Guild Wars 2 review: The final verdict

Your comments on our articles.

ArenaNet's magnificent MMO ganks genre cliches with smart design. Death to the grind

Reviewing an MMO is never easy. In a year Guild Wars 2 could change beyond recognition. It could be better, it could be worse. We've played it for over 50 hours across multiple characters, and it still doesn't feel like enough.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Guild Wars 2 review: The final verdict

Postby nologo » 31 Aug 2012, 10:27

good review - im enjoying the game. not sure mounts are needed with the ability to teleport to areas (although they would come in handy for exploring).
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Re: Guild Wars 2 review: The final verdict

Postby berelain » 31 Aug 2012, 10:40

How the hell can you review an MMO after less than a week (even including headstart)? You don't make any mention of what the instance dungeons or like, or even how the endgame plays- these are pretty major oversights for an MMO review, dontchathink??
The X Button - Press X to play http://www.thexbutton.co.uk
berelain 41

Postby AndyCVG » 31 Aug 2012, 10:50

berelain wrote:How the hell can you review an MMO after less than a week (even including headstart)? You don't make any mention of what the instance dungeons or like, or even how the endgame plays- these are pretty major oversights for an MMO review, dontchathink??

As I explained in literally the first two paragraphs, this review is based mostly on PVE, and the idea is to tell people whether the game is worth buying or not based on my first 50 hours of play.
AndyCVG

Postby berelain » 31 Aug 2012, 10:58

AndyCVG wrote:As I explained in literally the first two paragraphs, this review is based mostly on PVE, and the idea is to tell people whether the game is worth buying or not based on my first 50 hours of play.

Then why review it now?? To give potential purchasers a half-baked opinion of the game? Or just for hits - I'm suspecting the latter.

Meh, reminds me why I don't come here much any more.

Just to clarify though, I don't have any problem with the review text or what you actually wrote; it's a well-reasoned review. It just seems ridiculous that CVG is publishing a review now, rather than waiting until it's possible to give a fully-rounded verdict on the game - especially one claiming to be "The Final Verdict."
Last edited by berelain on 31 Aug 2012, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
The X Button - Press X to play http://www.thexbutton.co.uk
berelain 41

Postby AndyCVG » 31 Aug 2012, 11:02

berelain wrote:Then why review it now?? To give potential purchasers a half-baked opinion of the game? Or just for hits - I'm suspecting the latter.

Because people might be thinking about buying it to play over the weekend, and I want to tell them why they should. I just like the game, and I want other people to play it.
AndyCVG

Postby Rob Crossley » 31 Aug 2012, 11:06

berelain wrote:
AndyCVG wrote:As I explained in literally the first two paragraphs, this review is based mostly on PVE, and the idea is to tell people whether the game is worth buying or not based on my first 50 hours of play.

I don't have any problem with the review text or what you actually wrote; it's a well-reasoned review. It just seems ridiculous that CVG is publishing a review now, rather than waiting until it's possible to give a fully-rounded verdict on the game.

The game is out there and people are considering whether they should buy it. We have a duty to inform our audience whether a game is worth their investment. That's why this review exists.
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby StonecoldMC » 31 Aug 2012, 11:20

berelain wrote:

Then why review it now?? To give potential purchasers a half-baked opinion of the game? Or just for hits - I'm suspecting the latter.

Meh, reminds me why I don't come here much any more.

Just to clarify though, I don't have any problem with the review text or what you actually wrote; it's a well-reasoned review. It just seems ridiculous that CVG is publishing a review now, rather than waiting until it's possible to give a fully-rounded verdict on the game - especially one claiming to be "The Final Verdict."

I don't think you fully realise what your typing?

This is a massive release and I'm sure the Devs and Publisher are thankful that CVG are reviewing the Game (and as stated in the review, its based on the first 50 hours of play) now, whilst the Hype for the Game is at its peak rather than 2/3/4/5 months down the line when that Hype has dwindled.

Out of interest, do you think you would know if you liked a Game after 50 hours of play or do you think you would need another 250 hours to make a final decision?

If you disagree strongly with this review, why dont you come back in 3 months time and go into the Guild Wars 2 thread in PC Gaming to see what others think about it, then you can decide if you want to buy it?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby jmslovatt » 31 Aug 2012, 11:34

Rob Crossley wrote:
berelain wrote:
I don't have any problem with the review text or what you actually wrote; it's a well-reasoned review. It just seems ridiculous that CVG is publishing a review now, rather than waiting until it's possible to give a fully-rounded verdict on the game.

The game is out there and people are considering whether they should buy it. We have a duty to inform our audience whether a game is worth their investment. That's why this review exists.

I'm with CVG here, a review isn't about having a document that we can look back at and remember how good a game was, safe in the knowledge that we had meticulously finished every last aspect of the game before making judgement. The review score exists exclusively so people can judge whether a game is worth buying, and literally serves no other purpose. The game is out now and people appreciate knowing its worth. Good review in my opinion
jmslovatt 23

Postby brookie_2001 » 31 Aug 2012, 11:37

I agree you can't really give a final verdict on the game as it constantly evolves and i'm sure there are still areas unexplored in the game. I think just ignore the verdict and just read their opinion. I'd rather read someones experience with the game and what they think so far than nothing at all.
brookie_2001 62

Postby Xramirez » 31 Aug 2012, 13:01

What's with all the complaining? He literally states that he's only rating the PvE content and that the game could change easily in the coming weeks or months. Think about it, the game has an 8.9 and that's NOT counting PVP!!! Imagine the score with it? I foresee a 9.5 or higher because it's easily the most fun and competitive I've ever played and I've been playing MMOs for a long time now. I think this is a superb review. Can't wait to see the "FINAL final verdict" review lol. :lol:
Xramirez 1
New user

Postby Xramirez » 31 Aug 2012, 13:04

nologo wrote:good review - im enjoying the game. not sure mounts are needed with the ability to teleport to areas (although they would come in handy for exploring).

They're really not needed at all. Renown Hearts (quests) are reasonably close to each other and there's enough in between transit that'll keep the trek between them interesting like gathering nodes, points of interests, and more. Plus the waypoint system makes them near obsolete. So glad they added it.
Xramirez 1
New user

Postby Xramirez » 31 Aug 2012, 13:10

Rob Crossley wrote:The game is out there and people are considering whether they should buy it. We have a duty to inform our audience whether a game is worth their investment. That's why this review exists.

I'm new to this site and I think you all did a great job with the review. I think some are scared that an 8.9 might scare away potential buyers who don't read reviews and skip to the last page to see a mere number to determine whether they get the game or not. But in reality an 8.9 is really really good Considering you only reviewed the PvE.
Xramirez 1
New user

Postby MPH » 31 Aug 2012, 13:38

StonecoldMC wrote:Out of interest, do you think you would know if you liked a Game after 50 hours of play or do you think you would need another 250 hours to make a final decision?

Indeed. 50 hours is a pretty damn good indication, especially given the fact that this game has no subscription. I think this guy is just arguing for the sake of it.
MPH 54

Postby corkscru74 » 31 Aug 2012, 13:46

berelain wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you berelain, CVG should wait until they've completed an MMO before reviewing it....wait, what? You can't complete MMOs? Ok, well the author totally should have pointed out they were reviewing the game from a limited amount of time with it....oh, he did that?

Well, thanks for dropping by and blessing us with your brief presence by reading an article's title, not reading its content and deciding your own ignorance was more than enough to write a critique for the professional author. Dillhole.
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby Mega » 31 Aug 2012, 13:58

GW2 Forums need to come online already
Mega 2

Next