Retrospective: Doom 3

Your comments on our articles.

Meet the Golden Joystick's BFG - Big Freakin' Game...

Top tip - if you're a nameless space marine, avoid all job offers on Mars. Judging from Doom 3, it's a bad career move. Not convinced? When a mumbling psychopath greets you, a guard thrusts a gun into your hand, and just when you really NEED that coffee, what now? A portal to Hell consumes your world... typical. Doom 3: the definition of a terrible first day.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retrospective: Doom 3

Postby DoomGuy84 » 22 Sep 2012, 15:55

One of my favourite games ever and probably the scariest aswell. A lot of haters of doom 3 but i think to get the proper experience you need to be playing alone in a dark room with the sound turned up. The only criticism i have of it is it can get a bit repetitve towards the end before the hell levels.
DoomGuy84 31

Re: Retrospective: Doom 3

Postby runadumb » 22 Sep 2012, 17:08

I'm one of the haters. I played the game in the dark with surround sound. It was surprisingly frightening at first and the graphics blew my puny mind, however, it was repetitive as all hell. It became so predictable half way through I would already have my shotgun pointed at the enemies head as they sneakily spawned in "behind" me for the millionth time.

At least the hell levels added some much needed variety but I nearly just gave up at various times I was so bored of it.

I've been reading The masters of Doom. Carmack is such an interesting character
runadumb 62

Postby Lsnake » 22 Sep 2012, 19:18

I still remember playing the leaked Alpha many, many years ago (don't tell id, I'm not proud of it), but hot damn back then it was the scariest FPS experience I've ever had. It was insanely awesome, even though it was short, buggy and completely unrelated to the final product.

Even though the finished game didn't recapture that magic, I still think Doom 3 is one of the least appreciated FPS games the last 10 years. It had an impossible task, to live up to the very icon of FPS games, and while it didn't it still was a good game. I'm gonna be celebrating the BFG edition with a toast to id.
Lsnake 46

Postby BeansOnToast » 22 Sep 2012, 19:36

This game was released roughly around the same time as Half Life 2 and a lot of gamers fell into one of two camps; generally you were either a fan of Doom 3, or of Half Life 2. I personally preferred Doom 3 over Half Life 2, the dark Martian setting is more my kind of thing rather than an Eastern European cityscape.

We take realistic real-time shadows and lighting in games for granted now, but in 2003 they were uncommon; most games were still using blob shadows due to the limitations of the hardware at the time. Doom 3 was one of those games that comes along and makes EVERYONE want a PC hardware upgrade. Games forums seemed to be full of people wanting to know the minimum required specs to run the game at a decent framerate.

The human characters in Doom 3 may look a bit pointy and rubbery these days; the shadows perhaps a bit too black and sharp, but this game pushed the limits of the majority of PC's back then and I think it still looks pretty good almost ten years later.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby Welsh Jester » 22 Sep 2012, 19:37

I remember playing this on my new 6800 ultra card in late 04, i admit i jumped a lot with this game, however it was too closed in and linear. Imo HL2 was beter, open world, physics puzzles, much better multiplayer. Doom 3 had very little environment interaction in comparison.

I'd like it if id went back to the Doom 1-2 roots for Doom 4, rely less on scares and be more open like Half Life, it's like i find the first Quake scarier than the sequels which is probably down to the more organic feel and jumpy animation and old graphics.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby bamozzy » 23 Sep 2012, 10:02

Personally I really enjoyed Doom 3 on the original Xbox - I bought the steelbook version - and I expect to get the BFG edition on the Xbox 360 at some point. I know it was a bit linear and maybe a bit repetitive towards the end but certainly no more than many other games of that era and was far less repetitive in my opinion than the original Doom 1 and 2. Graphically I was impressed by its look and environments for the time and I do love a good Horror game - something that this did quite well. There may have been better shooters, Horror/scares or more open environments but I can't think of a better game that combined all the elements that Doom 3 had into one game.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 67

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby Stryker89 » 23 Sep 2012, 11:54

I loved this game so much... If the ability to use the flashlight and guns at the same time is optional, I'll be picking up the BFG Edition day one.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby TehSlenderMan » 24 Sep 2012, 05:38

Great article. Loved the read, most of what you said I agree with 100% Doom 3 is just a wonderful game. As another said, greatly underrated for some unknown reason. It is most certainly one of my favorite games (Expansion was pretty awesome too, even though it was 3 hours long, but it was worth it regardless) I look forward to the BFG edition for the "Lost" missions. Not to caring about the graphics though since it looks the same for us PC users (At least most of what i've seen) but still, I could care less. Doom 1 + 2 are worth it to play remastered as well. All in all, will definitely be buying the BFG edition.
Have a Steam, Origin(Sadly) and Battle.net Account.
Steam: Darksiders 2, All CoDs, Saints Row 3, CSS, DoD:s, Killing Floor, DX:HR, CS:GO, many more.
Origin: Battlefield 3, Syndicate, and Mass Effect 3.
Battle.net: Diablo 2 LoD, StarCraft 2, and Diablo 3.
TehSlenderMan 31

Xbox Live: TehSlenderrMan
Steam: Teh Slender Man
Battle.net: SlenderMan#1735

Postby superfruit » 24 Sep 2012, 09:56

A game I upgraded my PC to play. All the best ones seem to require you get a new something or other.

As for the game....I couldn't resist the urge and did the flashlight mod. It just seemed stupid that you'd not have a flashlight on your weapons.

On a side note I wish that Far Cry 3 thing would FCK OFF. Obviously Ubisoft have bought advertising space but it's beyond annoying.
superfruit 49

Postby DoomGuy84 » 24 Sep 2012, 10:56

superfruit wrote:A game I upgraded my PC to play. All the best ones seem to require you get a new something or other.

As for the game....I couldn't resist the urge and did the flashlight mod. It just seemed stupid that you'd not have a flashlight on your weapons.

On a side note I wish that Far Cry 3 thing would FCK OFF. Obviously Ubisoft have bought advertising space but it's beyond annoying.

I actually think it was better having to choose between your flashlight and gun. It helped build the tension when going into a dark room with just your torch. I suppose they should have invented duck tape by the time we go to Mars though lol.
DoomGuy84 31