US Xbox 360 sales top PS3, Wii for 20th straight month

Your comments on our articles.

While 3DS XL release helps boost handheld sales for Nintendo

Xbox 360 outsold PS3 and Wii for the 20th consecutive month in the US during August.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

US Xbox 360 sales top PS3, Wii for 20th straight month

Postby Ali_ » 07 Sep 2012, 11:36

Urgent message to C&VG: nobody cares. This was relevant (though only to fanboys) in 2007, not 5 years later and on the cusp of the next generation.
Ali_ 58

Re: US Xbox 360 sales top PS3, Wii for 20th straight month

Postby darry » 07 Sep 2012, 11:43

Ali_ wrote:Urgent message to C&VG: nobody cares. This was relevant (though only to fanboys) in 2007, not 5 years later and on the cusp of the next generation.

If you're interesting in the business side of the industry, it's definitely a relevant story. The problem is that so many rabid fanboys are incapable of separating their love of games with the success of the big console manufacturers.

Also, surely the cusp of a new generation is an incredibly important time to have strong sales - especially now, when you have XBLA/PSN content and achievements/trophies that you will be able to carry over to the next consoles. Look at how strong Apple's App Store is on that front.
darry 55

Postby El Mag » 07 Sep 2012, 11:50

I was playing Need For Speed: Most Wanted on my 360 last night, so I prefer 2005 to 2007 personally.

How are Panasonic tele's selling? Only, I got one to replace my Samsung a few months ago and I'd hate to feel like I backed the wrong horse. I made that mistake once and regretted it every day, as it turns out Brookside didn't outlast every other soap.
Last edited by El Mag on 07 Sep 2012, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Sep 2012, 11:50

darry wrote:
Ali_ wrote:Urgent message to C&VG: nobody cares. This was relevant (though only to fanboys) in 2007, not 5 years later and on the cusp of the next generation.

If you're interesting in the business side of the industry, it's definitely a relevant story. The problem is that so many rabid fanboys are incapable of separating their love of games with the success of the big console manufacturers.

Also, surely the cusp of a new generation is an incredibly important time to have strong sales - especially now, when you have XBLA/PSN content and achievements/trophies that you will be able to carry over to the next consoles. Look at how strong Apple's App Store is on that front.

Valid points well made.

America is 360 country.

Japan is Nintendo country.

Europe is Sony country.

This can all change though depending on Games and price cuts so ignore what I just wrote :lol: .

Which sums up the beauty of sales.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby ingy » 07 Sep 2012, 11:52

I'm very interested in the sales figures, it has a direct bearing on the release of the new consoles, which i'm sure we're all interested in.

Only one thing worse than a moaner,...someone who moans about moaners..................damn :?
ingy 64

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Sep 2012, 12:44

How does it have a direct bearing?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby ingy » 07 Sep 2012, 13:14

FishyGinger wrote:How does it have a direct bearing?

If sales fall through the floor then the new consoles will surely arrive sooner, duh.
ingy 64

Postby martinawatson » 07 Sep 2012, 13:31

In another thread , a fellow forum poster is quite viscious towards the CVG team and their abilitys as Journalists , it seemed a bit mean and over the top. What i would like to comment though is how can the CVG team present themselves as a team who is unbiased and has integrity when they repeatadly comment that the 360 is "winning" (a la charlie sheen_) in the USA and they never, literaly never comment that week after week , month after month the PS3 is beating the 360 in sales Globally.
So although the headlines are not misleading, it is a very subtle psychology which could make people think they are taking a back hander to present news in a biased fashion towards Microsoft, so a bit of balance please.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Sep 2012, 13:34

ingy wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:How does it have a direct bearing?

If sales fall through the floor then the new consoles will surely arrive sooner, duh.

And if the console isn't ready then what, they'll release a box with nothing in it? Or rush it after what happened with the 360? Maybe think before you ridicule someone.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Sep 2012, 13:36

martinawatson wrote:In another thread , a fellow forum poster is quite viscious towards the CVG team and their abilitys as Journalists , it seemed a bit mean and over the top. What i would like to comment though is how can the CVG team present themselves as a team who is unbiased and has integrity when they repeatadly comment that the 360 is "winning" (a la charlie sheen_) in the USA and they never, literaly never comment that week after week , month after month the PS3 is beating the 360 in sales Globally.
So although the headlines are not misleading, it is a very subtle psychology which could make people think they are taking a back hander to present news in a biased fashion towards Microsoft, so a bit of balance please.

Have you never seen the Japanese Hardware articles where MS are always a sorry last and Nintendo kick everyone's arses?

Plus, 18 months on the spin as the top selling console in the biggest market is winning. I know it hurts, but Home is out of Beta and MS and Nintendo dont have Harvest Moon. So everyone's a Winner :wink:
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby metallicorphan » 07 Sep 2012, 13:51

it's interesting to read that although still leading they are now under 200k sales,that has dipped a lot(i think)

And i don't mind the CVG team as Journalists' i just don't see the point of the 'UK','AUS',and 'The World' selections at the top,if they got rid of that pointless option then everything else would be fine

StonecoldMC wrote:

America is 360 country.

Europe is Sony country.

I would suggest that only Mainland Europe is a Sony 'country',whereas the UK(and most probably Ireland)is a 360 country or maybe a 360/PS3 country at most,but i think the 360 is still leading sales here(someone correct me if i am wrong)
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Sep 2012, 13:56

metallicorphan wrote:it's interesting to read that although still leading they are now under 200k sales,that has dipped a lot(i think)

And i don't mind the CVG team as Journalists' i just don't see the point of the 'UK','AUS',and 'The World' selections at the top,if they got rid of that pointless option then everything else would be fine

StonecoldMC wrote:

America is 360 country.

Europe is Sony country.

I would suggest that only Mainland Europe is a Sony 'country',whereas the UK(and most probably Ireland)is a 360 country or maybe a 360/PS3 country at most,but i think the 360 is still leading sales here(someone correct me if i am wrong)

Your probably are right.

Europe (apart from UK and Ireland) is Sony country.

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby billysastard » 07 Sep 2012, 14:10

metallicorphan wrote:it's interesting to read that although still leading they are now under 200k sales,that has dipped a lot(i think)

StonecoldMC wrote:

America is 360 country.

Europe is Sony country.

so countries where the economy is fragile but just about stable buy nintendo or microsoft and the eurozone which is on the verge of complete meltdown buy mostly sony, sounds like a great place to launch another high priced games console and $25,000 tv to use it on.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Barry316 » 07 Sep 2012, 14:17

billysastard wrote:so countries where the economy is fragile but just about stable buy nintendo or microsoft and the eurozone which is on the verge of complete meltdown buy mostly sony, sounds like a great place to launch another high priced games console and $25,000 tv to use it on.

I'm sure if they launched a, let's call it an hardened edition, with a remote control drone, big useless box and plastic coins you'd put your constant hate to one side and hypocrite the s**t outta it. I mean buy, sorry i confuse those.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby voodoo341 » 07 Sep 2012, 14:21

Barry316 wrote:
I'm sure if they launched a, let's call it an hardened edition, with a remote control drone, big useless box and plastic coins you'd put your constant hate to one side and hypocrite the s**t outta it. I mean buy, sorry i confuse those.

:lol:

of course Ireland is famed for it's stable economy :shock:
voodoo341 75

Next