to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Five essential PSone classics for your Vita

Your comments on our articles.

Daily Digest: CVG hand-picks the best from the new rush of games

Today Sony released PS Vita firmware 1.80, bringing a swath of new changes to the handheld including UI tweaks, better music playlist support, rear-touch functionality for the web browser, an interesting Cross Controller function and more.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Five essential PSone classics for your Vita

Postby sbradley88 » 28 Aug 2012, 16:47

Is any one else having trouble getting the rear touchpad to be responsive enough with MGS? Have to press it multiple times to register, like its lagging.
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Re: Five essential PSone classics for your Vita

Postby AJDarkstar » 28 Aug 2012, 17:07

sbradley88 wrote:Is any one else having trouble getting the rear touchpad to be responsive enough with MGS? Have to press it multiple times to register, like its lagging.

You've piqued my curiosity... what functionality does the rear touchpad bring to MGS? Also, how do you defeat Psycho Mantis without using a second controller? And have Sony taken out the manual disc-swap mechanic?
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby BeansOnToast » 28 Aug 2012, 17:09

Whilst there are plenty of decent old classic PS1 games that are worth a replay, I can't help but think it's a bit like paying all that money for a Sky subscription and then watching repeats of Only Fools and Horses on Gold.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby BOYD1981 » 28 Aug 2012, 17:12

It follows Raziel, former lieutenant of the vampire lord Kain, who is murdered when he leapfrogs his master's evolution by sprouting wings. Many years later he is revived by an elder god as a wraith like figure and sent to exact his revenge.

He wasn't murdered, his wings were torn by Kain and then he was cast into the Abyss, and the Elder God found him.
BOYD1981 47

Postby sbradley88 » 28 Aug 2012, 17:30

AJDarkstar wrote:
sbradley88 wrote:Is any one else having trouble getting the rear touchpad to be responsive enough with MGS? Have to press it multiple times to register, like its lagging.

You've piqued my curiosity... what functionality does the rear touchpad bring to MGS? Also, how do you defeat Psycho Mantis without using a second controller? And have Sony taken out the manual disc-swap mechanic?

The only functionality the rear touch pad brings is a replacement for the L2/R2 buttons, which I imagine will be the case on ALL the ps1/2 games played on it

With Psycho, its similar to how you'd play the digital copy on the PS3, you can allocate controllers, so just 'switch' to cont. 2 and play on, then after the fight you have to change back or wont let you move.

The disc swap is also as it is in the digital copy, in that when you reach the part requiring you to swap discs, you simply open up the vita menu and select 'swap discs'
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby Samurai-Don » 28 Aug 2012, 17:40

BeansOnToast wrote:Whilst there are plenty of decent old classic PS1 games that are worth a replay, I can't help but think it's a bit like paying all that money for a Sky subscription and then watching repeats of Only Fools and Horses on Gold.

Yeah I know what you mean.

I mean I can see the advantage of buy the PS1 game from the PSN store, cheaper price and the ability to play on PSP, PS3 and now the Vita, but paying for a vita just to do that does seem a bit pointless.
Samurai-Don 21

Postby budge » 28 Aug 2012, 18:02

Good choices, CVG. Five cracking classics right there, i've got 3 of them already on my PSP. :)
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby alan666 » 28 Aug 2012, 18:32

Why do the likes of Sony & Nintendo thing people with the latest system want to play old games, i do not need to spend £200 on a Vita to play some old PSone games, i will just use my PSone :)
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby KrisaimUK » 28 Aug 2012, 19:35

Hmmm Silent Hill anyone? I'm now 41, Silent Hill on psone is still the only game that I have had to stop playing as it freaked me out. I remember my wife creeping up behind me and screaming. I jumped out of my skin. Sooo SH is a must.
The rear touch works fine in the game.
KrisaimUK 32

Postby KrisaimUK » 28 Aug 2012, 19:41

alan666 wrote:Why do the likes of Sony & Nintendo thing people with the latest system want to play old games, i do not need to spend £200 on a Vita to play some old PSone games, i will just use my PSone :)

Er some people buy that £200 system just to wait for a hack so they can play rubbish 8 bit games. The way of the world. They are games on psone that some developers try to copy but fail even today. At the end of the day I have a good list free from ps pluss to play on vita, can you take your psone on the train with you?
KrisaimUK 32

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 28 Aug 2012, 20:17

Just completed MGS on the Vita about half an hour ago. Tried to get my american copy of RE3 on it but because of the content origin, it wouldn't let me transfer it, as it's from a 'different user'. Sucks but aww well, what ya gonna do. Looking forward to re-playing Toy Story 2 haha. Loved that game as a child :D
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby Samurai-Don » 28 Aug 2012, 20:20

alan666 wrote:Why do the likes of Sony & Nintendo thing people with the latest system want to play old games, i do not need to spend £200 on a Vita to play some old PSone games, i will just use my PSone :)

For convenient since one would have to dust off the old system and plug it in when the latest system can play thus increasing it library.

The other reason is because some people missed out on the chance to buy them when it was originally released due being unaware of the game, like me, or it didn't get released in your region.
Samurai-Don 21

Postby jadehill2001 » 28 Aug 2012, 20:24

Silent Hill is defo worth playing. It's a classic to this day. I'm surprised it's not in this list of 5
jadehill2001 34

Postby FatChickThriller » 28 Aug 2012, 23:16

If there was a wide range of good new games to play on the Vita then we wouldn't need to be lusting for PS1 Originals would we if there was something to from this gen that was as engaging as a Final Fantasy 7 or a Crash bandicoot then we the gaming public would be clamouring for that so all this talk about why a majority of gamers are more interested in PS1 games as opposed to PS Vita games speaks for it's self. The whole Playstation brand has gone to s**t as opposed to being the s**t ! They can't do online properly don't have any noteworthy exclusives anymore or anything I'm not trying to bait the fanboys but anyone can see that Playstation isn't the biggest bully in the playground anymore and the fact that Vita Owners like myself are more interested in PSP games as opposed to Vita games is a damning indication that Sony need to pull their socks up, Big Time. They have the most powerful hardware in both home and portable console markets but yet they are lagging in sales in 2 of the 3 main markets that they operate in. The figures speak for themselves. Shape up or ship out Sony or you will become the new SEGA !
FatChickThriller 34

Postby Sleepaphobic » 28 Aug 2012, 23:46

Parasites Eve maaaaaaaaaan.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Next