to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

CVG Classics: 'Konix here at last!!'

Your comments on our articles.

Issue 96, October 1989: "World Exclusive Batman Game Reviewed'

For this week's trip down memory lane we're metaphorically mosying on down to 1989 for a retrospective thumb through issue 95 of Computer and Video Games Magazine. A publication famed for the "FIRST EVER HOLOGRAPHIC GAME PREVIEW" - among other things.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

CVG Classics: 'Konix here at last!!'

Postby ensabahnur » 31 Aug 2012, 16:08

MYTH!!! Wow, that was one of my favourite games on the old C64. A wee guy in a waistcoat taking on Gods. They don't make em like that anymore.

And well done to the writer for making me feel like a right old bastard, he may have only been 2 years old but i was 13 and can even remember what shop i bought this issue from, they used to put it aside for me every month.
Last edited by ensabahnur on 31 Aug 2012, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Re: CVG Classics: 'Konix here at last!!'

Postby ZeroGeek » 31 Aug 2012, 16:25

Woo, major major blast from the past - this right here is the very first computer games magazine I ever bought at the tender age of 10! C&VG was my bible throughout the 90s, great great memories all starting with this very issue. Pretty sure my obsession with the Batman movie at the time meant one look at the Joker on the cover and that was it - sold ^_^
ZeroGeek 1
New user

Postby StonecoldMC » 31 Aug 2012, 16:31

Now that's what I am talking aboot!

1989? I was a 9 year old whipper snapper trying to get a shot of my Big Brothers NES.

A really Fantastic read :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby rallyeboy » 31 Aug 2012, 16:38

Holy Crap, I remember that issue and that makes me feel old as well!! I was 16 years old. I see the Xenon 2 hologram thingy........It's a Megablast!!!! Awesome game. Ahhhhh those were the days.
XBL Gamertag: Rallyeboy
PSN ID: Rallyeboy_RB
rallyeboy 45

Xbox Live: Rallyeboy
PSN ID: Rallyeboy_RB

Postby Rob Crossley » 31 Aug 2012, 16:39

StonecoldMC wrote:Now that's what I am talking aboot!

1989? I was a 9 year old whipper snapper trying to get a shot of my Big Brothers NES.

Thought you'd like it :)

I'm going to try to get Tamoor to do more of them - he's hilarious!
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby StonecoldMC » 31 Aug 2012, 16:52

Rob Crossley wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:Now that's what I am talking aboot!

Thought you'd like it :)

I'm going to try to get Tamoor to do more of them - he's hilarious!

If they would be anything like his Twitter feed, get him on it :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby eltonbird » 31 Aug 2012, 16:55

I had that issue too. Odd, as I wasn't an 'every issue' CVG buyer, but seem to have all the one's mentioned so far.. It can't last.
eltonbird 54

Postby KesMonkey » 31 Aug 2012, 17:05

I too remember this issue. I love being reminded of my gaming youth (part of the reason I buy Retro Gamer magazine every month). I can remember how excited I was for the Konix Multisystem, and how disappointed I was when it failed to materialise.
I think someone mentioned it before, but I'd really love to be able to read complete versions of these old issues again (no, I didn't keep any of them) in PDF format. I'd settle for a gallery of cover scans. :)
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby toaplan » 31 Aug 2012, 17:39

Sim-City... along with Populous, was the original "god game". Nowadays I guess just a strategy game. It was so different and innovative that it was quite an attention grabber. And surprisingly addictive, considering that sometimes it felt like there wasn't much to do and overall no clear objective in the game. (I ended up being obsessed about the land value of the swanky coastal downtown of my city).

It was for the best that the Konix was never released, it would have been too little too late. It seemed to have been intended as a competitor to the 16-bit home computers and had comparable specs, but by 1990, the days of 16-bit computers were already numbered as the Japanese console invasion was gathering momentum.

(Fighter) Bomber on the Amiga is a game I remember for having one of the slowest frame rates ever, as if the game was running in slow motion all the time. It made a promising game just boring. Fortunately F29 Retaliator a little later showed you could do a fast and attractive combat flight sim on the Amiga.
Last edited by toaplan on 31 Aug 2012, 23:58, edited 2 times in total.
toaplan 73

Postby Lady Gagagged » 31 Aug 2012, 18:46

Everyone of the older members here are so young.
Lady Gagagged 66

Xbox Live: Unflusterrable
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot

Postby coldburner » 31 Aug 2012, 20:10

I loved those CVG Holograms! Great cover BTW, Jack Nick' in his hammed up Joker glory.
As for the Konix Multisystem, it was always on my childhood radar, but alas it was doomed from the start for a British video game system (even though it had tons of potential). Oh yeah, I've just remembered the British console that make it to retail, yes Alan Sugar's little baby, the "cutting edge" Amstrad GX4000 (shudder....)
coldburner 31

Postby shellster2 » 31 Aug 2012, 20:15

I per-ordered the konix multisystem down at the ects show in London and I'm still bloody awaiting delivery!

The different control systems were a revolution and the graphics were great as well. I ordered the full frame/seat and everything. Bastards :D
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 67

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby billysastard » 31 Aug 2012, 20:33

i remember the konix multi-system with some degree of awe, it was quite simply never going to work out, the games were utter rubbish, looking more like a spectrum or sam coupe than an amiga or st, the pale blue version of the speedking that came with it was somehow cheaper in feel than the red one they made for everything else (maybe not microswitched?) the much vaunted multicontroller (which contained the console and floppy drive) looked the part as a wheel, flight yoke or handlebars but in use it felt really cheap and tacky, worse still was it was only faced like a wheel on the front, the back was concave, think of a wii wheel with the back removed made from cheaper plastic but the worst part by a long way was also its main selling point the power chair, a motorized tilting / rotating chair that even with its tubular steel lower frame somehow always felt like it was on the verge of falling over, it was reasonably comfortable but the sound coming from the vacuum / lawnmower motor that powered overpowered any hope of hearing any audio from the system itself, made all the worse by the fact that they had announced a £199 price tag before thinking how to make it, you could buy optional things like a tv mount (for a 14" crt tv), a stereo speaker setup and even an arcade style canopy.

i remember being at its launch (at one of the pcw shows in the barbican) on the first trade day they had a full setup, by the end of the first day all the chairs were dead, on the second day they had one chair working and by the 3rd day which was the public launch all the chairs and all except 2 of the consoles had been removed.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby rbt2 » 31 Aug 2012, 21:11

shellster2 wrote:I per-ordered the konix multisystem down at the ects show in London and I'm still bloody awaiting delivery!

The different control systems were a revolution and the graphics were great as well. I ordered the full frame/seat and everything. Bastards :D

You nevah???
:lol:
I wanted this when I read about it.
The seat sold it to me.
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby shellster2 » 31 Aug 2012, 22:41

rbt2 wrote:
shellster2 wrote:I per-ordered the konix multisystem down at the ects show in London and I'm still bloody awaiting delivery!

You nevah???
:lol:
I wanted this when I read about it.
The seat sold it to me.

I sure did. Dragged my mother down to london to approve said purchase, her money not mine of course! All i've got these days is a rather loose quickshot 2 for my troubles. if ever there was a joystick preparing you for masturbation :)
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 67

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Next