to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ubisoft UK spending £4 million on Assassin's Creed 3 m

Your comments on our articles.

Sequel to receive 'biggest marketing push ever' from publisher

Based on the strength of the IP and the success of previous entries, Assassin's Creed 3 stands a good chance of being one of the most successful games of 2012. Ubisoft UK isn't planning on coasting on past successes however, and is reportedly spending £4 on marketing the sequel.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ubisoft UK spending £4 million on Assassin's Creed 3 m

Postby Gambini » 28 Sep 2012, 11:55

Ubisoft UK isn't planning on coasting on past successes however, and is reportedly spending £4 on marketing the sequel.

I think you missed something in that sentence....
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Re: Ubisoft UK spending £4 million on Assassin's Creed

Postby ted1138 » 28 Sep 2012, 12:17

Gambini wrote:
Ubisoft UK isn't planning on coasting on past successes however, and is reportedly spending £4 on marketing the sequel.

I think you missed something in that sentence....

Bloody cheap skates... :roll:
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 28 Sep 2012, 12:52

Wanna know why games cost so much to buy.

Because companies spend 4 million on advertising them when the internet and games mags that dont ever shut up talking about them do it for free.

Ubisoft, you are so dumb to spend this much its untrue, anyone who would buy this game already knew about it, advertising is a waste of money for established triple A brands like this.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby damoxuk » 28 Sep 2012, 14:04

Will adverts also have the Vita Liberation game on it also?

Double advertising :)
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby RandyChimp » 28 Sep 2012, 15:33

Okay, I'm at the point with this game where I'm saying to myself "Oh, come on, why can't they just release it now? Surely it's ready!"

I'm assuming by, say, October 21st, I'll be staring wide eyed at various trailers and gameplay footage, just waiting for the end of the month.
"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to shut the f**k up!"
RandyChimp 38

PSN ID: RandyChimp

Postby woodins » 28 Sep 2012, 16:51

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Wanna know why games cost so much to buy.

Because companies spend 4 million on advertising them when the internet and games mags that dont ever shut up talking about them do it for free.

Ubisoft, you are so dumb to spend this much its untrue, anyone who would buy this game already knew about it, advertising is a waste of money for established triple A brands like this.

Couldn't agree more. Although I remember reading quite a depressing article back in 2009 (this was when the industry puffed its chest out when the 5hit really hit the fan with the world economies and confidently claimed the industry was "recession proof") where this industry bigwig that had put together a series of equations and had cited market spend vs. game completion and related sales. He argued that developing a game up to a certain point was a case of diminishing returns (93% is good to go gold he reckoned - ever wonder why we get so many day 1 patches?) and that money spent on marketing would yield better results.

Now, I cant argue as to the veracity of these equations seeing as the most famous stock market systems have been found to be a pile of wank, but nevertheless the industry itself believes in it. Whether its true or not its acted upon. Having said that, 4m for an "almost triple-A" game is pretty rasonable. Maybe they are relying on their own portals to spread the word. Oh, games mags and websites like CVG never talk about games for free lol.
Paracetamol will not bring back a dead hooker. Trust me.
woodins 36

Postby Toasted_PSP » 28 Sep 2012, 17:04

Isn't this what Sony have done this generation and got roundly criticised for?

UBiSoft spend a lot of money on advertisements and people comment that they shouldn't spend that amount of money on advertisements and should let the games image, brand and word of mouth sell the game for them.

Sony let image, brand and word of mouth sell their games and people comment that they should spend more money on advertisements as advertisements sell goods. Just this week we have had a few comments about how Sony are sending their games out to die because of a lack of advertisement.

I think MS have well and truly shown this generation the more you spend on advertisement the more you sell.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby ted1138 » 29 Sep 2012, 11:02

What about all the people who don't buy video game magazines, or visit sites like this, you need to make them aware of the game. Then there are those who are on the fence about buying it or not, they could be swayed by an advertisement or two. And don't forget, there will be other big budget games coming out the same time, and they're going to have their adverts plastered everywhere, Ubisoft have to appear to be on a par with them, or people will think their product is inferior...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61