to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: Next-gen consoles need to embrace modding

Your comments on our articles.

Rob Taylor thinks the future lies in gamers' hands

Now, for a while it looked like PC gaming was all going the way of the dodo, but - having battled piracy to an uneasy stalemate - it's well and truly back in the big time. Lazarus mod your heart out. In part, that's ostensibly because everybody who considers themselves a remotely hardcore gamer is sick to the hind teeth with the near-obsolete tech currently masquerading as cutting edge console gaming, and many have treated themselves to a beige box in lieu of any shiny new consoles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: Next-gen consoles need to embrace modding

Postby Welsh Jester » 22 Sep 2012, 20:11

I can't see it happening, however i'm grateful for Black Mesa which is the best mod ( if you can call it that ) i have ever played, modding does add more to games but i wouldn't say it's always needed.

For the piracy part, it's plain stupid considering a lot of good co-op and multiplayer games are around now.. Largely thanks to Valve with L4D series, why pirate a game to stop yourself playing online?. Complete waste of time.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Re: Opinion: Next-gen consoles need to embrace modding

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 22 Sep 2012, 22:15

Yep, open source modding needs to happen but I cant see it, not yet anyway. Mods are essentially free 'DLC', why let DLC go for free when companies can charge for it. No-one will pay £10 for 10 extra characters when they can download a thousand user created ones for nothing more than the time to find them. I miss user mods, its what stops console game from having freshness and appeal that lasts months/years, instead of days/weeks.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby corkscru74 » 22 Sep 2012, 22:56

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Yep, open source modding needs to happen but I cant see it, not yet anyway. Mods are essentially free 'DLC', why let DLC go for free when companies can charge for it. No-one will pay £10 for 10 extra characters when they can download a thousand user created ones for nothing more than the time to find them. I miss user mods, its what stops console game from having freshness and appeal that lasts months/years, instead of days/weeks.

Couldn't have put it better myself, Daedalus. If publishers are so concerned about trade-ins "bankrupting the industry" then give us a reason to hold onto our games after completing them.

The original Doom was where the modding community started proper (and, it could be argued, where Free-To-Play was born - it being shareware) and that was back in 1993. That was SNES territory and consoles still haven't cottoned on! Like Daedalus says, the problem probably lies with the fact publishers haven't worked out how to monetise Mods. Surely there must be someone in the industry that has the vision to realise, with the recent interest in mobile games, that people will spend a fortune on things that only cost 50p - allow modders to sell their mods for a small amount through a marketplace and just take a nice cut of it!
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby lennohead » 23 Sep 2012, 00:54

Mods border on antisocial. Games have a hard enough time being noticed as it is with so many on the market. Diluting a game's personality between alternate, possibly poorly-created unprofessional versions isn't a good idea. When you start talking to someone who's played a specific console game you have, they've had the exact same software in their hands. That's why consoles have and will continue to endure, The experience is shared.
lennohead 25

Postby HelloLadies » 23 Sep 2012, 09:06

I usually mod a game after i've played through it stock standard. How is my experience any different? I'd argue im getting more bang for buck.
HelloLadies 50

Postby Mark Hayhurst » 23 Sep 2012, 09:19

Yeah - modding doesn't change the experience of the original game it just helps to breathe new life into it once its finished and in some cases (GT4) make the game the game it should have been rather than the lazy, crappy port it was.
Mark Hayhurst 43

Postby bamozzy » 23 Sep 2012, 10:10

I have mixed feelings about Mods - whilst some can bring something to the original and even improve on it in some cases, there is also a lot of rubbish and may also have security issues. I would like to see the best of the best embraced by the developers and maybe released for console owners as free DLC. I think it would benefit the developers quite a lot if they were to do so as it would generate more interest in their game and look like they are giving something to and acknowledging their community instead of making them appear to be 'money grabbing' all the time.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 65

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby IplayVideogames » 23 Sep 2012, 12:09

I think the closest the PS3 has come to modding is Little Big Planet.
I wish CVG would stop giving Peter Molyneux publicity
IplayVideogames 32

Postby JD_Method » 23 Sep 2012, 12:44

IplayVideogames wrote:I think the closest the PS3 has come to modding is Little Big Planet.

Or Unreal Tournament 3, which did actually allow mods. I can't think of any other console game that does that.
JD_Method 58

Postby TheRandyNinja » 23 Sep 2012, 15:45

indeed love user created content. :D and trials evolution shows how to the dlc and community maps work together
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby divinebeetle » 23 Sep 2012, 21:56

Would love to see modding on consoles, but can't see it happening yet.

Mod's saved Oblivion imo and I've just installed KOtor 2 restored content mod.

A lot has been fixed through mods or made older games playable
divinebeetle 37

Postby hi0marc » 24 Sep 2012, 11:44

Won't happen, mainly because you cannot mod with a console controller, it just isnt practical. And if you think you'll be able to swap it from PS3/Xbox to PC- forget about it.

Modding has a place but in console gaming it embodies itself in LittleBigPlanet-like user creation that is implemented by the developer specifically to create levels etc. that modding allows on the PC
hi0marc 41

Postby nb_nmare2 » 24 Sep 2012, 12:29

JD_Method wrote:
IplayVideogames wrote:I think the closest the PS3 has come to modding is Little Big Planet.

Or Unreal Tournament 3, which did actually allow mods. I can't think of any other console game that does that.

TimeSplitters.

hi0marc wrote:Won't happen, mainly because you cannot mod with a console controller, it just isnt practical.

So use a keyboard and mouse, then. Both the 360 and PS3 support them.

And if you think you'll be able to swap it from PS3/Xbox to PC- forget about it.

Err, how about from PC to PS3/360? UT 3 allows precisely this.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby ted1138 » 24 Sep 2012, 12:56

I'm sure Sony and Microsoft would be happy to let people release free mods on their next consoles, as long as they don't have to rely on software sales to recoup the costs of making those consoles, and they can find enough people willing to pay £700.00+ for a PS4 or Xbox720...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby JD_Method » 24 Sep 2012, 14:48

nb_nmare2 wrote:TimeSplitters.

That's debatable. I don't know if I'd class in-game created maps as proper mods.
JD_Method 58

Next