Dust 514 'out in October' - Tretton

Your comments on our articles.

SCEA boss seemingly lets slip in recent video interview

SCEA president Jack Tretton said in a recent video interview that CCP Games' Dust 514 will be out in October.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dust 514 'out in October' - Tretton

Postby martinawatson » 25 Sep 2012, 01:14

Is it true though , that although "free" you do have to buy certain items and then when you die you have to buy them again, in actuality making it a bit of a rip off.
Please could someone fill me in on the deal with this, thanks
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67

Re: Dust 514 'out in October' - Tretton

Postby RoKuShaKuBoJutSu » 25 Sep 2012, 05:37

martinawatson wrote:Is it true though , that although "free" you do have to buy certain items and then when you die you have to buy them again, in actuality making it a bit of a rip off.

In Dust you do have to buy all your gear, your armor, weapons, grenades, vehicles and all the modules you use to upgrade. When you die, you lose one set of everything you had on you. However, you buy these things with the in game currency ISK, which you earn after matches.

It seemed like a wierd concept to me at first and I didn't like it but now I think it#s awesome and offers an aspect to gameplay that isn't found in any other FPS.
RoKuShaKuBoJutSu 38

Postby KippDynamite » 25 Sep 2012, 05:52

martinawatson wrote:Is it true though , that although "free" you do have to buy certain items and then when you die you have to buy them again, in actuality making it a bit of a rip off.

As I understand it, yes, but you buy things with in-game currency called ISK. You earn this via playing the game, and automatically over time. In the beta, I made something like 20 ISK per minute - and that accumulates even while you are offline. I could be wrong, but I think you start out with basic firearms even without paying for them. You use money to upgrade your character and equipment, and to buy better-than-average weapons or things like tanks. In short, you could easily play this game with full features without paying anything, and I don't think you'd feel short-changed, either.
KippDynamite 49

PSN ID: KippDynamite

Postby OptimusFrag » 25 Sep 2012, 08:08

October? Don't think so.

I'm in the beta and the build we have is very very good but there's still too many bugs at the moment for this to even considered ready. Unless he's talking about the voucher that comes with the US version of the new super slim PS3 in October, allowing you access to the beta.

That's what he's talking about I'm betting.

Oh and word around the campfire is that Activision and EA are cr@pping themselves about this game. Dust is a AAA quality title and its going to be free to play. If its successful (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, it's that good) then it blows their finance model out of the water as far as the COD and BF franchises go.

Seriously, when PS3 players see how good a shooter it is, coupled with the depth of customisation and the intergration with EVE and its completely free to play should you wish, then COD in particular is going to look a complete rip off in comparision. The gravy train is about to stop for Activision and COD. I'd expect it and BF to drop the current finance model and become freemium like Dust within 18 months. Or at the least all the DLC become free to keep players with the franchises.
OptimusFrag 47

Postby EvilWaterman » 25 Sep 2012, 09:25

OptimusFrag wrote:October? Don't think so.

I'm in the beta and the build we have is very very good but there's still too many bugs at the moment for this to even considered ready. Unless he's talking about the voucher that comes with the US version of the new super slim PS3 in October, allowing you access to the beta.

That's what he's talking about I'm betting.

Oh and word around the campfire is that Activision and EA are cr@pping themselves about this game. Dust is a AAA quality title and its going to be free to play. If its successful (and there's no reason it shouldn't be, it's that good) then it blows their finance model out of the water as far as the COD and BF franchises go.

Seriously, when PS3 players see how good a shooter it is, coupled with the depth of customisation and the intergration with EVE and its completely free to play should you wish, then COD in particular is going to look a complete rip off in comparision. The gravy train is about to stop for Activision and COD. I'd expect it and BF to drop the current finance model and become freemium like Dust within 18 months. Or at the least all the DLC become free to keep players with the franchises.

Gameplay Wise, BF and even CoD are far superior to this game. I've also been playing the beta and although I love the idea of it, i just can't get on with it. The sights on the rifles are awful, and you cannot change them(they all have the same horrible sight) It take millions of bullets to kill a man and I still can't get on with the idea of free to play. In fact, if you have loadsa money, you can buy better guns and suit add ons.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 55

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby martinawatson » 25 Sep 2012, 10:11

RoKuShaKuBoJutSu and Kipp dynomite, thanks for info, will give it a go then, cheers
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 67

Postby Laughlyn » 25 Sep 2012, 11:47

As the last couple of fellas have said. Yeah you have to several items as you will lose them when you die and respawn (altho it seems with salvage you may be able to recover parts of your setup as well as from everyone elses corses)
The stanadard items are bought with InterStellaKredits (ISK) The amount of isk received at teh end of a battle is determined by the corp/alliance who set the job up. could be 100k could be a million. There are special items available on the market whichg canbe bought with the premium currency AURUM these are generally just color varients, a blkack and gold drop suit, pure white drop suit ect or a specific brand of weapon with the company's colours. Sometimes teh premium item may alow you to use a hiugher grade at a lower skill level. So with the asault rifle you can use the advanced rifle (lv4) at Lv3 but each rifle may cost you 2pence. hat you have to also think is you may use it at a lower level but you'll also lose a level of the skill bonus so for assault rifles every level you go up, it steadies the kickback of the rifle by 5% meaning at level 3 you'll be slightly less accurate than the guy who's trained to level 4, sometimes it effects damage ect. Also, if your thinking of getting it. i would highly recommend downloadingthe free client and creating a character as you gain passive skillpoints (every 5 secs you get a point even while not playing) so if you think you may want it in 6months time you will have built up a nice amount of SPs to apply to your char when you do decide

Also, items bouht with the premium currency CAN be sold on the ISK market and will normally sell for a lot of isk (roughly 100-250isk a gun) the idea of it is if you have a lot of time to play but not much income eg your on't dole, you can buy the fancy stuff with the millions of isk you get, whereas if you have a lot of cash n not much time (your workingyour ass off to support aid guy on dole) you can still buy items to keep you competetive.

After 9yrs on EVE CCP do, do a good job of trying to make sure things and people dont get too overpowered, on the beta many of the good fps guys use the bog standard militia items and still own ya cos they have the experience.

also as for the story. October would be about right. there nees to be the winter expansion on EVE in order for the two games to work with each other and its usually october/november my money would go on 16th or 23rd october (tuesday)
Laughlyn 55

Postby Laughlyn » 25 Sep 2012, 11:53

@Evilwaterman

i have to agree, the sights are awfull lol but the game can be changed. its all server side just liek ineve so if something is made a fuss of ccp WILL change something. when it releases it will be basic just as EVE was but give it time and it will be a different game as more and more stuff is continually introduced (for free) the difference between Castor 2 and Inferno on eve is so different. 3-4 times the amount of ship choices and complete redesigned war systems.

liek i said in old post. its worth setting up a char and coming back a year later because it'll be a different game and from what i've heard. the next beta release has changed even more (this one is still the e3 build)
Laughlyn 55

Postby EvilWaterman » 25 Sep 2012, 13:42

Laughlyn wrote:@Evilwaterman

i have to agree, the sights are awfull lol but the game can be changed. its all server side just liek ineve so if something is made a fuss of ccp WILL change something. when it releases it will be basic just as EVE was but give it time and it will be a different game as more and more stuff is continually introduced (for free) the difference between Castor 2 and Inferno on eve is so different. 3-4 times the amount of ship choices and complete redesigned war systems.

liek i said in old post. its worth setting up a char and coming back a year later because it'll be a different game and from what i've heard. the next beta release has changed even more (this one is still the e3 build)

Ill have to get back on it and give it another go.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 55

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby Padua » 25 Sep 2012, 16:03

I am enjoying the Dust Beta a lot. It reminds me of MAG in space.
As your experience/skill level grows the game does get a lot more fun.

I don't claim to understand much of it all - quite frankly for the complexity of the game - a lot of it is as clear as mud. :x
You certainly need a lot of patience. If EA and Activision are to be truly afraid, CCP need to work on the instructions/tutorial a lot more :lol:

I invested in the £19.95 Mercenary pack because I wanted to get into the Beta. You get 4000 Aurum (which seems to last bloody ages when your just starting out).

My advice is to don't buy the pack until you get comfortable with the game.
One of the cool things about Dust is you can get credits and skill points "passively" - they just grow per second.
I quit playing for a few weeks came back and I was rolling in it :lol:
I also got a 30day Active booster that gives me more skill points in game after battles - this game in the mercenary pack.
CCP say it will take 6 years to max out all the current skills so choose them wisely!

At the end of each game you get ISK credits and skill points - depending on how much you contribute.
There is salvage too. Can someone tell me if you get everything in the salvage box or just the item you click on? o_O

You are only going to be looking at paying money if you buy something that uses Aurum (prices are orange in the store)

I think MAG was a lot better than Dust 514 currently is, playability wise. Hopefully that will change.
Last night I had a whale of a time. Jumped into someone elses tank and got a lot of kills on a turret.
Looking forward to piloting a Drop Ship one day!
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby only_777 » 25 Sep 2012, 16:40

They can keep it, I played the Closed Beta and thought it was poo. Even stuck it on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl2DI-EfftM
The famous Dodgy Kebaab Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/dodgykebaab
only_777 62

Postby Padua » 25 Sep 2012, 18:40

only_777 wrote:They can keep it, I played the Closed Beta and thought it was poo. Even stuck it on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl2DI-EfftM

I watched some of that LOL. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to bring a pistol to a heavy tank fight? :-D

I don't think I have ever killed anything with that big gun - not even myself :lol:
Once I fired it too close to a wall and you don't get fried - instead it left behind a few pathetic looking darts :roll:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306