to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'I'm worried hiding endings behind DLC could become a trend'

Your comments on our articles.

Does the idea of coughing up cash for the payoff trouble you?

On this week's mailbox we've got Jake Kleinman, who is worried that games in the future will ask players to purchase downloadable content packs to experience the endings.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'I'm worried hiding endings behind DLC could become a trend'

Postby BeansOnToast » 01 Sep 2012, 18:29

If extra content such as bonus levels or map packs are released some time after the main game and are reasonably priced, then it can be good to extend interest in the game.

Releasing a partial game and then asking players to pay some more to unlock the whole package or the best features would seem a bit cheeky.
BeansOnToast 29

Re: 'I'm worried hiding endings behind DLC could become a tr

Postby alan666 » 01 Sep 2012, 18:41

Well Alan Wake was on my list of 'to buy' games, not anymore.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby JD_Method » 01 Sep 2012, 20:00

Wasn't the first piece of DLC free for people who purchased new copies of Alan Wake? It was for me at least. Only had to pay for the second DLC, which I'd say is worth it if you enjoyed the rest of the game.
JD_Method 58

Postby BeansOnToast » 01 Sep 2012, 20:55

JD_Method wrote:Wasn't the first piece of DLC free for people who purchased new copies of Alan Wake?

Yes it was (and still is as far as I know), the download code is included on a scratch off card in the Xbox case. The main game is cheap now and if you buy the recently released PC version I think all the DLC is included with the game along with extra stuff.

The game is well worth buying in my opinion.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 01 Sep 2012, 22:01

alan666 wrote:Well Alan Wake was on my list of 'to buy' games, not anymore.

Whilst i can see your reasoning behind that statement, you are still missing out on a gem if you don't buy it. It's brilliant. Great story, gameplay, atmosphere. I can't actually remember the message at the end he is talking about in his letter, but i heard the DLC isn't that great anyway. And no-one is forcing you to buy it (as is the case with all DLC). Like i said, you would be missing out on a brilliant game if you don't get it, especially for the cheap price it is nowadays.

You should definately get it :D

On topic, i like DLC to an extent. DLC done right (GTA expansions, RDR Undead Nightmare, Fallout DLC, etc) i am all in favour for. But the type of DLC crap that Capcom are playing at i hate. It is plain to see they are wanting more money for the game. Surely there must be somewhere in all these fancy Trade Acts they have that says something like what Capcom is doing is illegal :?
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby Lady Gagagged » 01 Sep 2012, 22:59

If it is a way to get people to part with cash to complete a game it is comparable with an expansion pack. The only time I can recall it happening is when people complain about the ending, like with Prince of Persia.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby Yellow6 » 02 Sep 2012, 08:48

MJ-Thriller94 wrote:

Whilst i can see your reasoning behind that statement, you are still missing out on a gem if you don't buy it. It's brilliant. Great story, gameplay, atmosphere. I can't actually remember the message at the end he is talking about in his letter,

I completed Alan Wake recently (I think in the last twelve months), on Xbox 360.
I don't remember such a message either.
It's still worth buying anyway.
If there was some reference to a possible sequel it doesn't dilute this game.

Was this article by Jake Kleinman refferring to the new Alan Wake (American nightmare)?
Come on CVG, give us some clarity here.
Can we get a fact check on this article please?
:?

I agree with Jake's points in general, I just don't know if they are valid on this game :?:
Last edited by Yellow6 on 02 Sep 2012, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby billysastard » 02 Sep 2012, 08:54

Lady Gagagged wrote:If it is a way to get people to part with cash to complete a game it is comparable with an expansion pack. The only time I can recall it happening is when people complain about the ending, like with Prince of Persia.

like all dlc its just a cash grab by greedy publishers wanting to milk suckers to pay again for something they thought they had already bought, yes there are a few exceptions (gta, rdr, borderlands 1, oblivion and fallout) but compared to the money grubbing greed of most publishers those are the very few exceptions.

sadly, whilst idiots continue to support this greed, it can only get worse as publishers try to see just how much they can persuade the gullible to keep paying, if everyone simply stopped buying any dlc for anything no matter how much they wanted it in 6 months it would be gone and in 12 months we'd be back to getting what we paid for.

as to the original article, as the poster above says i cant recall having to buy or use an included code to see the game, the code was for an additional chapter (that of course because of my anti dlc policy i never got to see)

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby nb_nmare2 » 02 Sep 2012, 09:48

This is hardly a recent trend. The original Doom had an entire fourth episode released way back in 1995. Of course, that was free for existing owners of the game...

If you get the PC version, all the DLC is included anyway. You also get superior graphics (HD textures, improved shadows and lighting), and more responsive controls (the 360 gamepad is supported, so no excuse about preferring gamepads over mouse & keyboard).
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Bilstar » 02 Sep 2012, 12:12

billysastard wrote: like all dlc its just a cash grab by greedy publishers wanting to milk suckers to pay again for something they thought they had already bought, yes there are a few exceptions (gta, rdr, borderlands 1, oblivion and fallout) but compared to the money grubbing greed of most publishers those are the very few exceptions.

sadly, whilst idiots continue to support this greed, it can only get worse as publishers try to see just how much they can persuade the gullible to keep paying, if everyone simply stopped buying any dlc for anything no matter how much they wanted it in 6 months it would be gone and in 12 months we'd be back to getting what we paid for.

I agree. It's a proper crap state of affairs. People who buy this cynical, pumped out, rip-off DLC need their heads either looking at, or kicking.
Bilstar 24

Postby gmcb007 » 02 Sep 2012, 12:41

It's all down to substance and pricing. Fallout 3 had meaty content for 800 MSP that offered a genuine addition to a game at a fair price. Deus Ex sold it's one piece of DLC at 1200msp and that was simply cut content designed to farm cash. Unfortunately until us, the gamers stop buying into the blatant rip off content then the publishers will continue to chance their arm shafting us.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby mattdark » 03 Sep 2012, 07:14

I wouldnt call it a 'trend', Ive only ever seen a few games release the proper ending via DLC, and they have usually been criticised for it.

Prince of Persia (2008) did it, releasing a piece that continued the story after the game was meant to finish.

Asura's Wrath stopped at a point where it seemed like they were setting it up for a sequal, but then announced one of the pieces of DLC would be the final chapters, giving you the true ending.

I belive we saw it with FFXIII-2, where the game ended on an open point, but if you bought one of the DLC packs, it then turned into the 'to be continued' ending, setting things up for the now confirmed, FFXIII-3
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 52

PSN ID: MattDark86

Postby Lady Gagagged » 03 Sep 2012, 08:51

Bilstar wrote:
billysastard wrote: like all dlc its just a cash grab by greedy publishers wanting to milk suckers to pay again for something they thought they had already bought, yes there are a few exceptions (gta, rdr, borderlands 1, oblivion and fallout) but compared to the money grubbing greed of most publishers those are the very few exceptions.

I agree. It's a proper crap state of affairs. People who buy this cynical, pumped out, rip-off DLC need their heads either looking at, or kicking.

PC Gamers like to brag that they get all this for free, but as I alluded to in my first post, expansion packs for PC games have been around for years and are little different to DLC. I choose to get what I am prepared to pay for.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby FishyGinger » 03 Sep 2012, 09:38

billysastard wrote:
like all dlc its just a cash grab by greedy publishers wanting to milk suckers to pay again for something they thought they had already bought, yes there are a few exceptions (gta, rdr, borderlands 1, oblivion and fallout) but compared to the money grubbing greed of most publishers those are the very few exceptions.

So extras that aren't part of the direct story and have no bearing on the game shouldn't be released and people that play them are idiots because you aren't interested? Something like dead space severed (i'm not saying it's good, that's beyond the point) should never have been released even if some people wanted it simply because companies are trying to make money?

I don't agree with a lot of dlc but with respect sir, you've got your head right up your big fat arse.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Black Mantis » 03 Sep 2012, 11:40

Alan Wake had no such message. The aim was to free his wife, which was done at the end of the main game. The DLC elaborated on what became of Alan and hinted at the future of the series.
Black Mantis 67