to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PlayStation eyes 'perfect opportunity' to take lead at Chris

Your comments on our articles.

UK boss Gara thinks Nintendo's Wii U transition opens space for PS3 casual push

The managing director of PlayStation UK, Fergal Gara, has said the business is set to embark on a "casual audience breakthrough" with both the new PS3 and the JK Rowling-backed Wonderbook project.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Balladeer » 28 Sep 2012, 16:45

Looking forward, he explained that, as Nintendo transitions to the Wii U and begins to find its footing, the PS3's firm foundations and the strength of Wonderbook could steer it to success.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't Wonderbook be trying to find its footing as well?

Also apparently the new JK Rowling book is kinda rubbish. Dunno what that means for Wonderbook, just... making conversation I suppose.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TheRandyNinja » 28 Sep 2012, 16:47

i actually thought the playstation move was a good effort mag was amazing with it imo but the playstation eye quality was awful it would have been cool to have the psmove working with the kinect.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Re: PlayStation eyes 'perfect opportunity' to take lead at C

Postby S-Smith » 28 Sep 2012, 17:57

The console(the ps3) is not cheap enough really for SONY to take the lead this Christmas. Mainly because the casual market want cheap sh*t :-/
S-Smith 41

Postby Padua » 28 Sep 2012, 18:32

S-Smith wrote:The console(the ps3) is not cheap enough really for SONY to take the lead this Christmas.
Mainly because the casual market want cheap sh*t :-/

Agreed! That is what makes it a perfect missed opportunity :|
Good value for money just isn't enough. Sony would be better off pushing the "Blu-ray Inside" rather than Wonderbook! :lol:

I tried to like MAG with Move but I was just too comfortable with the standard controller.
It is just an expensive Paper Weight at the moment. Guess I should try it with Dust 514...
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Dalaeck » 28 Sep 2012, 18:55

Are they deluding themselves or what? The emperor has no clothes people, the PS3 is on the way out, not up.
Dalaeck 42

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 28 Sep 2012, 19:27

While I agree that Sony really need to extend their casual appeal, at present the next in line for that market is MS (not counting Apple)

Sony have a WAYS to go.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 28 Sep 2012, 20:58

Honestly i think WonderBook is really cool. I mean the harry potter one looks absolutely terrible but the idea has a lot of potential. But so does/did Move, and the vita. Still wonderbook could turn into something for kids.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby fatherofthenoo » 28 Sep 2012, 22:22

I don't have much hope for Wonderbook myself. Sony seem to be the only ones who aren't aware of how lame it actually is. I showed my 7 year old daughter and she wasn't interested in it. But when I showed her Wii U games she went gaga for it. I think people are kind of fed up of Harry Potter too. This Christmas belongs to Nintendo! Yay :D
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby damoxuk » 28 Sep 2012, 23:23

This is near the end of the current gen, console apathy is here. Even Wii-U won't stymy that apathy.. much as lets face it - it's not next gen is it?

High pricing means it won;t sell as well over in Europe but US with decent price it'll do well.

But unless those new PS3's get heafty price cut's Sony ain't gonna see anything much.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 29 Sep 2012, 00:55

I think they are barking up the wrong tree, a strong hardcore end to this gen is what is needed. I imagine the casual gamer has mobile games, cheap Wii stuff and ipads and other such gadgets in mind not a £200-300 console package which appears (if you look hard enough) to have a side show in Wii-esque games which are in truth sadly not quite as good as they should be (generally speaking)

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby billysastard » 29 Sep 2012, 01:21

a £125 super slim might have flown off the shelves but a £185 pound one will not shift many more, add the cost ff a basic move setup (camera, 2 moves and 2 subcontrollers) and its way more expensive than a wii u.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby TheBusterMan » 29 Sep 2012, 01:38

The Wii U will probably sell out for Christmas,and gullable parents will pay £500 for one for their brats,er,sorry children.Remember this situation with the original Wii.People lose all traces of sanity at Christmas. :(
TheBusterMan 47

Postby Just-joe » 29 Sep 2012, 04:33

Doubt it, not those prices and with all those models. You don't get into homes by confusing the consumer.
Just-joe 18

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 29 Sep 2012, 08:07

I know Sony has to talk the talk but come on, but this time they really are talking shite!

You can see the flaws in his statement like craters in the moon.

WII IS CASUAL KING but we could sell some PS3s.
WE HAVE NO AAA TITLE FOR XMAS but people may buy some PS3s.
PS3 IS THE CHEAPEST IT'S EVER BEEN but still the most expensive.
WONDERBOOK WILL BE AMAZING for people who like books, hold on those people are...reading books...s**t!
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Postby Agent75 » 01 Oct 2012, 07:38

billysastard wrote:a £125 super slim might have flown off the shelves but a £185 pound one will not shift many more, add the cost ff a basic move setup (camera, 2 moves and 2 subcontrollers) and its way more expensive than a wii u.

Sony become more laughable as the years go by. The Vita price this year, then they come up with a new PS3 which looks like cheap plastic tat. The fact that it's virtually the same price as the last model just leaves me speechless. In another post, I said a price of under £149.99 would of been much more ideal. The Wii U released next month, not forgetting the Xbox 360, it's not ideal for Sony. I wonder how many PS3 owners own an Xbox 360?
Agent75 48

Next