to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

CVG Classics: 'Nintendo poised to enter 32-bit war!'

Your comments on our articles.

Issue 156, September 1994: Rise of the Robots - 91%

It's that time of the week... when we run home and play FIFA until we fall asleep to the sound of a disgruntled Xbox Live opponent wondering why we won't kick off the second half.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CVG Classics: 'Nintendo poised to enter 32-bit war!'

Postby Paul_Boland2 » 28 Sep 2012, 17:50

I had this issue, still think it's around somewhere. Aw, Rise Of The Robots. Such an epic concept, so much hype, and when I got it and played it, rubbish!! I don't think I ever got passed the first robot! LO!!!
Paul_Boland2 49

Re: CVG Classics: 'Nintendo poised to enter 32-bit war!'

Postby Laughlyn » 28 Sep 2012, 18:44

Street Racer is deffinitly an IP Ubisoft should be looking at re-doing. it would be perfect for the 3DS and Vita. Out of all the mario kart clones since the snes days that was one of the most enjoyable, even to this day. Nintendo also need to be doing something about bringing Uniracer out as well, i could imagine that working well on 3DS or Wii U
Laughlyn 55

Postby DoomGuy84 » 28 Sep 2012, 18:50

Nice to see myself on the front cover :P Theres some great games in that issue - AvP, Bomberman 2, Doom 2, Sonic & Knuckles...that truly was the golden age of gaming!
DoomGuy84 30

Postby lonewolf2002 » 28 Sep 2012, 19:26

Rise of the Robots PC £49.99 lol that was in 1994, 2012 PC games 25-35 for AAA titles. :lol:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby fatherofthenoo » 28 Sep 2012, 22:43

I do love these classic CVG moments. But oh how they make me pine for the golden age of gaming. 1994, I was... 12. Gaming was still so new and exciting at that age.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby TerrorK » 29 Sep 2012, 07:13

I think not just CVG, but all game reviewers, should learn from this. Looking back and laughing at Rise of the Robots getting a 91 and 90 is fair enough, but keep in mind than it's very likely similar things will be done in 15 to 20 years time with some of today's game reviews.

Such as... oh, I dunno... Mass Effect 3.
TerrorK 55

Postby toaplan » 29 Sep 2012, 12:04

So many fine SNES and Megadrive games reviewed in a single issue: Bomberman 2, Mega Bomberman, Micro Machines 2, Earthworm Jim, Street Racer, Probotector / Contra MD and Red Zone all deserved a high score. Sonic & Knuckles, Mickey Mania, Sparkster, Batman & Robin and Urban Strike were pretty good too. Rise of the Robots was terrible though. It was only a few months until the momentuous Japanese launch of the PS1 and the Saturn, but the 16-bit consoles were still going strong.

AvP on the Jaguar and Super Stardust on the A1200 are special games, as they were one of the few decent games on the respective systems. Housemarque, the makers of Super Stardust, are an old studio and still run by one of the founders.

Magic Carpet was one of the games - alongside Doom 1 & 2, X-Wing and Tie Fighter - that showed the potential of the PC as a gaming machine and that it was a capable platform graphically. However, the launch of next-gen consoles in 1994 again overshadowed the PC, which returned to the forefront again in the late 90's with the arrival and development of dedicated GPUs.

It was an exciting time to be a gamer, but I think the golden era of gaming is still to come. It should begin, when a fully-developed 360 degree wireless VR headset magically transforms my living room into vast, totally immersive gaming worlds 8)
toaplan 74

Postby kevine729 » 29 Sep 2012, 12:18

This was a pivotal issue for CVG credibility - I was representing an amusement company at the time, and had links with the mag through one of their illustrious writers - supplying arcade game reviews and copy.

The dropping of the ball with the 'paid' 91% review of Rise of the Robots - reviewing a game that did at that time not actually exist - started the whole ball rolling about what was going on at the magazine (as well as others that also hyped vapourware), and how trustworthy was the editorial teams? The Nintendo 32-bit made-up story was the lesser of two evils.

I remember being called up by the then writer wanting to talk about Rise of the Robots on the Mastertronic arcade platform - as we were one of the few SDK operators. When we turned round and said it was all hype and no reality he had to come clean about the review. After a long pause, I had to weigh up if we wanted to still be associated with the mag knowing that this whole house of wax would be crashing down soon... and it did.

I praise the web-team for running this look back at past issues, and also for highlighting this past issue, even though it places CVG's previous record in a slight shadow.
kevine729 10

Postby kevine729 » 29 Sep 2012, 12:25

TerrorK wrote:I think not just CVG, but all game reviewers, should learn from this. Looking back and laughing at Rise of the Robots getting a 91 and 90 is fair enough, but keep in mind than it's very likely similar things will be done in 15 to 20 years time with some of today's game reviews.

Such as... oh, I dunno... Mass Effect 3.

Totally agree, but when you have poorly paid and treated sub-reviewers receive 'inducements' from publishers and supporters you can see how fake reviews can be created. It was this situation that saw CRASH and the other Ludlow magazines go to the wall, as they had to come clean over brought reviews. Some of those cohorts ended up at EMAP and working on CVG, and so brought their 'creative' reviewing skills to the mag.

I am amazed how history seems to be repeating itself in such a short time with first the 'brought' DRIVER review looking so much like Rise of the Robots - and now all the E3 shenanigans. Wonder if the consumer game scene is about to go through another 1984?
kevine729 10

Postby gillri » 29 Sep 2012, 14:33

fatherofthenoo wrote:I do love these classic CVG moments. But oh how they make me pine for the golden age of gaming. 1994, I was... 12. Gaming was still so new and exciting at that age.

me too! I was 12 also and brought CVG regularly from about 9/10 years old

but i gotta say thats nostalgia talking, im the same I listened to some old Videogame music the other day and boy it brought memories back
gillri 50

Postby stealth » 29 Sep 2012, 14:43

nintendo is cool
stealth 47

Postby cult » 29 Sep 2012, 16:41

stealth wrote:nintendo was cool
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby vectrexman » 29 Sep 2012, 19:54

Wow that issue is a blast from the past to say the least! I remember buying it when on holiday 'down saarrrff' to visit some relatives when I was 10. I've got a copy of the review somewhere I think but the cover got cut up (probably for the Doom guy) and the only thing I really remember was it having the double barrel shotgun on the front :D

I remember drooling over the Doom 2 review all through that holiday and I remember that the floppy disks for it had arrived when we returned home. It was the first ever game I installed on a PC myself... ahhhhh nostalgia 8) (man I feel old now!)
vectrexman 3

Postby stealth » 29 Sep 2012, 20:29

cult wrote:
stealth wrote:nintendo was cool

nintendo IS cool

its why they sell billions of units of software
stealth 47

Postby gmcb007 » 29 Sep 2012, 20:57

Not this again....
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Next