to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA 'gets too much crap for not being innovative' - DICE

Your comments on our articles.

"EA is actually very prone to try out new things," argues Battlefield boss

DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson has defended publisher EA against the notion that it doesn't innovate enough.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby rivariad » 10 Sep 2012, 23:53

i dunno, if we're talking about something innovative, i wanna see something never seen before, not comparing to the previous title but in general. cuz otherwise you can only name it as an improvement and thats it. the last innovative game i've seen? well, demon's souls or heavy rain imo.
rivariad 46

Postby agentxnofx » 10 Sep 2012, 23:57

new innovative games like Battlefield 4, amirite?
agentxnofx 29

Re: EA 'gets too much crap for not being innovative' - DICE

Postby Dandelion » 11 Sep 2012, 00:24

EA gets less crap than they deserve both from not being innovative and ruining all the franchises they touch
Dandelion 39

Postby Down with robots » 11 Sep 2012, 00:28

EA is only interested in profit, innovation costs money and that comes with the serious risk of failure. Atari died out because it stuck to the same thing for far too long, EA and Activision will probably go the same way in the next 5-10 years.
Down with robots 52

Postby HarmlessCRUNCH » 11 Sep 2012, 00:31

But we don't just give EA crap for not being innovative. We also hate EA because of their s**tty business strategies, terrible marketing, rushed games and and day 1 DLC. Am I missing anything else?
Currently playing: Skyrim (360)
Currently watching: Re-watching My little pony:FIM
Games I've pre-ordered: Assassin's creed 3, Halo 4 and Black ops 2
"Yes...the fire rises!" - Bane
HarmlessCRUNCH 15

Xbox Live: HarmlessCRUNCH
PSN ID: HarmlessCRUNCH

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 11 Sep 2012, 00:46

Poor management of 3rd party titles on the 2600 console is what mainly killed Atari. I'm pretty sure most players of the Tiger Woods, NFS, FIFA, Madden, MOH, BF and Crysis franchises (to name but a few) are happy with how they have developed and improved. Yes there are potential exceptions with the next Dead Space seemingly pouring sand into the fannys of many a so-called purist. However the biggest challenge is that the latest forum trend of complaining about a lack of innovation seems to 1) Conveniently forget about the games that actually do innovate over the current gen 2) Are rare to actually explain what they mean by innovation (saying something new is a good dictionary definition but is too narrow for this argument) and 3) ignore the fact that this is how the game industry has been for many, many years, the only difference been that now the franshises are mega because of the swelling of the gaming demographic.

Don't get me wrong I love a truly great new idea but I also love a good franchise and understand their importance in the family tree of gaming. I would wager that most who use the lack of innovation tag against EA (or any other publisher who don't fall into the darlings of gaming clan) are more fuelled simply by a dislike of EA rather than a tangible argument for innovation and what it would mean/look like (as comments above would suggest)

Some may dream EA will be gone in 5-10 years but they have been doing this s**t for 20+ years already.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Mobius01 » 11 Sep 2012, 00:53

EA 'gets too much crap for not being innovative'

Innovate then. Simples.
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby TheLastDodo » 11 Sep 2012, 01:28

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Poor management of 3rd party titles on the 2600 console is what mainly killed Atari. I'm pretty sure most players of the Tiger Woods, NFS, FIFA, Madden, MOH, BF and Crysis franchises (to name but a few) are happy with how they have developed and improved. Yes there are potential exceptions with the next Dead Space seemingly pouring sand into the fannys of many a so-called purist. However the biggest challenge is that the latest forum trend of complaining about a lack of innovation seems to 1) Conveniently forget about the games that actually do innovate over the current gen 2) Are rare to actually explain what they mean by innovation (saying something new is a good dictionary definition but is too narrow for this argument) and 3) ignore the fact that this is how the game industry has been for many, many years, the only difference been that now the franshises are mega because of the swelling of the gaming demographic.

Don't get me wrong I love a truly great new idea but I also love a good franchise and understand their importance in the family tree of gaming. I would wager that most who use the lack of innovation tag against EA (or any other publisher who don't fall into the darlings of gaming clan) are more fuelled simply by a dislike of EA rather than a tangible argument for innovation and what it would mean/look like (as comments above would suggest)

Some may dream EA will be gone in 5-10 years but they have been doing this s**t for 20+ years already.

+1

I would also add, to the "need more innovation" folk, XBLA/PSN/Steam/iOS are your best choices if you want "innovation" or at least something different to your average dubstep soundtracked bro shooter with tacked on multiplayer that's all the rage these days.

I love seeing "innovation" but you gotta understand, it's not the 90's-early 00's anymore, the more gaming progresses the less "innovation" you're going to see, meaningful innovation is not just something you can magic up out of thin air.

Also don't confuse innovation with new, it's difficult to innovate which is why you don't see it much whereas you don't get many new IP's because barely anyone buys new IP's, more people would rather buy sequels than try something new, which is why we're still waiting for a god damned Mirrors Edge sequel and truly innovative titles like Bulletstorm flopped! :(

It's not rocket science is it? If you want new IP's in future then buy new IP's in the present, start with Dishonored in october, looks a good 'un.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby kalilyrr » 11 Sep 2012, 04:58

agentxnofx wrote:new innovative games like Battlefield 4, amirite?

This would be nice.
kalilyrr 3

Postby roynluc » 11 Sep 2012, 07:07

Give us Rallisport Challenge 3.

Dice gave us Rallisport Challlenge 1 + 2, and with the the 2nd game, they innovated using XSN Sports, an internet browser based league and tournament creator. A few of the old guard from this place used to regularly use the service for Rallisport Challenge 2, Links 2004 and Top Spin Tennis.

Microsoft shut down their XSN Sports service in 2006, having not made a sports game since 2004 due to competition from EA and 2K sports, which was a shame, as the ease of setting up competitions from an internet browser and following how that competition panned out was a very simple process. I miss playing those tournaments :cry:.
roynluc 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: Stonie uk
PSN ID: Stonie_uk
Wii Code: 3DS- 0216-0774-2209

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 11 Sep 2012, 07:59

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Poor management of 3rd party titles on the 2600 console is what mainly killed Atari. I'm pretty sure most players of the Tiger Woods, NFS, FIFA, Madden, MOH, BF and Crysis franchises (to name but a few) are happy with how they have developed and improved. Yes there are potential exceptions with the next Dead Space seemingly pouring sand into the fannys of many a so-called purist. However the biggest challenge is that the latest forum trend of complaining about a lack of innovation seems to 1) Conveniently forget about the games that actually do innovate over the current gen 2) Are rare to actually explain what they mean by innovation (saying something new is a good dictionary definition but is too narrow for this argument) and 3) ignore the fact that this is how the game industry has been for many, many years, the only difference been that now the franshises are mega because of the swelling of the gaming demographic.

Actually they have utterly destroyed the Tiger Woods series with their biggest form of greed and ruined the game for the bad. That series used to be so great. I'm not sure I agree about 'improvements' on MOH, the last game was a giant turd that clearly wasn't finished.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Sep 2012, 08:22

I'd agree with that. Seems an instant gut reaction to just hate big companies whilst enjoying fifa or battlefield without getting the hypocrisy. They have made missteps certainly but so has every other publisher.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby Robcarroll93 » 11 Sep 2012, 08:32

Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect are innovative aren't they?
Robcarroll93 10

Postby tassletine » 11 Sep 2012, 08:36

The problem here is just semantics and people's misunderstanding of the word. Innovation just means to introduce something new. It doesn't have to be change the world.
tassletine 43

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 11 Sep 2012, 08:56

They do innovate in little ways all the time. There's a couple times i've remembered playing an EA game and go wow this really is something new and special.

The first was When i first played Bad Company and i was hiding in a building trying to get away from a tank and it blew the wall i was hiding behind away. and continued to destroy cover where ever i tried to hide. I just thought. Wow. This is brilliant, It made me have to adapt to a more realistic approach to fighting armed targets in the game.

The other time was when i played the i think it was either tigeer woods 10 or 11 on the wii and i used the motion+ I was just blown away by how close it felt in many ways to actually playing golf. Sure it was mostly as a result of the new harware but the devs had obviously sat down with it and spent as much time as they possibly could trying to get it right.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Next