Sony's Fergal Gara: 'We are nowhere close to giving up on PS

Your comments on our articles.

Interview: PlayStation UK managing director speaks to CVG about the master-plan for Christmas

Only twelve months ago the managing director of PlayStation UK was in charge of customer experience at one of Britain's largest supermarkets, and the knowledge he carries with him is telling.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony's Fergal Gara: 'We are nowhere close to giving up on PS

Postby StonecoldMC » 01 Oct 2012, 09:44

Really good interview and the guy came across as surprisingly honest :shock: .

He knows the market he wants this Christmas, its just up to the marketing department to nail it.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Re: Sony's Fergal Gara: 'We are nowhere close to giving up o

Postby CrispyLog » 01 Oct 2012, 10:32

Bit dubious about how the new superslim PS3 + Wonderbook can compete with the WiiU for families and casuals at Christmas, he might be a bit too hopeful there.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 76

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
PSN ID: CrispinLog
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby S-Smith » 01 Oct 2012, 10:37

Hopefully then 'Retail' will be selling the (basic, with no games)12GB PS3 at £150'ish by Xmas & the 500GB PS3 at under £199'ish to. It's just the price of the New PS3's that doesn't convince me that they will be the best seller this Xmas. I hope i am wrong. Good interview to. Fergal Gara sounds like he knows what he is doing lol
S-Smith 41

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 01 Oct 2012, 11:12

Great interview CVG.

On the Wonderbook topic, Sony have teamed up with some great family writers. The JK Rowling entry will no doubt shift some millions as it's new content.

FYI The Harry Potter Series has totalled more than 450 million sales worldwide!!!! That's an audience worth tapping.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 01 Oct 2012, 11:30

"Yes, and we haven't made these consoles difficult to upgrade. If
you want to take a drive from an older PS3, and carry all your data
over, then the basic model would make more sense. "

So is this guy lying to us or have Sony made the new PS3's to no longer wipe the HDD that gets plugged into it? He's saying here that you can take your HDD out of your current PS3 and put it in the new one and carry on with you games with files intact.

Now that's never been possible before so can anyone clarify this?
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Agent75 » 01 Oct 2012, 12:58

No probs, Sony. The Wii U will just march on like the Wii (from 96 million units sold), the Xbox 360 will be behind it, not forgetting that there might be a price drop soon. Sooner rather than later, the Xbox 720 will be out. The 3DS is also marching on, the Vita is dragging its feet.
Agent75 49

Postby martinawatson » 01 Oct 2012, 16:49

A psVita and ps3 box set is a must , cross play in my eyes should absolutely be a big focus , even if it does not do the numbers you expect, bundling the two together will really help to promote the message that there's a big connection, highlighting the software that actually does crossplay well, will truly do that though.
I really hope that retailers do some cracking deals , but at the end of the day a lot has got to do with clever marketing, last year the PS3 was chipping away at the 360, then suddenly when Christmas came, the 360 sold 3 million+ and the PS3 was back at square one again, Microsoft don't miss any opportunity, and Nintendo had very clear almost Apple quality ads with well chosen celebs.
If there are Harry Potter movies on at Christmas, then there definitely should be a number of wonderbook adverts on in-between. Sony's campaign last Christmas was very weak, it must of taken the ad team at least 2 minutes to think it up, didn't show the products in any clear way at all, almost cringe worthy, certainly not cool, flip back to the PS2 advertising , its night and day.
Talking about the Christmas period last year, I feel the store was too static, there should be new deals every day, and something happening in home every day too. Folks going round other families houses should be seeing the ps3 in the best light and want to go off and purchase one, i.e. I could see the Activision bond game on the store dirt cheap and folks having battles with their favourite Bond's, Jaws, bond girls etc, sports champions with the move controller is really excellent-it craps all over the WII.
Microsoft do a very good job of promoting games and making folks think that their exclusive to that format, Call of Duty declassified and the brilliant looking new Killzone game are totally exclusive for the VITA, so they should definitely be in an ad.
Anyway good luck Fergal , go for it. :)
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67

Postby BeansOnToast » 04 Oct 2012, 19:30

Considering Fergal Gara has a supermarket background I'd have thought his best strategy would be placing the Wonderbook PS3 pack on the "impulse buy" shelf next to the chewing gum and TicTacs at high street shop checkouts.
BeansOnToast 30

Postby MacroManJr » 15 Oct 2012, 15:02

CrispyLog wrote:Bit dubious about how the new superslim PS3 + Wonderbook can compete with the WiiU for families and casuals at Christmas, he might be a bit too hopeful there.

Hey, Wii U is not just for casuals and families. In fact, most people I know interested in Wii U are core gamers. Games like the Wii U-exclusive Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, a new title in development from Retro Studios, new HD Zelda in development, and the new Super Smash Bros. game all in development have quite the number of core gamers' attention on Wii U. Most families and casuals aren't even aware what a Wii U is at the moment.
People suck.
MacroManJr 3
New user