to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

US cable TV providers to trial on-demand gaming this year -

Your comments on our articles.

Telecoms companies looking to take on console manufacturers at their own game

AT&T, Verizon, and Time Warner will trial on-demand video game streaming services later this year, according to "people with knowledge of the matter".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

US cable TV providers to trial on-demand gaming this year -

Postby rhyfel » 25 Sep 2012, 08:58

after the onlive mess you'd think companies would be more hesitant to jump into videogame streaming, i still can't see the attraction of streaming why would you want to spend your money and you dont actually own any thing and you will only have a virtual games collection as long as said companies keep the servers turned on, i might be old fashioned but give me a real disk any day of the week.
rhyfel 37

Re: US cable TV providers to trial on-demand gaming this yea

Postby ilovenewtech » 25 Sep 2012, 12:18

Hi super awesome fellow forum posters are you all well. Maybe in 10 years streaming games like this may be viable but it's not right now as demonstrated by onlive. A lot of work has to go on, not just into infrastructure but also into the consumer law, in this space at the moment the goal posts appear to be moving.

Go team super awesome fellow forum posters yeah!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 55

Postby Toasted_PSP » 25 Sep 2012, 12:20

rhyfel wrote:after the onlive mess you'd think companies would be more hesitant to jump into videogame streaming, i still can't see the attraction of streaming why would you want to spend your money and you dont actually own any thing and you will only have a virtual games collection as long as said companies keep the servers turned on, i might be old fashioned but give me a real disk any day of the week.

Millions of people spend money on Sky and Cable in this country and don't actually own anything from it. Those that want to own the TV shows other subscribe for just buy box sets.

To me this is exactly what Cloud gaming will be good for. OnLive was flawed as you had to buy the games on top of a subscription.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 25 Sep 2012, 13:25

This is what Streaming games should be used for, a subscription package like TV boxes and not for 'pretending purchases' of games. If onlive went the route of subscription only at a good price it may have had better fate.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby TechnoWolf » 25 Sep 2012, 15:55

Sounds awesome but our internets are not ready yet!
TechnoWolf 61

Postby Toasted_PSP » 25 Sep 2012, 16:27

TechnoWolf wrote:Sounds awesome but our internets are not ready yet!

Since the article is talking about this been provided over cable networks, we are ready now.
Toasted_PSP 64