to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Spec Ops: The Line lead designer: multiplayer "an overall fa

Your comments on our articles.

Lead designer not happy with the multiplayer component

These days it seems every game needs to have multiplayer whether it enhances the game or not. Spec Ops: The Line lead designer Cory Davis believes multiplayer was unnecessary for Spec Ops and is far from happy with the result.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 29 Aug 2012, 08:47

Very refreshing to hear this - but we all knew publishers were forcing devs to shoe horn in MP, but, you get into bed with the devil and you should expect a red hot poker up the jacksie
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby illage2 » 29 Aug 2012, 08:49

I agree fully with him. I tried the Multiplayer, it felt tacked on and I disconnected in the very first game I had. It just goes to show that a multiplayer mode ins't needed in every game out there.
Last edited by illage2 on 29 Aug 2012, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: Spec Ops: The Line lead designer: multiplayer "an overal

Postby El Mag » 29 Aug 2012, 08:52

Yep.

You know you're in trouble when you struggle to find enough people playing deathmatch. Then trying again a day later and running into a couple of players that were in the match the day before.

That was my experience from the multiplayer side.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby 360_Fan » 29 Aug 2012, 08:55

Anyone tried the co op yet?
360_Fan 61

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 29 Aug 2012, 08:58

I totally agree. It's a pointless waste of disc space that could of been used for more of the glorious singleplayer. It's a travesty that its not up for a million different rewards for the SP. The best military shooter i've ever played. Make CoD look like it was written by a bunch of five year olds that had eaten too many red sweets and spent the last 2 days watching nothing but the a team and air wolf.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Ali_ » 29 Aug 2012, 09:25

If including it has shortened the SP, I'm against it. If it's just an extra above and beyond what we would have had anyway, I'm fine with it. I've played a bit of it and it's nothing like CoD. It's much closer to GRAW2 in mechanics and tone. It's not great but it passes time and makes a change from the big boys, especially as GR:FS managed to be worse than it's predecessors. I'll pop in an play it from time to time. Non essential, but nowhere near as bad as he makes out (he obviously never played Far Cry 2's multiplayer for a start!).
Ali_ 57

Postby TheLastDodo » 29 Aug 2012, 09:32

Good man and I hope nothing untoward happens to him after saying this.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Aug 2012, 09:36

I'm with Ali on that, if the single player remains as they wanted it then there's nowt wrong really. Maybe something a bit more unique though would be nice instead of deathmatch.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby StonecoldMC » 29 Aug 2012, 09:42

Completed it last night and thought it was a really fantastic Single Player Campaign.

Not sure Id fancy the MP but a Game of Co Op could fit in really well.

Hope the Devs arent too disheartened, they made a really good Game, next focus on making the SP as brilliant as you can and leave the MP for the other guys to do.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Paranoimia » 29 Aug 2012, 10:27

I completed the game, including a play-through on FUBAR difficulty for the Platinum trophy.

Loved the single-player, but never even looked at the multi-player. You knew it was an afterthought though, because there wasn't a single trophy for anything relating to it. That's not a complaint though, and it's a compliment... I hate online trophies for such games as they usually always require some forms of mind-numbing grinding. Give me a solid single-player with a decent story over multi-player any day.
Paranoimia 32

Xbox Live: Paranoimia UK
PSN ID: Paranoimia

Postby appyday » 29 Aug 2012, 13:35

Cory Davis take a bow. All other devs take note. Aside from growing an epic beard which deserves its own applause you contributed to one of the best campaigns this year, possibly the best military focused campaign i have ever played.

The premise of the MP was actually quite good with the two warring factions but its execution was, for me, clunky and slow.

Kudos for speaking out.
appyday 40

PSN ID: appyday

Postby TehSlenderMan » 29 Aug 2012, 16:03

LOL, wow, this is a little harsh isn't it? I mean, it was bad, but for the lead designer to go out saying this. Not the kind of guy i'd want making my game.
Have a Steam, Origin(Sadly) and Battle.net Account.
Steam: Darksiders 2, All CoDs, Saints Row 3, CSS, DoD:s, Killing Floor, DX:HR, CS:GO, many more.
Origin: Battlefield 3, Syndicate, and Mass Effect 3.
Battle.net: Diablo 2 LoD, StarCraft 2, and Diablo 3.
TehSlenderMan 31

Xbox Live: TehSlenderrMan
Steam: Teh Slender Man
Battle.net: SlenderMan#1735

Postby JD_Method » 29 Aug 2012, 16:41

360_Fan wrote:Anyone tried the co op yet?

Yeah. It's fairly decent, but pretty damn short. You can finish all the co-op maps in an hour or less, depending on the difficulty. Can't really complain as it's free though.

TehSlenderMan wrote:LOL, wow, this is a little harsh isn't it? I mean, it was bad, but for the lead designer to go out saying this. Not the kind of guy i'd want making my game.

You wouldn't want him to make your game because he doesn't enjoy being forced to work on a pointless endeavour?

He's against the multiplayer because he and the rest of the team were pressured to include it in the game at the detriment to the overall product, and it undermines what the single-player was trying to say.
JD_Method 58