to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wipeout online play 'will be supported while series' future

Your comments on our articles.

New message posted on the official Wipeout 2048 Facebook page

An administrator with access to the official Wipeout 2048 Facebook account has suggested that the futuristic racing series will live on despite the recent closure of Studio Liverpool.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wipeout online play 'will be supported while series' future

Postby martinawatson » 18 Sep 2012, 12:13

"WipEout's passion will live on - Together we are stronger and together we will keep WipEout alive." Too bloody right
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Re: Wipeout online play 'will be supported while series' fut

Postby StonecoldMC » 18 Sep 2012, 12:24

Who owns the IP, Sony or Liverpool?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby martinawatson » 18 Sep 2012, 12:36

StonecoldMC wrote:Who owns the IP, Sony or Liverpool?

Sony mate, developed after they acquired them. I feel quite a bit of the style is to do with the designers republic though, who were a collective of designers who went on to work with the record label "Warp" (who are literally at the forfront of electronica with my hero Aphex twin amongst others).
When Sony do move forward with Wipeout , i think hooking up with key people from the designers republic would be a very shrewd move to get that initial flavour back in.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby Ali_ » 18 Sep 2012, 13:48

Damn straight they should keep it alive. 2048 is one of the Vita's best games. And I still play HD online occasionally when I want to get hammered by an OCD sufferer.
Ali_ 56

Postby Agent75 » 18 Sep 2012, 13:52

Sony making cuts is probably justified, it wasn't like they made a killing on the PS3 and the Vita is struggling. Can't say I was a fan of The Getaway, but that got cancelled for the PS3 and my money is on that it'll turn up on the PS4. A new Wipeout will probably be out on the PS4, but I can't see Wipeout 2048 coming out on the PS3, but you never know. Out of Sony's franchises, there's not many out there currently on the go, so maybe recent cuts is to make way for new stuff mixed in with some stuff that they're going to go back to, as some games haven't had a sequel for years. They gave up the F1 licence, the cut list goes on. Still praying for a new Porche Challenge...
Agent75 48

Postby ted1138 » 18 Sep 2012, 15:02

Wipeout was a fantastic brand, it's a shame it's been left out to rot by Sony...
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby LordVonPS3 » 18 Sep 2012, 18:54

martinawatson wrote:When Sony do move forward with Wipeout , i think hooking up with key people from the designers republic would be a very shrewd move to get that initial flavour back in.

+1. I love my DR.

I would love a reboot, revisiting the future-industrial track layouts and DR advertising as per PSX WipEout. Limited, simple weapons that don't need to be flashy. Tight controls, no need for barrel rolls. Standard Venom -> Rapier -> Phantom skill level and challenge progression over all that hex / grid layout grind. The basic stuff worked the best, though 2097 was often as good and in some ways better. Too bad that fire took down the building, the game series was just never quite the same after (though WOHD is excellent & Zone mode is at the pinnacle of everything WipEout).

It would be great if Sony could outsource development of a new game & ask the original designers / programmers / artists to collaborate & pull something together. Music from Cold Storage has been missed as well and a decent score would be welcomed. The original's soundtrack is still brilliant - Leftfield's "Afro Ride", CS's "Messij", "Doh T", "Cardinal Dancer" and "Transvaal" were all brilliant! Perhaps a new WipEout could be made at less expense through this route. The PS4 would certainly miss out if it did not have WipEout.

I bet the community could do a damn good job of hashing a WipEout / F-Zero clone on the PC. After all, WipEout was effectively Sony's answer to Nintendo's F-Zero...
LordVonPS3 57