20 easy ways to get free gaming on your Xbox 360

Your comments on our articles.

Games, demos and DLC at no cost to you

Times are hard, and nowadays the best price is free. Luckily, there's a metric ton of free content for those willing to dig under piles of premium themes, overpriced maps and character skins. You just need to know where to look. So keep your pennies, check our thrifty buyer's guide to everything from maps to apps to songs to movies, and gorge yourself on over 100 hours of free entertainment.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

20 easy ways to get free gaming on your Xbox 360

Postby charlyd » 15 Sep 2012, 21:43

WOW this is miserable and you probably have to pay for live to download these.If microsoft want to totally dominate next gen they should take one gamble offer live for free that would twist my arm anyway but until then will stick to psn+ it cost me 50euro but i got a lot of full games for that and have well exceeded 500euros worth of stuff at this stage.
charlyd 33

PSN ID: june567

Re: 20 easy ways to get free gaming on your Xbox 360

Postby rbt2 » 15 Sep 2012, 22:13

Shirley the easiest way to get free 360 gaming is to just nick one?

Not that southern people would know anything about theft.

We leave that sorta thing to you nornthern rascals.

Cos you have to!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby El Mag » 15 Sep 2012, 22:18

True.

I mean when I got my 3DS off eBay (which had no box, no cable and ROYZ written on the side in crayon) it came from a Northern seller.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 15 Sep 2012, 22:34

El Mag wrote:True.

I mean when I got my 3DS off eBay (which had no box, no cable and ROYZ written on the side in crayon) it came from a Northern seller.

Yep and your money payed for me and the wife to have another 7 kids AND and new set of curtains for our caravan.

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 15 Sep 2012, 22:39

Nice tips in the article.

I just knew when I read the title of this thread that the 'yeah but Live isn't free' line would come up and bingo! It's like £2-3 a month!! A month! For a service widely acknowledged as the best service there is. Of course let's not forget your internet is not free so technically PSN isn't free either, hell that means using this site isn't free* :shock: I'm off to rummage in the sofa for some pennies.....

* Yes I'm being sarky

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby TheLastDodo » 15 Sep 2012, 23:03

What a weird feature.

Surely only the demos are genuinely free? And free DLC can only be used if you own the base game to begin with, which chances are you probably paid for so technically you still have to hand over cash for free DLC.

I was kinda hoping there'd be a DC Universe type free to play game in here.

I'm thinking about this too much aren't I?

Nice picks with the Bulletstorm, L4D, Skate and Just Cause demos though.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby TheDragonDoji » 15 Sep 2012, 23:17

Microsoft insist on DLC NOT being free. What an immense shocker coming from the console manufacturer where you pay to get online & STILL have to deal with adverts everywhere.

This is the primary reason I prefer Sony as they appear to be 'making for the gamer' as opposed to 'making just to make more money'. I know I'll get an arse reeming for this opinion but it's my opinion, so b*****ks to ya.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby curryking3 » 15 Sep 2012, 23:17

This has to be one of the worst ideas for an article ever....
curryking3 29

Postby alan666 » 16 Sep 2012, 00:28

curryking3 wrote:This has to be one of the worst ideas for an article ever....

^ This
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby a_randompretzel » 16 Sep 2012, 01:50

TheDragonDoji wrote:Microsoft insist on DLC NOT being free. What an immense shocker coming from the console manufacturer where you pay to get online & STILL have to deal with adverts everywhere.

This is the primary reason I prefer Sony as they appear to be 'making for the gamer' as opposed to 'making just to make more money'. I know I'll get an arse reeming for this opinion but it's my opinion, so b*****ks to ya.

I'm fine with paying the $60 a year for live, plus the advertisements aren't in your face. At least I don't notice them as much. Throw in the fact that it's been a long time since Live has been down for an extended period, compared to PSN seemingly always being down(Not too sure about that though), I'll take Live. As far as Sony being "for the gamer", remember neither company puts the console market as their first priority. Nintendo is probably the only one.
a_randompretzel 11

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 16 Sep 2012, 07:05

charlyd wrote:WOW this is miserable and you probably have to pay for live to download these.If microsoft want to totally dominate next gen they should take one gamble offer live for free that would twist my arm anyway but until then will stick to psn+ it cost me 50euro but i got a lot of full games for that and have well exceeded 500euros worth of stuff at this stage.

But PSN sucks balls, it lags like a donkey, even people who I've known for ages are now moving to XBOX LIVE because it is far superior for multiplayer gaming, and about 10 years ahead.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 39

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 16 Sep 2012, 08:46

PSN lags like a donkey? Funny that you say that as after 5 years I've not had any issues with gaming online with PSN, infact I had more issues with Halo Reach being laggy and having connections drop, it is P2P though like CoD and isn't a issue with XBL just like CoD lagging for some isn't a issue with PSN at all.

In all seriousness I don't understand comments saying XBL is far superior for Online gaming, I've used both in excess of hundreds of hours and really haven't noticed any difference. Unless we're talking about the online UI features? In which case I fully agree but its down to the consoles more than anything rather than network.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby bamozzy » 16 Sep 2012, 08:57

Old Skool Gamer wrote:
charlyd wrote:WOW this is miserable and you probably have to pay for live to download these.If microsoft want to totally dominate next gen they should take one gamble offer live for free that would twist my arm anyway but until then will stick to psn+ it cost me 50euro but i got a lot of full games for that and have well exceeded 500euros worth of stuff at this stage.

But PSN sucks balls, it lags like a donkey, even people who I've known for ages are now moving to XBOX LIVE because it is far superior for multiplayer gaming, and about 10 years ahead.

I have both a PS3 and Xbox 360 and think there are pro's and con's to both systems and online gaming. I will say that I much prefer to play MP games on Xbox Live and can fully understand why it is the console of choice for competitive gaming leagues. Considering it is free though the PSN is OK and you certainly get a lot if you are a PSN+ member. PSN updates and things like that seem incredibly slooooowwwww and seem to take 10 times longer (Min) than the same update on xbox - this is nightmare for games like BF3 with its 2Gig patches! Also when I bought Resistance 3 I had to wait over an hour to play it whilst it updated and installed - I have NEVER waited that long on Xbox but it is free. I also feel that MP games play slightly slower on PS3 - it is easier to go from Xbox to PS3.

However I am glad that PS3 is free as it is more than adequate (I wouldn't want to pay for it unless it was greatly improved) but for £2-£3 a month XBL is definitely worth it too and the adverts don't bother me - its not like they dominate the dashboard
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 68

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby bamozzy » 16 Sep 2012, 09:14

I have actually downloaded a few FREE games from XBL - Harms Way, Dorito's Crash Course and Dorito's Dash of Destruction. All of which are ok and have achievements too - not in the same league as PSN+ offerings though!!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 68

Xbox Live: bamozzy
PSN ID: TaimeDowne

Postby RoKuShaKuBoJutSu » 16 Sep 2012, 09:18

PS3 is king of free gaming. DCUO and DUST 514 are free to play MMOs. It has Home which now has free games like the recently announced RPG and sandbox sim city type game. Finally if you get PS+ you get access to an advertised 45+ free games a year via the instant game collection. Demos and DLC is all very nice, but MS aren't really going all out to offer that kind of value to gamers.
RoKuShaKuBoJutSu 38

Next