to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Give the OnLive team a chance', says departing CEO

Your comments on our articles.

Steve Perlman asks fans to stick it out

Outgoing OnLive founder Steve Perlman has asked users to "give the OnLive team a chance to regroup and get rolling again"... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'Give the OnLive team a chance', says departing CEO

Postby EvilWaterman » 29 Aug 2012, 10:38

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/28/3274739/onlive-report

The above link is a very interesting read and may change your opinion on Steve Perlman
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Re: 'Give the OnLive team a chance', says departing CEO

Postby The_KFD_Case » 29 Aug 2012, 11:10

No. The business model sucks from a customer control point-of-view. Convenience is well and good, but when it reaches the point that it no longer empowers you, but actually undermines you, that's when it's time to get off the bus and let it careen off into a ravine on its own.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Neohamster » 29 Aug 2012, 11:44

The_KFD_Case wrote:No. The business model sucks from a customer control point-of-view. Convenience is well and good, but when it reaches the point that it no longer empowers you, but actually undermines you, that's when it's time to get off the bus and let it careen off into a ravine on its own.

What's undermining about being able to view and play my games across multiple platforms without having to re-buy? OnLive lets me play on my TV as an alternative to my '360; it's allowed me to keep my ageing work laptop going a little longer as a gaming platform, and it lets me play the same games from my PlayPack on my Android phone when I'm in bed and I want to play some Defense Grid before sleepytime.

I'd say that's pretty empowering.

For me, their biggest mistake was in trying to sell OnLive as a platform for "purchasing" games. I'm not naive enough to think I own the content I've paid for, but I'm also not insecure enough to worry that the content I've rented might disappear someday; however, it does make me reluctant to put down real money for full-priced games.

What they should have offered is proper tiered-pricing models, like Sky's or Virgin's TV packages. I actually think Sky's model might be the most appropriate; divide games into loosely genre-linked categories and make them available as a DIY PlayPack bundle. Have a basic package for £5 a month, £7 a month or whatever, and then allow people to add premium content for a fixed monthly fee. Scrap the full-priced-game ownership model and give people more varied ways to access more content at reasonable prices. I'd happily pay £20 a month for unlimited access to new top-tier games. I could be persuaded to part with more, but I guess that's where they'd have to bring in more market research. I don't know how typical my response to that kind of pricing structure would be.
Neohamster 46

Postby Ali_ » 29 Aug 2012, 11:48

Onlive is a tremendously clever idea, 5 years ahead of it's time. Certainly, in the UK the broadband network is atrociously slow and pretty much incapable of supporting the streaming required.
Ali_ 56

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Aug 2012, 12:12

Think I'll stick to letting you sink.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby ted1138 » 29 Aug 2012, 12:26

The_KFD_Case wrote:No. The business model sucks from a customer control point-of-view. Convenience is well and good, but when it reaches the point that it no longer empowers you, but actually undermines you, that's when it's time to get off the bus and let it careen off into a ravine on its own.

You really do talk the biggest load of sh!t KFD. Maybe you should stay on the special bus, and give the rest of us a break... :roll:
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Aug 2012, 12:36

ted1138 wrote:

You really do talk the biggest load of sh!t KFD. Maybe you should stay on the special bus, and give the rest of us a break... :roll:

Actually he talks a lot of sense and like somebody that doesn't like to have his rights taken away. Somebody that likes to be in control over what they own/use and not being dictated. I could go on and on about why he talks sense but I've said what I've needed to say numerous times. If people feel they enjoy spending lots of money on rentals for an inferior platform that produces YouTube none HD images with latency then good for them.

Personally I think people who choose the 'purchase' option is quite the mug.

I'd hate to be that guy that only has Onlive as a gaming platform and invested loads of money on games that they'll no longer have access to at some point which is inevitable.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby Sangor » 29 Aug 2012, 12:55

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:Think I'll stick to letting you sink.

Amen
Costa Panayi
Sangor 50

Postby richomack360 » 29 Aug 2012, 13:19

ted1138 wrote:

He is not talking rubbish - if you spent "x" on purchasing games from this service, only for them to disappear who would you speak to in order to get your purchases back ? Am sure you could go round your mates house to play his physical copies I guess ?

PS - ask the employees who spent their own money on OnLive stock how much their purchases are worth now.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Aug 2012, 13:27

EvilWaterman wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/28/3274739/onlive-report

The above link is a very interesting read and may change your opinion on Steve Perlman

Very good article that, shame CVG couldn't put together anything half as interesting. Just shows how bad Onlive really was doing and how much of a cock Perlman is.
Most interesting is how the staff admit there just isn't a decent enough business model there at all.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Postby The_KFD_Case » 29 Aug 2012, 15:31

Neohamster wrote:

What's undermining about being able to view and play my games across multiple platforms without having to re-buy? OnLive lets me play on my TV as an alternative to my '360; it's allowed me to keep my ageing work laptop going a little longer as a gaming platform, and it lets me play the same games from my PlayPack on my Android phone when I'm in bed and I want to play some Defense Grid before sleepytime.

I'd say that's pretty empowering.

(snip)

Then you just don't get it, and quite frankly if you, or anyone else for that matter, can't fathom the problematic issues and how they undermine the customer by having a system that renders the customer entirely reliant upon a third parties whom they can exercise little-to-no-control over and have nothing to show for their money should something go wrong (point in case: the spectacular collapse of OnLive), then there seems little point in my expending further effort on trying to enlighten you. You sail on to the shoals at your own doing and I don't care enough to try and prevent you; you've made your bed, now you get to lie in it. Just don't go dragging those of us who do not find this so-called "future" of gaming so endearing along with your mad scheme.
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The_KFD_Case » 29 Aug 2012, 15:32

ted1138 wrote:

After you.
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby The_KFD_Case » 29 Aug 2012, 15:34

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:
ted1138 wrote:

Actually he talks a lot of sense and like somebody that doesn't like to have his rights taken away. Somebody that likes to be in control over what they own/use and not being dictated. I could go on and on about why he talks sense but I've said what I've needed to say numerous times. If people feel they enjoy spending lots of money on rentals for an inferior platform that produces YouTube none HD images with latency then good for them.

Personally I think people who choose the 'purchase' option is quite the mug.

I'd hate to be that guy that only has Onlive as a gaming platform and invested loads of money on games that they'll no longer have access to at some point which is inevitable.

Exactly.
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Padua » 29 Aug 2012, 18:42

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:
EvilWaterman wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/28/3274739/onlive-report

Very good article that, shame CVG couldn't put together anything half as interesting. Just shows how bad Onlive really was doing and how much of a cock Perlman is. Most interesting is how the staff admit there just isn't a decent enough business model there at all.

Yeah it was a great article. As a fan of Onlive I am utterly disgusted by the man :|
America is definitely a harsh place to work in the start up tech industries. You can either get rich quick or poor quicker :cry:

HOWEVER : I still think Onlive is relevant today for a lot of potential customers. I have had great experiences with it :|
Although the business model Perlman adopted was terrible - it could be replaced with a better one now that arrogant S.O.B has left the building.

For a start : I would dearly love to see EA being welcomed back on board again. Virtualisation has moved on a lot too - a new canny board could still work wonders.

Mmmmgrolsch wrote:Personally I think people who choose the 'purchase' option is quite the mug.

Speaking as one of these "mugs" :mrgreen: - in my defence I'd say I always thought of 'purchase' more as 'rent' anyway.
I have zero interest in collecting games. I am now an even greater fan of not having to even download/patch :lol: I just enjoy finishing a game and moving on. I also never purchased a game on Onlive for more than what I could get it for at a used-game shop. I usually paid : between £1 - £15 for games. There were so many sales and promotions that it often beat used-game prices. The Playpack I still subscribe to monthly gives me a huge library of games - just the same as my LoveFilm subscription gives me a huge library of movies.

... which reminds me - I really ought to start on Mafia II sooner rather than later :P
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 29 Aug 2012, 23:24

Padua wrote:
Speaking as one of these "mugs" :mrgreen: - in my defence I'd say I always thought of 'purchase' more as 'rent' anyway.
I have zero interest in collecting games. I am now an even greater fan of not having to even download/patch :lol: I just enjoy finishing a game and moving on. I also never purchased a game on Onlive for more than what I could get it for at a used-game shop. I usually paid : between £1 - £15 for games. There were so many sales and promotions that it often beat used-game prices. The Playpack I still subscribe to monthly gives me a huge library of games - just the same as my LoveFilm subscription gives me a huge library of movies.

... which reminds me - I really ought to start on Mafia II sooner rather than later :P

Fair enough fella, at least you know what you're buying into and I'm glad its a good platform for you. I don't mind that people like yourself use it, I just hate those that claim it to be the best platform and that it should be how we all buy our games.
Mmmmgrolsch 74