to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Black Mesa released ahead of Steam Greenlight launch

Your comments on our articles.

Source-powered Half-Life remake available now

Black Mesa - the Half-Life 2 mod made to recreate the original Half-Life in Source - has been released ahead of its Steam launch.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Black Mesa released ahead of Steam Greenlight launch

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 15 Sep 2012, 21:49

Get it. Stop reading this and get it. It's a no brainer. And all you need is a Source powered game. Doesn't matter which one.

Loving it so far, I cannot remember the last time I grinned so much playing a game. I am pretty much speechless. It's like Christmas come early. Thank you, Black Mesa devs. If you ever need a kidney, give me a shout. I have one waiting, I don't even need it.

Get it.
Bring back Super Skidmarks. Cow racing FTW.
Jimmy Luxury 46

Re: Black Mesa released ahead of Steam Greenlight launch

Postby cHarink » 15 Sep 2012, 22:06

Jimmy Luxury wrote:Get it. Stop reading this and get it. It's a no brainer. And all you need is a Source powered game. Doesn't matter which one.

Loving it so far, I cannot remember the last time I grinned so much playing a game. I am pretty much speechless. It's like Christmas come early. Thank you, Black Mesa devs. If you ever need a kidney, give me a shout. I have one waiting, I don't even need it.

Get it.

I thought you had to have half life. This is a pleasant surprise. Thanks for pointing this out.
cHarink 46

Xbox Live: Darth vaulti
Steam: Son of a Glitch

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 15 Sep 2012, 22:40

cHarink wrote:I thought you had to have half life. This is a pleasant surprise. Thanks for pointing this out.

Actually, I got it wrong. Apparently you don't need to have purchased a game at all. You just need to have the Source SDK 2007 installed. Incredible. Check the link:

http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/System_Requirements
Jimmy Luxury 46

Postby Willypiggy » 15 Sep 2012, 22:43

All you need is Source SDK 2007 which is free to anyone with a steam account. There's even a non steam version floating around the regular pirate sites.
Willypiggy 47

Postby Lady Gagagged » 15 Sep 2012, 22:50

I couldn't give a monkeys Uncle about this game, there I said I don't give a c**ts arse about another game you like. Would some mother f**ker like to tell me why my opinion is invalid because I've played the g...series to death and don't get the fascination? PC games suck.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby Willypiggy » 15 Sep 2012, 22:55

Lady Gagagged wrote:I couldn't give a monkeys Uncle about this game, there I said I don't give a c**ts arse about another game you like. Would some mother f**ker like to tell me why my opinion is invalid because I've played the g...series to death and don't get the fascination? PC games suck.

Yes... let the hate flow through there. There's no need to be upset. If you don't like it then you don't like it. I hope you find something you do like. Witcher 2 is a pretty awesome PC game. Not tried the xbox version but I know it doesn't look as good as the PC version.
Willypiggy 47

Postby Lady Gagagged » 15 Sep 2012, 23:02

I am Sith, hatred to something that doesn't concern me is an irrational assumption. I understand hate and use it accordingly. I just wanted to be noticed rather than walking bow legged out of Lidl.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby Jimmy Luxury » 15 Sep 2012, 23:08

Lady Gagagged wrote:I couldn't give a monkeys Uncle about this game, there I said I don't give a c**ts arse about another game you like. Would some mother f**ker like to tell me why my opinion is invalid because I've played the g...series to death and don't get the fascination? PC games suck.

Hah! Well, what do you say to that. And no I wouldn't, your entitled to your wrong opinion.
Jimmy Luxury 46

Postby Welsh Jester » 15 Sep 2012, 23:33

Real good game, only complaint is the bugs in the A.I, Houndeye's don't go through doors, at one point there is a headcrab always stuck jumping in a vent in one place.. and some issues with enemies noticing you.

Apart from the issues, great game, i've had to knock the difficulty back to normal though as i've come across the commandos the difficulty has gone through the roof.. a little unbalanced.

Have to admit though, they did a great job mixing a bit of half life 2 in with the first.. Brilliant and total quality, unlike the constant console FPS releases like Halo.
Welsh Jester 46

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby You shlaaaag » 16 Sep 2012, 00:57

And guess who makes an appearance? Of all the demons Gordon lets through the portal and he lets through these terrifying creatures.

http://i.imgur.com/IhSwi.jpg
You shlaaaag 37

Postby karkify » 16 Sep 2012, 05:05

You shlaaaag wrote:And guess who makes an appearance? Of all the demons Gordon lets through the portal and he lets through these terrifying creatures.

Holy s**t, VHS tapes!
karkify 50

Postby sonic_uk » 16 Sep 2012, 10:56

I got it, although it took a whole day to find a mirror that 1. actually worked 2. didn't download a corrupted zip file and 3. had a speed faster than 56k. Got it in the end though and have already booted it up to make sure it works and configure my settings. I'll be playing it as soon as I finish my second playthorugh of GRFS, which I'm three quarters through at the moment (and enjoying it).
Own...Xbox360(Slim), Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, Xbox360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 53

Postby Mobius01 » 16 Sep 2012, 12:08

You shlaaaag wrote:And guess who makes an appearance? Of all the demons Gordon lets through the portal and he lets through these terrifying creatures.

lol, I found that mug right at the beginning. Where else did it pop-up?
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby shaunwilmer » 16 Sep 2012, 13:12

An Absolute triumph considering its a community mod. Brings back so much memories playing the original Half Life when it was first released. Amazing Valve didn't get involved in it.

Would have been happy to pay for it. By far a game to play whilst waiting for all the stuff later this year and Feb.
shaunwilmer 42

Postby Cogglesz » 16 Sep 2012, 13:52

I'm real happy with it, it feels like an evolution towards HL2 in terms of controls, it feels more realistic and the hud looks great, not to mention all the good graphics, soundtrack and voice acting, its all real good, its one mod that really doesn't feel like a mod.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 58

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Next