to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dark Souls director concerned about difficulty

Your comments on our articles.

Is considering an easy mode so 'everyone can complete' the game

Dark Souls is known for its difficulty and for giving gamers a challenge. Director Hidetaka Miyazaki has considered adding an easier difficulty so everyone can enjoy the game, but would that ruin the essence of Dark Souls?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dark Souls director concerned about difficulty

Postby Dalaeck » 04 Sep 2012, 01:48

Keep it as it is! There need to be games that punish idiots, fools and reward strategic, merciless, calculated thinking.
Our children are growing up on COD and GTA and they end up limp.
Dalaeck 42

Re: Dark Souls director concerned about difficulty

Postby k-mysta » 04 Sep 2012, 02:09

No need. I am thoroughly proud of my Demon Souls platinum and will be once I get my Dark Souls one. Its almost a subgenre of its own. The main point is to learn and adapt, one made pointless when you don't have to put much effort into finishing the game. The sense of accomplishment achieved is rare today, made all the more satisfying as its a game that is either completed or not (with no easy option as a quick fix). Ofcourse, if its to get more money to make sequels, do what you have to. I can understand that much of business
k-mysta 43

Postby TheLastDodo » 04 Sep 2012, 02:13

I propose the potential new easy difficulty be named 'Sellout Mode' and when you get a kill a "Good Job Bro!" message pops up on the screen.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby karkify » 04 Sep 2012, 02:22

There would be no point in the game existing if you remove the difficulty. The difficulty IS Demon's/Dark Souls. What's this obsession with making everything easy and "accessible" for f**ks sake. They added an easy mode to Dragon's Dogma, and that game isn't even hard to begin with!

EDIT: I'm curious as to how it would be implemented into the online structure of the game, since everyone plays at the same difficulty, everyone can play together. Adding in "easy mode", you would have to separate the lot. I think this is more hassle than it's worth, and it isn't worth a whole lot to begin with.

Show some integrity, From Software, and keep it the way it is.
karkify 50

Postby BenThomasFoster » 04 Sep 2012, 02:49

Look where easy mode got mass effect
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby Mini-Nev » 04 Sep 2012, 03:03

Add it, what's the harm if you want award game then don't play on that mode simple, all it's will do is open the game up to new people and help the game sell more. Everyone against this is just being stupid there not going to force you to play easy mode.
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Postby rhyfel » 04 Sep 2012, 08:48

NO NO NO and NO to a easy mode, if you add a easy mode you will be losing most of what makes demons and dark souls such great games leave the difficulty alone.
rhyfel 37

Postby gayrath » 04 Sep 2012, 08:52

I can see his point. I played about an hour of Dark Souls and never touched Demon Souls. They are games, story wise, that I really want to play. But frankly doing the same fight 10/15 times, each time dying almost instantly just becoems tedious, and life is far too short for that. That isn't to say I like things easy and don't relish a challenge. I just like a more balanced game in my hands that lets me enjoy both the gameplay and the story. I found myself so obsessed with getting Demon Souls right that the story was largely ignored. Games are expensive. He must be worried about all those lost sales because people are just too scared to even bother picking it up.

Having said all that I don't think he should change the game. Demon/Dark Souls are meant to be ruthless, ridiculously tough games and that is how they should remain. There is no pont in creating a game that is famed for its difficulty, and then making it easy. There are plenty of action RPGs on the market for people like me to dive into. We don't really need another one. Dilting the franchise will just p**s off the fans.
gayrath 38

Postby jnewco81 » 04 Sep 2012, 09:20

No way! The day this series gets dumbed down is the day I quit gaming. Seriously, there's too much identikit-button-mashing crap out there these days.
jnewco81 22

Postby Niknak106 » 04 Sep 2012, 09:30

Pro: They sell more copies meaning more chance of further entries in the series.

Con: Playing it on easy completely misses the point of the game. The people who complain about the game being too hard are brain dead. They don't want to learn. They don't want to be taught. They don't want to accept that the reason they keep dying over and over again in the same place is because it's their fault, not the game's. They just want to barrel into every encounter mashing a button and hoping for victory.

Personally, I say let 'em have their easy mode. I know that I'll be a lot more satisfied when I complete the game the way it's meant to be played than someone who needs their hand held. I just hope they call it 'Queenie Mode' or something similar and I really want them to offer no trophies or achievements for anything in easy mode. It'll also be interesting to see how they handle the online functions. Griefing the easy moders will be fun if it's allowed :lol:
....needless to say, I had the last laugh!
Niknak106 58

Xbox Live: Combichrist
Steam: Artimus_Clydefrog
Battle.net: Combichrist#2276

Postby budge » 04 Sep 2012, 09:50

I'll have to play Demon's Souls again. The first few hours i played were sound, i loved it's eerie and lonely atmosphere and careful fighting approach for evey single enemy. Honestly, i don't think it needs an easy mode, it just needs a patient player.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby brookie_2001 » 04 Sep 2012, 10:12

Future Dark Souls can have an easy mode. I'm not against it. So long as they keep the original difficulty in the game. They could like some other games is remove certain content from the easy mode, as an incentive to stick to normal mode.
brookie_2001 62

Postby moogiesboy » 04 Sep 2012, 10:20

Not fussed about an easy mode but id like a normal mode instead of hardcore die die crazy mofo mode that we have now.
If that upsets some? Who thd fook cares? Some of you guys may be ninja assassin badass gay'mers but some of us are normal but love our games just as much. Get over it.
moogiesboy 50

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby dwhlufc » 04 Sep 2012, 10:26

I don't see what all the fuss is, if their just adding it as an option for people who might want to play the game but won't as they're intimidated by the difficulty levels. It's not harming people who want to play it in its original form, they could always lock the platinum behind the intended difficulty if it bothers people that much.
dwhlufc 75

Postby StonecoldMC » 04 Sep 2012, 10:31

Christ all Mighty! Moan moan bitch bitch moan.

Its not going to be the default setting, all you Hardcore Gamer's can continue to prove your mettle on the hardest settings known to man, but it just opens the Game up to a wider audience and could potentially make the Dev and Publisher more money. A small thing I know, but to many businesses they look at this as being quite an important factor of running a business. Crazy, eh?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Next