to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Resistance dev: "We have theories about why Resistance wasn'

Your comments on our articles.

Insomniac on why Resistance never broke big time

Insomniac CEO Ted Price has spoken with Kotaku about why his studio's Sony exclusive never rivaled Halo at retail.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Resistance dev: "We have theories about why Resistance wasn'

Postby kimoak » 12 Sep 2012, 07:14

I wouldn't worry about it. Halo has never been any good anyway.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Re: Resistance dev: "We have theories about why Resistance w

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 12 Sep 2012, 07:43

Honestly thought Resistance was a bit of an underdog and unexpectedly okay game. Nothing special but it did feel unique with the setting, the weapons, and enemy types. The follow up games had some great moments too with that giant boss throwing you into different buildings and even better weapons and enemies.

Halo CE was great and feels good doing what it could do even today. Every follow up Halo has felt to me like a shallow pile of uninteresting crap, though, tbqh. Halo 4 in the creativity dept looks to be taking a little too much from the Metroid Prime games and doesn't interest me in the slightest. The story, gameplay, and everything else looks to be just as over-rated, hyped and put up on a pedestal just like Halos 2,3, and Reach.

I wouldn't exactly chew my right arm off to play either series but I know that Resistance would get my vote if I had a gun barrel pressed against my head.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby gazza_be » 12 Sep 2012, 08:03

It wasn't Halo because it was nowhere near as good. Simple as. I got the first with my PS3 and found it incredibly boring and bland, even perfect dark zero was more fun and thats saying something.

When, Halo came out it was the best shooter on consoles, and Halo 2 was the best online shooter. The Resistance games was neither of these, it was just another shooter.
gazza_be 49

Postby djhazardous » 12 Sep 2012, 08:47

I remember being severely disappointed with Resisistance 2, everything about the singleplayer game was second-rate compared to the first game, especically the graphics and narative.

I never got into the large scale multiplayer either. I much preferred the first game and never touched the third game after renting the second.

I think I will at some point though, as I enjoyed both demo's I played and it has favourable review scores.
djhazardous 46

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 12 Sep 2012, 08:48

They just shouldn't of botered trying to be Halo. I mean people can already play Halo so why copy that. Anyway the whole concept has more in common with gears anyway. You know not so alien race, emerging from the planet and either converting or killing everyone they find into one of them.

The first game set itself apart because of its great setting and awesome weapons. As controvercial as it was, fighting through manchester cathedral was brilliant.

Then it moved to the US and it just lost most of waht made it great. the lo tech aspect to the human side of things was gone. They were just space marines in suberbia which managed to turn a lot of people off of the game myself included.

Resistance 3 However is hands down one of the best/ under rated single player fpss ever. Its well paced it went back to the series original message of hope in the face of overwhelming odds, It finally gave us characters that you gave a damn about and an amazing sense of scale. If you own a ps3 and you haven't got it in your collection you might as well go and buy a wii or a 360 because you obviously aren't appreciating the machine you've got.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Channel4 » 12 Sep 2012, 09:24

I'm glad they know why it went wrong. Resistance 2 was terrible, they had legions of loyal fans who still played the original online and eagerly awaited the 2nd, then there was a collective "what the hell is this s**t" when the beta released and suddenly the community forums just became empty. It was the first game to suffer the fate of copying COD and failing. (though to be fair they copyed COD before it was the cool thing to do, Insomniac were pioneers lol)
Channel4 38

Postby Agent75 » 12 Sep 2012, 09:42

The fact that it was only on one console obviously doesn't sell as many units, but it was a Sony game anyway. But it doesn't help the fact that there's a lot of shooters out there already, it's a genre on its knees. The first one was a mass letdown, second one was decent, I never played the third one. The one on the PSP wasn't very good. Like Killzone, it was missing that spark. But games with a spark can flop. There might be a new one on the PS4, but can't say I'd be in tears if it never happened. RIP Resistance.
Agent75 48

Postby gillri » 12 Sep 2012, 10:10

Well it wasn't as good that the first thing, gameplay wise it wasnt, halo had a more interesting universe and the convenant really felt alot more unique that the Chimera did.

People bash Halo because it popular but I have very fond memories of the first Halo. It did become MP orientated and the MP was always fantastic but the SP was never as good as Combat Evolved, which was a landmark in the FPS scene.

But I think that the PS3 exclusive scene seems to never have that huge system mover or huge seller, Uncharted 2 was incredible got amazing reviews but still didnt manage to sell halo levels of copies
gillri 50

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 12 Sep 2012, 10:13

I haven't played Halo or Resistance multiplayer, so I can't judge their respective merits. And the less we talk about Resistance Retribution, the better.

The original Resistance trilogy, however, was very good overall. Story, setting, weapons... the single player was truly above average. And I for one didn't mind the changes between 1 & 2, as I found the second one to be a much more thrilling experience, and its ending quite ballsy.
The third one was also quite good, with some interesting changes of pace (the prison level) and a design that blended the best of the first two games. However as a day-one buyer I had to suffer some really annoying (and sometimes even game-crashing) bugs that shouldn't be found in a Triple-A game.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby ensabahnur » 12 Sep 2012, 11:06

It never matched Halo because at the time of Halo CE's release it was groundbreaking and Halo 2 pushed the bar even further with online. Then came Call of Duty. That split the players on PS3, whereas when Halo was originally released it had no competition and built a huge following that transferred to the 360. The playstation had no IP like that to transfer from PS2, Killzone never got the following they hoped for.

Plus the speed and simplicity of Halo online compared to Resistance made it a far easier game to get into.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby FixBeatGames » 12 Sep 2012, 11:36

halo only sold so many copies because it was packaged with the xbox. games like this always sell shed loads. if halo was never packaged with the xbox i doubt it'd still be around today.

resistance 2 was poor, but 3 is one of the best shooters this gen imo.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby martinawatson » 12 Sep 2012, 11:51

Thought No1 really was excellent, fantastic moments in it, great atmosphere, really well written, great graphics.
No2 i almost gave up immediatly for some reason, completed 3 in co op , pretty good game, perhaps borrowed too much from earlier game, still good fun. Needs a reboot on PS4, where i think the alien weapon types will make it really shine, Ps vita for the time being though eh folks.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby ladycroft142 » 12 Sep 2012, 12:34

I actually preferred the original Resistance so much more to Halo, especially online, although I will agree that Resistance 2 did make me fall out of love with the series a bit. They did redeem themselves however, with a great story and campaign in the third, even if online was still rubbish. It's still a much better series and I'm glad that Insomniac know how to let a series go with some dignity when it has obviously run it's course, if only the same could be said for Halo.
ladycroft142 45

Xbox Live: LadyLuck142
PSN ID: ladycroft142

Postby PBUH » 12 Sep 2012, 12:53

FixBeatGames wrote:halo only sold so many copies because it was packaged with the xbox. games like this always sell shed loads. if halo was never packaged with the xbox i doubt it'd still be around today.

resistance 2 was poor, but 3 is one of the best shooters this gen imo.

The first Halo sold like hot cakes, before and after it was packaged as a bundle, just like the following Halo and the one after that. You can say what you like, but in the end people's general opinions of the game far outclass those of other shooters, like Resistence (and I'm not talking fan boys, I'm talking older, more experienced gamers).

Halo made an impact. That impact is why people still believe in the franchise, despite the more recent games ditching what made Halo so great, to focus solely on multiplayer (Halo 3 comes to mind).

Here's hoping 343 Industries' efforts are noteworthy and we finally have a worthwhile campaign to play.
PBUH 29

Postby TheDragonDoji » 12 Sep 2012, 12:54

It wasn't as successful due to being a ps3 release title when the console barely had an install base. Combine that with Halo actually being a system seller...I can only describe Resistance 3 as the same, not the first two.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Next