Super Mario Wii U: Our wishlist for Nintendo's biggest serie

Your comments on our articles.

Matthew Castle ponders the bounding behemoth

In Super Mario Galaxy, Mario knew exactly where he was going. Space, the final frontier, and the only place there was physical room to accommodate the breadth of Nintendo's imagination. Look at the plumber gracing NGamer issue one and he's almost unrecognisable by today's standards: there's a look of steely determination in his eyes, the grit of a true platforming pioneer. What happened to that guy?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Super Mario Wii U: Our wishlist for Nintendo's biggest serie

Postby razors edge » 08 Sep 2012, 20:34

Why not bundle a 'risky' 3d Mario along with the WiiU ala Marioworld, Mario 64? I'd buy that.
razors edge 44

Re: Super Mario Wii U: Our wishlist for Nintendo's biggest s

Postby Balladeer » 08 Sep 2012, 21:13

Because 3D Mario doesn't sell as well, sadly.

On another topic, who is Caius and what does s/he have to do with Mario?
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby ricflair » 08 Sep 2012, 21:27

10m for the first and 6m+ for the two Galaxy games, that's not too shabby - plenty to make development worth their while, and I don't think they have the same 'A' team on the NSMB games. The only exclusives that get near those numbers are Halo/Gran Turismo.

For the record, I really like the 2D mario games. They're not Galaxy (or SMW etc for that matter), but they're still lots of fun, and will always appeal to the more 'casual' fan more.
Future Plc, you bloody idiots.

RIP CVG. Long live CVGSC!! http://cvgsc.boards.net - http://thewildbunchcvg.wix.com/cvgsc
ricflair 78

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Izo » 08 Sep 2012, 21:29

Yeah it's not that 3d doesn't sell it just doesn't sell as much as the 2d games which sell consistently for years.
Izo 71
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: The Wyrdness
PSN ID: Wyrdness
Battle.net: Wii U: Wyrdness

Postby alan666 » 08 Sep 2012, 21:54

So one of the best platform games 'Mario Galaxy' (best Mario games) sells only ten million copies on the Wii which everyone says is the most successful games console ever hmmm

I own both Super Mario 3D Land & New Super Mario Bros 2 & i have to say Super Mario 3D Land is by a long way a far superior game, New Super Mario Bros 2 is just the same old side scrolling Mario game that has been around since the NES, i have no interest in Super Mario Wii U as it seems to be the same game as New Super Mario Bros 2, what about Mario Galaxy 3 ?

The Wii U will be a eighth generation console & Nintendo are still releasing updates of first generation console games :roll: the reason so many people brought New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS is because there are very few decent games for the 3DS, yet again Nintendo have mess up, what is the point of a 3D enabled console if they do not release 3D games for it :roll:

Looks like the Wii U will have a poor line-up of games just like the Wii did & will bereft of AAA games after only a few years, like the 3DS i also suspect (wish i have never got a 3DS now 'on release') :(
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Sep 2012, 23:03

Why not have a 3D mario game that also has 2D playing fields?, a mix of both..

Unrelated i know but i think they should do this for a new Oddworld game as well because i could not get into the 3D ones.. Like have the game switch from 3D to 2D plains and camera angles, or even at certain points of a level.

I own 3D land and it is a very good game in my opinion, just too bad the slide pad on the 3DS is slippery, i end up playing my Vita a lot more now.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Legend Turtle » 09 Sep 2012, 00:28

Balladeer wrote:Because 3D Mario doesn't sell as well, sadly.

On another topic, who is Caius and what does s/he have to do with Mario?

Caius is from final fantasy xiii2, looks like a rogue screenshot to me.
Bureaucrat Conrad, you are technically correct -- the best kind of correct.

Guards! Bring me the forms I need to fill out to have her taken away!
Legend Turtle 44

Postby MD1500 » 09 Sep 2012, 04:23

Wow. It's a bit soon for this article to appear online, isn't it?
Nintendo Gamer issue 80 (R.I.P.) is only just out.
MD1500 52

Wii Code: 0483-2201-0667-9411
xFire: 3DS FC: 2320 - 6115 - 3313

Postby Balladeer » 09 Sep 2012, 08:15

Welsh Jester wrote:Why not have a 3D mario game that also has 2D playing fields?, a mix of both.

Super Mario Galaxy 2, will you please stand up?

Also please don't make a 3DS vs. Vita post in thread which has very little to do with one and nothing to do with the other.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby KesMonkey » 09 Sep 2012, 10:50

alan666 wrote:So one of the best platform games 'Mario Galaxy' (best Mario games) sells only ten million copies on the Wii which everyone says is the most successful games console ever hmmm

I own both Super Mario 3D Land & New Super Mario Bros 2 & i have to say Super Mario 3D Land is by a long way a far superior game, New Super Mario Bros 2 is just the same old side scrolling Mario game that has been around since the NES, i have no interest in Super Mario Wii U as it seems to be the same game as New Super Mario Bros 2, what about Mario Galaxy 3 ?

The Wii U will be a eighth generation console & Nintendo are still releasing updates of first generation console games :roll: the reason so many people brought New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS is because there are very few decent games for the 3DS, yet again Nintendo have mess up, what is the point of a 3D enabled console if they do not release 3D games for it :roll:

Looks like the Wii U will have a poor line-up of games just like the Wii did & will bereft of AAA games after only a few years, like the 3DS i also suspect (wish i have never got a 3DS now 'on release') :(

Has anyone, ever, claimed that the Wii is the most successful games console ever? It's fairly common knowledge that the PS2 is the most successful games console so far, and that the Wii was the most successful of this generation.

The NES is a 3rd generation machine, not 1st generation. 1st generation began in 1972, more than a decade before the NES.

How on earth can you possibly state that reason so many people bought NSMB2? You can't. That's pure speculation.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 63

Postby alan666 » 09 Sep 2012, 11:04

KesMonkey wrote:
alan666 wrote:So one of the best platform games 'Mario Galaxy' (best Mario games) sells only ten million copies on the Wii which everyone says is the most successful games console ever hmmm

Has anyone, ever, claimed that the Wii is the most successful games console ever? It's fairly common knowledge that the PS2 is the most successful games console so far, and that the Wii was the most successful of this generation.

The NES is a 3rd generation machine, not 1st generation. 1st generation began in 1972, more than a decade before the NES.

How on earth can you possibly state that reason so many people bought NSMB2? You can't. That's pure speculation.

Everyone is saying the Wii U will be a success because the Wii was last generation & the amount of units it sold, yet it had the shortest lifespan in game terms.

Ok i got the generations mixed up, but the point i made is still valid.

Why did more people buy a 2D Mario game on a 3D console yet a 3D Mario game sold poorly, what are the figures to-date for both, i do not understand why people would want a buy a 2D game on a 3D console over a 3D enabled game, that's just plain stupid.

Why bother putting all that money & R&D into the 3DS if Nintendo themselves are not going to put their flagship content in 3D ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby ricflair » 09 Sep 2012, 11:43

Very few games on the PS2 sold more than Galaxy has managed, and it had the majority of the market to itself, so the sales aren't bad at all.

The Wii may have sold huge numbers, but anyone who doesn't think that new/casual gamers make up a fair chunk of the 90m+ wiis that have been sold is kidding themselves. And I'm sure they'll prefer something simpler like NSMB - the sales figures speak for themselves.

A good game is a good game, regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D. A pure side scroller is only going to have 3D as a visual effect, as opposed to a gameplay mechanic, but I don't see why that's a problem. Why exclude an entire genre of games just because you've made a '3D' console? If every Nintendo game was like that, then fair enough, but that's not the case. Whether Nintendo were right to focus on 3D on their handheld, well I don't know - it did seem like bandwagon jumping, but it will come down to the games. Same as on Wii U, if the games are there, I won't care about 720p vs 1080p or a few more polygons. So I hope the games are there.

I don't know how well the Wii U will do. I don't think most people think it will do what the Wii did in terms of sales, but I just don't see the point of another console that will be exactly like the next xbox/PS. I hope the releases don't dry up like they did on Wii after 2009, but time will tell.

If you have actually preordered a Wii U, I'd cancel it. I doubt you'll be happy. Just get the next xbox.
Future Plc, you bloody idiots.

RIP CVG. Long live CVGSC!! http://cvgsc.boards.net - http://thewildbunchcvg.wix.com/cvgsc
ricflair 78

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Imaduck » 09 Sep 2012, 12:09

Plumbing.
Imaduck 58

Postby BeansOnToast » 09 Sep 2012, 13:02

Imaduck wrote:Plumbing.

That's a good point. How about we actually get around to doing some plumbing in a Mario game?

In all the games I've played, never once has Mario had to go round to sort out Bowser's blocked toilet.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby Stryker89 » 09 Sep 2012, 13:10

alan666 wrote:Looks like the Wii U will have a poor line-up of games just like the Wii did & will bereft of AAA games after only a few years, like the 3DS i also suspect (wish i have never got a 3DS now 'on release')

The Wii did NOT have a poor line-up of games. You, like so many others, are clearly blinded by the overwhelming splurge of rubbish third-party games the Wii had. Look harder, and you'll find dozens of decent Wii games worth playing, many of which are far more original than anything you'll find on Xbox/PS.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Next