Retrospective: GTA III / Vice City

Your comments on our articles.

Babes, Banshees and 8-Ball - The Golden Joysticks take a GTA-inspired joyride...

"Mah hands are all messed up, so you'd better drive brother!" A prison break turns ugly, and 8-ball is callin' for a ride. GTA III starts with a literal bang, shoving you head-first into the antics of Claude (bizarrely nameless until the GTA: SA reveal), fighting the corrupted ghetto-lined streets of Liberty City. And yes, it's bloody and yes, it's ridiculous. And yes, it's freaking awesome.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retrospective: GTA III / Vice City

Postby ensabahnur » 01 Oct 2012, 13:35

No mention of the Vice City soundtrack? For me that was what made the game so much better than GTA3, even the inclusion of helicopters paled in significance to the soundtrack, especially Emotion 98.3 and its host Fernando Martinez. The Cutting Crew, Crockett's Theme, Run to You, Sister Christian, Kate Bush's WoW, Broken Wings, Dance Hall Days, The Buggles, Life's What You Make It, Toto's Africa. All these songs and artists were used to create the effect of the 80's and if you had any sense of consciousness during the 80's these songs meant something to you and when playing you were whisked back to that feeling of being in the 80's again.

Vice City is a memory game, as in it invokes memories, flashbacks to what you were doing the first time you heard The Buggles or the first time you saw a RELAX t-shirt. For me San Andreas was a far superior game for the actual movement and gameplay but they nailed the setting for Vice City in such a way that i think they're will never be another game like it.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Re: Retrospective: GTA III / Vice City

Postby El Mag » 01 Oct 2012, 13:46

Thanks for mentioning the Vice City soundtrack first, it might have looked sad if I kicked it off with saying I bought the Flash and Emotion soundtrack albums.

We were running with the night
Playing in the shadows
Just you and I
Till the morning light!

Sorry.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby ensabahnur » 01 Oct 2012, 13:50

El Mag wrote:Thanks for mentioning the Vice City soundtrack first, it might have looked sad if I kicked it off with saying I bought the Flash and Emotion soundtrack albums.

Playing in the shadows
Just you and I
Till the morning light!

Sorry.
We were running,,,,,,, we were running, running with the night.

Don't worry Mag, i have the Emotion, Flash and Wave 103 CD's in the house and have ripped most of them to my phone.

Its still the best game soundtrack EVER!!
ensabahnur 68

Postby SoulChimera » 01 Oct 2012, 14:56

Yep, another Vice City soundtrack fan here. Absolutely awesome.

I love the GTA games, some of my fondest memories of gaming over the past 30 years.

Can't wait for GTA V.
Big Money!
Big Prizes!
I Love It!!
SoulChimera 61

Postby cloakedvengance » 01 Oct 2012, 15:00

Without a doubt my favourite GTA, nuff said. HD remake with achievements please R*
cloakedvengance 40

Postby Ali_ » 01 Oct 2012, 19:14

ensabahnur wrote:
El Mag wrote:Thanks for mentioning the Vice City soundtrack first, it might have looked sad if I kicked it off with saying I bought the Flash and Emotion soundtrack albums.

Playing in the shadows
Just you and I
Till the morning light!

Sorry.
We were running,,,,,,, we were running, running with the night.

Don't worry Mag, i have the Emotion, Flash and Wave 103 CD's in the house and have ripped most of them to my phone.

Its still the best game soundtrack EVER!!

I bought the boxset and still have it in mint condition. OK, so nobody ever listens to anything outside Flash, Emotion, Wave and V-Rock, but I'm glad I did. The others just didn't do it for me. San Andreas soundtrack was terrible in comparison.
Ali_ 58

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 01 Oct 2012, 19:19

Slayer. 8)
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby alan666 » 01 Oct 2012, 20:15

Vice City is still one of the best games ever made.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby ensabahnur » 02 Oct 2012, 09:41

Ali_ wrote:

I bought the boxset and still have it in mint condition. OK, so nobody ever listens to anything outside Flash, Emotion, Wave and V-Rock, but I'm glad I did. The others just didn't do it for me. San Andreas soundtrack was terrible in comparison.
Your arse!! We hear you cruising by, with the windows down, blaring out Radio Espantoso and K-Jah.

But yeah, brilliant soundtrack Vice City had.
ensabahnur 68