to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

10 reasons to get excited about XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Your comments on our articles.

Civilization ceators Firaxis resurrect the classic turn-based strategy series

While 2K Marin are transforming XCOM into a tactical FPS, Firaxis have gone back to the series' isometric strategy roots with Enemy Unknown. Here are ten reasons why it's the comeback we've been dreaming of since 1994.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

10 reasons to get excited about XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Postby MrPirtniw » 30 Sep 2012, 19:25

Oh, I am excited CVG. In a way others might even believe to be a bit perverse. I've been following it since it was announced and for a while the cynic in me expected it to be a bit crap but I'm currently sat here devouring my words.

The gameplay video that I watched did leave me with 3 gripes though- the size of the squad has been cut down to 6- maximum. The old Xcom games let you have about 20 soldiers or something. Can't remember the exact number.

The map the level took place on seemed a little small... I hope that's not the case in the other missions as slowly making your way around the map whilst constantly remaining on edge as you searched for something fugly to shoot was a big part of it for me.

I'm not sure if the level layouts are randomised- if not then that could make multiple playthroughs a little dull.

But I digress, I'm really looking forward to it- it'll be good to use my brain during a console game again. Last time I switched it on was for Banjo Kazooie N&B's!
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Re: 10 reasons to get excited about XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Postby budge » 30 Sep 2012, 20:33

Even more hyped for this now, custom made characters will make it even more of a loss when squad members are KIA. I used to hate losing my personally named buddies in the original game all those years ago.

It would be even better if they added mouse & keyboard as an optional way to play in the console versions.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby TheBusterMan » 01 Oct 2012, 01:55

Loved the original on Amiga CD32 and Playstation(even bought the official Playstation mouse to play it) Used to hate loosing my troops.Loved building bases and doing the research.I'm wary of this.Remember the 'update' of Syndicate? :(
TheBusterMan 48

Postby ingy » 01 Oct 2012, 10:13

I love x-com, but that last gameplay video they put out looked awful.

Tiny maps with scripted aliens and no exploration, i'm hoping that the film was just put together to give an idea of combat and not indicative of the final product.....fingers crossed.
ingy 64

Postby Sleepaphobic » 01 Oct 2012, 10:49

From what I read so far the PC version will in fact be more tactical.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic