to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Pok�mon would lose its way if it went 3D - producer

Your comments on our articles.

Why hasn't the main Pokmon series gone 3D? Producer Junichi Masuda explains

Pokmon fans have been crying out for a full 3D adventure since the break-out success of the Game Boy originals over a decade ago, yet the main Pokmon adventure series remains top-down 2D.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Pok�mon would lose its way if it went 3D - producer

Postby Fr33Kye » 17 Sep 2012, 22:51

....You don't have to design the same game in 3d...You could take it as an opportunity to reinvent some things! f**k it whatever i'm gonna go play folklore.
Fr33Kye 70

Re: Pok�mon would lose its way if it went 3D - producer

Postby Cogglesz » 17 Sep 2012, 23:11

I recon they're just saying this because B/W2 are on only the DS, i'm sure when the 3DS version comes around it'l probably be 3D but still top down perspective, or most likely just much higher res pixels which is not a bad thing in my opinion, they started getting 3D objects in the games like the windmills and buildings i could imagine it being like this with good 3D effects, i agree though there should be some re-inventing on the go, they basically said they were re-inventing the game back on the first black and white but to be honest it was still the same old story, i still enjoyed it but it wasn't like the way it was hyped up to be, they've got to innovate and evolve themselfs with the hardware they're working with, i recon they're afraid of 3D graphics, in my opinion nothing pokemon and 3D has been good since N64, the gamecube games were really meh in my opinion and the wii game, well that pretty much doesn't exist.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby EighteenSky » 17 Sep 2012, 23:58

I love the sprites, have high res ones such as those in Disgaea 4*. Black & White changed up a hell of a lot of things and were easily the best games in the mainline series, I hope they can do the same with the next iteration so they can take their time.

* Think it was Disgaea 4, I may be mistaken.
EighteenSky 70

Postby stealth » 18 Sep 2012, 00:11

Actually 90 percent of us demand sprites, and we want that style kept
stealth 47

Postby Lady Gagagged » 18 Sep 2012, 00:15

stealth wrote:Actually 90 percent of us demand sprites, and we want that style kept

You and seven dwarves would only be 80% petal.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby karkify » 18 Sep 2012, 00:51

As I mentioned in another Pokémon article, I would love a full 3D main game. It was long overdue, but B/W finally had constantly moving sprites, so why not push it a little further have full 3D animation and battle environments?
I think after all these years, I'm finally starting to get bored of the main Pokémon series due to very little actually changing between them. I know many, many people will disagree with me on that, but to me that's how it is, and would love to see a few risks here and there.
Mario, Zelda, Metroid et al have all made successful jumps into different genres (Metroid as FPS? Who'd have thought that'd be a good idea) and styles, why not Pokémon?
karkify 50

Postby mrlister » 18 Sep 2012, 02:29

Rubbish. The only thing XD was missing was tall grass and one-on-one battles. Everything else felt perfectly Pokemon. He's clinging to some aesthetic that only he is really fond of. They need to make a full 3D Pokemon RPG and see how it sells, I predict it would sell like £8 tenners.
mrlister 45

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby RoOhDiNi » 18 Sep 2012, 06:34

Oh, come on!
You can have stylised Artdesign in 3D. Nintendo-devs are no strangers to this. Mario did it, Link did it... time for Pokémon to embrace the third dimension and move forward - literally.
Sprites are totally overrated. To be honest, I got into Pokémon through the Card Game anyway, and stopped playing the Videogame right after Red, because the series didn't progress.
In fact I've been waiting for them to go Polygons since after playing the first game, the same way I'm wayting for them to go MMO now.
They better grow some balls... or get rid of that leaddesigner who seems to have a serious case of motionsickness.
RoOhDiNi 47

Postby Balladeer » 18 Sep 2012, 08:06

The Pokémon team have some very strange ideas about their series. They don't make the tutorials skippable because apparently it would put off new fans (uh, the point with skippable things is that they're still there), and they don't want to change the graphics to 3D because they'd have to... er... change the graphics to 3D, as far as I understand.

Actually not strangeness, just laziness. Par for the course then. Carry on.

mrlister wrote:Rubbish. The only thing XD was missing was tall grass and one-on-one battles. Everything else felt perfectly Pokemon. He's clinging to some aesthetic that only he is really fond of. They need to make a full 3D Pokemon RPG and see how it sells, I predict it would sell like £8 tenners.

For me, XD remains the best game in the series. It didn't need the tall grass either - there's no more irritating than the first journey to the first town, when you don't have Repels and have to deal with that stupid battle screen every ten seconds. Oh wait, tutorials. Basically, XD got rid of all the annoying things about the game.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Malmo » 18 Sep 2012, 11:37

So they can't keep a comical look in 3D? have they seen the dragon quest games!? I suppose this is a developer that still keeps the pokemon cries in gameboy-quality audio... shouldn't really expect too much.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby PMIKE5 » 18 Sep 2012, 23:29

Gamefreak, you don't want to make 3D games, fine. Just please make it so I can walk diagonally!
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46

Postby liveswired » 23 Sep 2012, 00:04

Shame - while the 2D games are sublime he is hiding behind excuses - he simply doesn't have the team with the appropriate skills and I assume there is fear holding the series back. I have always imagined a 3D Pokemon game with the graphics based on the Manga series. :(
^_* ^_^
liveswired 50

PSN ID: liveswired
Wii Code: 3DS 4081-5530-7050
Steam: liveswired