managed to create a proper world of football with the career.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby dwhlufc » 02 Oct 2012, 12:52

I purchased PES13 day 1 and it started out great but this article and countless reviews forgot to mention a few problems that detract the fun from the game. There's no league mode which is just ridiculous in a football game. Secondly heading and crossing is still hit and miss, players are far to often caught underneath the ball which just ends up with balls honing over the bar time after time.

I eventually sold it and I'm on FIFA13 now which just has more game modes for single player and online minded gamers that its unreal. It's still got its flaws in parts for me but its definitley the less frustrating and more enjoyable game this year.

Ill happily jump ship next year of konami don't drop the ball again with regards to game modes. They also need to get the 360 degree controls in and sort out the free player movement so that players can sctually tussle for the ball.
dwhlufc 76

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 02 Oct 2012, 13:32

DAEDALUS79 wrote:I pefer Fifa this year, gave both demos a chance and I personally think fifa offers more depth. Thats my opinion though, ive always liked fifa more, except one year when pes 5 blew my socks off. That said, there is one thing I hate about fifa with a passion and thats the passing. This isnt new, its been an issue ever since the new ball physics came in with fifa 11 (I believe). Before, a standard pass and through pass were completely different things, and they worked splendidly. Now, they are a f**king mess. Press A/X for a standard pass and 50% of the time thats what you get, the other 50% you get a half cooked through pass. Press Y/Triangle and you get what I can only describe as a total f**k up. Pressing Y now just gives the ball to the opposition. It doesnt knock the ball forward into space for your player to run onto it, it either knocks it short or just delivers a simple pass. And this f**ks me off no end. Now Im pretty good on fifa, this isnt just me not knowing how to power a pass, the system is fundamentally broken and delivers hours of frustration for me.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I don't even use through ball at all now because it always goes to the opposition and 50% of the time press pass is through ball. But that's the thing, it's hard to know when it'll be a through ball or a pass so you hope for the best.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 02 Oct 2012, 13:45

Im glad a few others have noticed the passing problem and im not alone. Its not a game breaking fault, it just makes the passing unpredictable, but in a bad way. It artificially makes the game harder in a very cheap way, because you can never know what kind of pass you will get when you press the button. Sometimes you get lucky and its perfect, but mostly you get something you dont want entirely, or the right pass but in the wrong direction. Really needs addressing for the next generation of fifas, its the only thing about the game I really dont like.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 75

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 02 Oct 2012, 13:46

dwhlufc wrote:I purchased PES13 day 1 and it started out great but this article and countless reviews forgot to mention a few problems that detract the fun from the game. There's no league mode which is just ridiculous in a football game. Secondly heading and crossing is still hit and miss, players are far to often caught underneath the ball which just ends up with balls honing over the bar time after time.

I eventually sold it and I'm on FIFA13 now which just has more game modes for single player and online minded gamers that its unreal. It's still got its flaws in parts for me but its definitley the less frustrating and more enjoyable game this year.

Ill happily jump ship next year of konami don't drop the ball again with regards to game modes. They also need to get the 360 degree controls in and sort out the free player movement so that players can sctually tussle for the ball.

This. PES this year has leapt forward, really enjoyed the demo. But to equate this as been on a par with FIFA is nonsense. For me it is where FIFA 11 was, a solid football game but with a lot of niggles, the omission of a league mode is frankly unforgiveable together with the powderpuff shooting, weird passing, bland front end presentation and random glitches put it behind FIFA imo. FIFA 13 is not without its flaws, the difficulty levels are still bizarre, player animations range from realisitc to mental and it perhaps does not still reward 'clever' play enough. But what FIFA 13 is is complete, tons of modes, options, customisation, a real footballing feel with the new random elements in-game, it looks superb, plays superb it's just he whole package with surprising little tweaks (a player getting booked for not moving a wall back, a keeper getting sent off for hacking you down in the last minute etc)

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Y2Ken » 02 Oct 2012, 14:34

I switched to PES when PES2 came out, and stayed there right up until PES 2010. Finally switched with FIFA 11, and that game has kept me going for the last two years (neither FIFA 12 nor PES 2012 impressed me enough last year to go out and grab). However, I am feeling ready to switch - the FIFA league held me for a couple of seasons but nothing like the time I spent in the Master League in PES 4 and PES 6. That said although I did enjoy the more recent Master Leagues they didn't hold up as well as they used to.

I'll definitely go and give PES 2013 a shot. Great article Dan.
Y2Ken 14

Postby Reegeee » 02 Oct 2012, 16:40

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Im glad a few others have noticed the passing problem and im not alone. Its not a game breaking fault, it just makes the passing unpredictable, but in a bad way. It artificially makes the game harder in a very cheap way, because you can never know what kind of pass you will get when you press the button. Sometimes you get lucky and its perfect, but mostly you get something you dont want entirely, or the right pass but in the wrong direction. Really needs addressing for the next generation of fifas, its the only thing about the game I really dont like.

The problem is definitely there, and I agree with you when you mentioned it came about on FIFA 11 when they put that 2 button system in.

If you stick the passing on 'semi' though it helps a hell of a lot and pretty much eliminates that problem IMO.
Reegeee 75

Postby theideal » 02 Oct 2012, 18:07

Real men go manual.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 73

Postby Nickynak » 02 Oct 2012, 18:20

PES is a good FIFA substitute but having played PES2012 for several months this year I got fed up with the shooting, ball physics and online system, all of these are better in FIFA 11 even.
Nickynak 2
New user

Postby Reegeee » 02 Oct 2012, 19:17

theideal wrote:Real men go manual.

:lol: One day I might step up to the plate, one day.
Reegeee 75

Postby Lurf » 02 Oct 2012, 21:59

Even though Fifa is a pretty good game I've never felt the excitement PES gives me. PES just has to remove some of it's frustrating issues. Like player that are on rails and can't be taken off when you notice they are not going to make the endpoint of the pass. Masterleague online was usually bad, perhaps because as a European I was often matched to south americans. Unplayable due to lag. PES can also use some of Fifa's fluidity in animations, better commentary and athmospheric sound. I'm very curious to see how it will play/lool next year. PES FTW!
Lurf 26

Postby steagz » 02 Oct 2012, 22:20

Reegeee wrote:Yeh I agree with you, it doesn't seem to happen to me too much but every now and then you do seem to get a through ball rather than a normal pass. They need to make a new engine for FIFA basically.

Having said that I still think it's better than PES. I only played the demo but I do think people got carried away with it just simply because it actually was a good game for once. I liked it too but it still has at least another year to go to get itself sorted IMO. I was a PES player since I had it on the N64 up till FIFA 09, but people look back on those games with rose tinted specs. Yes they where great, but for me FIFA since 09 has been better than any past PES to be honest.

Another thing that keeps on FIFA is the sheer number of modes. You get so much for your money. That and the career mode is actually really good now, which was the one thing PES had to get me back. The Master League was awesome, but I couldn't go back to that 2 league system now that FIFA has finally managed to create a proper world of football with the career.

you never had PES on the n64. the n64 ISS games were totally different games to the pro evo series
steagz 22

Postby Reegeee » 02 Oct 2012, 22:37

Well I had ISS64 if you want to be pedantic, and then every one up until PES 6. I had 2008 too and thought that was decent despite the stick it got. I thought FIFA 08 was still way too slow. It was only on the Euro 08 game that I converted properly.
Reegeee 75

Postby steagz » 02 Oct 2012, 22:40

oh look theirs a great football game over their called PES YES BUT IT DOES NOT SAY FIFA ON THE CASE DOES IT oh yes you are right what action do we take?

lets make believe it does not exist and just buy fifa anyway. reguardless of any truths about what we have heard about PES being back to its best
steagz 22

Next