Sony 'working with' Bethesda to fix Skyrim Dawnguard PS3 DLC

Your comments on our articles.

"Everyone involved trying their best to get this stuff working," says Sony

Sony VP Adam Boyes has said the platform holder is working with Bethesda to overcome the issues impeding the release of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim's Dawnguard expansion on PS3.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony 'working with' Bethesda to fix Skyrim Dawnguard PS3 DLC

Postby Mastermue » 08 Sep 2012, 21:26

Even though it's a pain in the rear for PS3 owners, at least Bethesda is trying to fix it before they release it. Better to wait and get it right than release it broken.
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Mastermue 54

Re: Sony 'working with' Bethesda to fix Skyrim Dawnguard PS3

Postby flyfletch » 08 Sep 2012, 21:41

Mastermue wrote:Even though it's a pain in the rear for PS3 owners, at least Bethesda is trying to fix it before they release it. Better to wait and get it right than release it broken.

Exactly, everyone has been blaming Bethesda, but if Sony are on the case on they cant fix it so far, then its clearly a hardware constraint, its very easy to blame Bethesda (even if they earned the blame a lot of the time) but i genuinely believe they wouldnt be doing this on purpose, or that its anything to do with a bad game engine.
flyfletch 72

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 08 Sep 2012, 21:48

I dunno, Bethesda did such a shoddy job of the PS3 version of the game that it barely ran for so many people without some heavy patching! The fact that the game is only just about running is a serious issue when they're looking to add even more work to the game engine to cope with.

Basically if they released a proper version of it without such huge issues, you know delaying the game for PS3 and doing a much better port instead of cashing in they may not be having so many issues.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby flyfletch » 08 Sep 2012, 22:04

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:I dunno, Bethesda did such a shoddy job of the PS3 version of the game that it barely ran for so many people without some heavy patching! The fact that the game is only just about running is a serious issue when they're looking to add even more work to the game engine to cope with.

Basically if they released a proper version of it without such huge issues, you know delaying the game for PS3 and doing a much better port instead of cashing in they may not be having so many issues.

I agree with most of what you have written here, but is it not possible that it really is just the PS3 hardware cant cope with the engine? I dont profess to know much about game engines and hardware, but is it not possible that this is just the real reason? I know a lot of people wont like me saying this (or admit its a possibility), but i also own a PS3 and its just hard not think that this was a mistake.

I actually said long go that i dont think Skyrim should have been released at all on the PS3, it was such a bad port and has done untold damage to the reputation of Bethesda, i bet they are also sorry the ported it now.
Last edited by flyfletch on 08 Sep 2012, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.
flyfletch 72

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 08 Sep 2012, 22:18

It's undeniable that the PS3 has a serious lack of RAM like the 360 and that it was a bloody stupid mistake for Sony to force a 50/50 split for GPU and CPU RAM instead of letting devs decide for themselves. I do wonder why Sony didn't put 1GB in as the RAM is the biggest bottle neck in the hardware.
However having said that, Bethesda knew the limitations and have been suffering with this issue since Oblivion and more so Fallout 3. I think they could have spent another few months porting the game to make the most of the PS3's hardware and no doubt they would have come out on top with a much better utilized version.

People can't say that its not possible otherwise how did the manage to greatly improve the performance of the game since launch? And I disagree, they should have released the game but 6 months later. I was sensible and bought the game 9 months after release and I'm about 70hrs into it (playing it as we speak) I would have played the PC version but for those without a choice would have missed out on what is arguably the greatest game world ever created! No other world has been created to such huge scale and life, luckily for me I've only had the one or 2 issues (nothing game breaking, although almost with the last patch) and no bad framerate drops as of yet. I feel sorry for those that bought it on day 1... actually I don't because Bethesda don't exactly have a good reputation for finished games do they?

I'm not sure that this game would have damaged their reputation either seeing as they Published Vegas and created Fallout 3 full of horrendous game breaking issues on all platforms.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby S-Smith » 08 Sep 2012, 23:06

SONY should tell Bethesda to p*ss-off. They are making the PS3 look & sound bad:-/
S-Smith 41

Postby FixBeatGames » 08 Sep 2012, 23:34

S-Smith wrote:SONY should tell Bethesda to p*ss-off. They are making the PS3 look & sound bad:-/

this.

sorry, but there are many games on ps3 that are way technically superior than skyrim, yet they run like clockwork.
this isn't "hardware restraints", it's bad programming. the game is broken in many areas on ALL versions including the PC, so it's unsurprising that it's going to be unplayable on a slightly more complex architecture like the ps3 has.

fix up bethesda. great idea for a game, shame about the delivery.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby pherik » 09 Sep 2012, 01:25

FixBeatGames wrote:sorry, but there are many games on ps3 that are way technically superior than skyrim, yet they run like clockwork.
this isn't "hardware restraints", it's bad programming.

That's easy to say, but it is a lot more complicated than that.
Building a full game engine is very complicated and the underlying architecture or each engine is designed to deliver whatever goals the developer has and will often have various trade offs that will suit the purpose of the engine (eg games like COD will maximise rendering of close environments at the expense of having epic open areas).
Given the length of time that it is taking Bethesda to resolve the problems, it would seem the issue goes down to something fundamental in the game engine - however that does not make it a bad engine, just that they have let the game grow to the point where the engine is being pushed to it's limits in certain areas, but due to differences in the architectures of the 3 platforms (PC, PS3 and xbox) the PS3 seems to have less tolerance for the limitations.

While this is something you would have expected them to have found in testing, the problem could be something as simple as them adding a big ass castle in the map somewhere that they hadn't originally planned on.... those few extra polygons could have pushed the memory usage over it's limits, but after the game has shipped, I think everyone would be even less happy if they release a patch that cut a big chunk of the map out!
Obviously, I'm not saying that is the problem, just highlighting that the manifestation of the problem could have come about from something unexpected but the only fixes could be changing the games content or rewriting the game engine.
Of course, changing the games content to get it running properly is probably not an option, since you'd be right back in the game position again when Dawn Guard is released - which would probably explain why they've not been able to release it at all on the PS3 yet.
pherik 52

Postby Sammy_bham » 09 Sep 2012, 02:09

Give naughtydog or guerilla a call, they will sort it for you ;-)

the fact they have called sony in to help, proves they are struggling with coding for the ps3.
"Life is a negotiation... we all WANT. So we give, to get what we want..." - Mordin Solus
Sammy_bham 38

Xbox Live: bale1986
PSN ID: sam4sonia

Postby Mini-Nev » 09 Sep 2012, 02:45

flyfletch wrote:
Mastermue wrote:Even though it's a pain in the rear for PS3 owners, at least Bethesda is trying to fix it before they release it. Better to wait and get it right than release it broken.

Exactly, everyone has been blaming Bethesda, but if Sony are on the case on they cant fix it so far, then its clearly a hardware constraint, its very easy to blame Bethesda (even if they earned the blame a lot of the time) but i genuinely believe they wouldnt be doing this on purpose, or that its anything to do with a bad game engine.

Bethesda are totally to blame. Firstly no other company has these problems with developing for PS3 and releasing DLC, games just as big as Skyrim run perfectly on PS3 and have had DLC released on the PS3 with no problems. Bethesda knew of these problem before the games release (don't argue they didn't, because they did with the huge amount of testing there is no way they couldn't) if they couldn't get the game working well on PS3 they should of bit the bullet and not released it on PS3, better no game then a broken game or at the very least stated out right there are many problems with the game and there will not be DLC on PS3. Because of this mess up I have cancelled my Dishonored pre-order as I'm not going through this again and I refuse to give Bethesda more money. If Dawnguard ever comes to PS3 (which I don't think it will) I certainly will not be buying it and I urge all PS3 owners to do the same, Bethesda have to be shown they cannot screw around with there customers and be rewarded for it. Bethesda are 100% to blame.
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Postby that-person » 09 Sep 2012, 03:28

[quote=Bethesda are totally to blame. Firstly no other company has these problems with developing for PS3 and releasing DLC, games just as big as Skyrim run perfectly on PS3 and have had DLC released on the PS3 with no problems. Bethesda knew of these problem before the games release (don't argue they didn't, because they did with the huge amount of testing there is no way they couldn't) if they couldn't get the game working well on PS3 they should of bit the bullet and not released it on PS3, better no game then a broken game or at the very least stated out right there are many problems with the game and there will not be DLC on PS3. Because of this mess up I have cancelled my Dishonored pre-order as I'm not going through this again and I refuse to give Bethesda more money. If Dawnguard ever comes to PS3 (which I don't think it will) I certainly will not be buying it and I urge all PS3 owners to do the same, Bethesda have to be shown they cannot screw around with there customers and be rewarded for it. Bethesda are 100% to blame.[/quote]

Just to let you know, Dishonored isn't made by Bethesda only published, it will be developed by Arkane Studios , it will run on a modified Unreal 3 Engine, which runs perfectly fine on the PS3.

I also agree with it being their fault for buggy games, In my opinion they need to use a better engine, they need to take hints from Rockstar, Square Enix, 2K, none of their games break or have "Hardware Constraints" and some are about as big or bigger than Skyrim's world.
that-person 34

Postby Laughlyn » 09 Sep 2012, 03:55

as much as i love the game, the devs cant go blaming anyone but themselves. i borowed the ps3 version off a mate who i knew had it to test it and then went and bought the 360 version cos i knew dlc was coming onto it but both games are bugged to f*** i have the thieves guild mission bugged atm and need to wait for hearthfire to come on pc so i can copy my save over n use a console command to finish the quest n get my guild master armor and i think a quest to do with stealing the black-briars horse has bugged too cos i've completed all obectives but when i talk to anyone it doesnt finish the quest so theres another.
its a great game but for any future dlc or next release in the series they really need to get their programming sorted, radiant quests was a brilliant idea but its done nothing but f*** the game up by bugging out the real quests
Laughlyn 55

Postby Mini-Nev » 09 Sep 2012, 04:16

that-person wrote:[quote=Bethesda are totally to blame. Firstly no other company has these problems with developing for PS3 and releasing DLC, games just as big as Skyrim run perfectly on PS3 and have had DLC released on the PS3 with no problems. Bethesda knew of these problem before the games release (don't argue they didn't, because they did with the huge amount of testing there is no way they couldn't) if they couldn't get the game working well on PS3 they should of bit the bullet and not released it on PS3, better no game then a broken game or at the very least stated out right there are many problems with the game and there will not be DLC on PS3. Because of this mess up I have cancelled my Dishonored pre-order as I'm not going through this again and I refuse to give Bethesda more money. If Dawnguard ever comes to PS3 (which I don't think it will) I certainly will not be buying it and I urge all PS3 owners to do the same, Bethesda have to be shown they cannot screw around with there customers and be rewarded for it. Bethesda are 100% to blame.

Just to let you know, Dishonored isn't made by Bethesda only published, it will be developed by Arkane Studios , it will run on a modified Unreal 3 Engine, which runs perfectly fine on the PS3.

I also agree with it being their fault for buggy games, In my opinion they need to use a better engine, they need to take hints from Rockstar, Square Enix, 2K, none of their games break or have "Hardware Constraints" and some are about as big or bigger than Skyrim's world.[/quote]
Well I guess I'll be re-pre-ordering, to shopto.net! Thanks a lot
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Postby illage2 » 09 Sep 2012, 06:13

As someone else noted here in the comments its better to wait for a fully fixed version, than to get a buggy version which requires more patching.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby budge » 09 Sep 2012, 09:12

Has anybody experienced NPC's you need to talk to suddenly appear on the other side of the map recently? I followed Tolfdir to Saarthal and entered after him only for him to disappear. When I checked my map he was all the way down near Riverwood!

Bizarre!
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Next