to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Black Ops 2: Think you know Call of Duty multiplayer? Think

Your comments on our articles.

New perks, new skills, new modes, new classes... and the death of killstreaks

"Multiplayer is the lifeblood of the franchise," says Treyarch's studio head, Mark Lamia. "Call of Duty multiplayer is played 365 days a year, twenty-four seven, all over the world. But we can do better."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Black Ops 2: Think you know Call of Duty multiplayer? Think

Postby bamozzy » 22 Sep 2012, 15:41

I must say I am really excited by this game. I do like the CoD series but also wouldn't say that they were game of the year contenders. What they do and offer they generally do well. It is also a series that has needed a bit of an update in a few areas however Treyarch appear to have looked at every aspect and tried to update it. The campaign sounds really interesting and for the first time, offering a non-linear and branching story-line, Zombies has been expanded on and seems to be offering a whole game in itself - Campaign and multi-player with multiple game modes, and now we here that the Multi-player has been looked at and updated . The changes to me sound very good and certainly has been long overdue. Treyarch have always been the most innovative and experimental with the CoD series so it seems fitting that they are the ones given the opportunity to do this update. Obviously it is too early to say whether or not they have been successful in what they are attempting to do and I won't know until I actually get to play Black Ops 2 either but I must say I am really looking forward to finding out!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Re: Black Ops 2: Think you know Call of Duty multiplayer? Th

Postby FixBeatGames » 22 Sep 2012, 15:58

not really played COD properly since COD 4, got abit bored of shooters in general, and thought they were taking the mickey abit with the total lack on innovation in the series. modern warfare 3 feels ridiculously dated compared to any other shooter i can think of over the last 2 years. i understand the concept of 'if it is not broken, dont try and fix it', but i've always felt the teams behind COD have taken the mickey out of this concept. through no real fault of their own though, is a year and a half REALLY enough time to produce "AAA" titles in high definition?

being a sci-fi nut though, this one really has me interested. especially the non-linear single player and campaign for zombies. multi-team matches might even get me playing multiplayer, unless the same kids shouting insults at each other ruin that.

meh, i buy it every year anyway for my other half and my son, but i might even play this years one myself. :D
FixBeatGames 41

PC or Console?

Postby Mega » 22 Sep 2012, 16:12

This might peek my intrests enough to pick up since the last COD I played was 4,only problem is that I am in evolving into a PC player more than a console which I use mainly to pick up random console only games. I do like the shooter genre, I play some Tribes: Ascend a free to play shooter when I need the fix when I need some downtime from Guild Wars 2 or any MMO for that matter. So the question is how is the PC version a leg up on the console one?
Mega 2

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 22 Sep 2012, 17:08

This does look promising, and at least there are making an effort and re-working/innovating some things. But one problem they must get rid of is 'quick-scoping'. It is the only thing that makes me turn COD off everytime. If you have to do that for kills, then you really suck at the game. Quick-scoping is so un-realistic and imo it ruins the game. They did it in BLOPS (sort of), but because all the kiddies (vast majority of the COD crowd) cried that it wasn't in it, they have went ahead and put it in BLOPS 2.

I hate it, but what can you do. If i could choose between getting rid of campers (long time problem) or removing quick-scoping, i would choose quick-scoping everytime without hesitation. It really does ruin COD for me, and im sure im not the only one that thinks that
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 22 Sep 2012, 18:35

It sounds like a tall order, but I really hope they can change things
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 22 Sep 2012, 20:37

I really can't wait for this game, I've a feeling this is going to be the best one yet. The only potential issue for me is the setting, I don't get on with many sci-fi games so we'll see. Treyarch really have surpassed IW's capabilities and seem to really care about the work they're doing.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby fatherofthenoo » 22 Sep 2012, 22:34

I have never purchased or played a single COD but I must say I am quite interested in Black Ops 2. It slightly contradicts my views regarding war games but there is just something that draws me to this version. Very strange.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby dhaliparton » 22 Sep 2012, 22:38

the game would be cool if they could use their programming powers to stop hacking and cheating.
dhaliparton 1
New user

Postby bamozzy » 23 Sep 2012, 08:55

I must admit I hate being quick/no scoped by someone who runs around with a sniper rifle like it is a shotgun too - however this isn't restricted to just CoD. This has happened to me in ALL online shooters I have played. I would much prefer it if Snipers played the game the way snipers would be like in real life. Black Ops 2 has tried to make Snipeing more realistic and less easy to Quick/no scope but you know that people will still try. Due to the damage they do and body multipliers you know that if you get hit by a sniper bullet you are going to die at any range in one shot. Game designers probably can't stop these people from using the weaponry like this despite all the things they do otherwise proper snipers would not be able to use the weaponry effectively from distance. It is not the designers fault but the mentality of some people who play these games and as I said CoD is not the only one. I have seen people running around with sniper rifles on BF3 for example quick and no scoping!

Hackers and Cheaters also have ruined a lot of the early CoD games for me and I can't play CoD4, W@W and even MW2 nowadays. However I don't notice these problems with Black Ops or MW3 and it seems that these issues have been better dealt with. Treyarch are keen to keep their games fair and deal with Hackers and Cheaters and so I believe that this problem is not as much of an issue. With all the Stats and games kept on file - they can immediately check (If we report people) and deal with them appropriately. I recently went on MW2 and notice so many obviously using Modded controllers but have not seen this in Black Ops or MW3. People often say that CoD4 is the best in the series however I disagree as it is not playable anymore. I must say I prefer MW3 as it appears that IW have learnt from mistakes made in CoD4 and MW2. I also think that Treyarch have greatly improved over their time working on the series and think that Black Ops 2 will be the best Call of Duty game ever.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 66

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby HelloLadies » 23 Sep 2012, 10:07

Black Ops II isn't just the next CoD game

That remains to be seen buddy boy.

As for no scopers they're a joke in my eyes. They may get their 1 or 2 kills but by the end of the game they have paid dearly. The suppressor is king in so many FPS's. If developers are serious about sniper shotgunesque antics they should just remove them from the game altogether. Most of these games are close quarters anyway so theres no need to have them there.
HelloLadies 50