to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dragon Age 3: What we want to see

Your comments on our articles.

This is our list, but what do YOU want to see?

Although Dragon Age 3 hasn't been officially announced a third entry in BioWare's high-fantasy RPG series a dead cert.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dragon Age 3: What we want to see

Postby rhyfel » 26 Aug 2012, 19:20

what we want to see is not a repeat of the second dragon age origins, make it like the first and you,ll be most of the way there.
rhyfel 36

Re: Dragon Age 3: What we want to see

Postby XFinalFateX » 26 Aug 2012, 19:28

PC exclusive DA3? A little douchey there CVG.
XFinalFateX 18

PSN ID: XFinal_FateX

Postby El Mag » 26 Aug 2012, 19:43

More Merrill.

One of the few things to come out of the second game unscathed.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Gash Gardner » 27 Aug 2012, 04:26

I can pretty much guarantee it wont be open world and the combat will remain flashy and more action based than tactical because EA knows thats what will appeal to the majority, and hopefully they wont make us wait 4 months to download some slideshows this time
Gash Gardner 43

Postby courier » 27 Aug 2012, 09:53

New and Improved Formula.

Bioware games have had 4 main story/hubworlds for absolutely ages. I noticed around the time of ME 1. Thought it was just me. Not fully checked ME3, won't be playing DA 2, but i think this holds true from KOTOR to ME 2.
Now they know that we know.
courier 40

Postby drunkadin » 27 Aug 2012, 10:51

The issue wasn't a lack of open world...it was that the world they constructed was just lazy (in DA2). They went from a varied game environment with new things to discover, where each setting was completely different and related to the quest and to the people who lived there...to one giant tile set copypastad for 30 hours. You reached a point around the 5-10 hour mark where you say...wait a minute...at this point the game's over, I've seen everything, and now they're just coming up with thinly veiled excuses to pad out the gameplay by sending me back to these places on fetch quests. It was about the 20 hour mark where I finally gave up hope that I was going to leave Kirkwall...that I'd be moving on in the quest to some other place that would change the adventure and give me some new thing to see.

As for improving the the combat, that's fine. It's great really. But dumbing it down and plastering it over with special effects doesn't do it any service. Half of what old-school rpgers LIKE is delving into character creation, and building a unique skillset skill by skill - with combat evolving in the process.

Basically, if I'm going to spend over 30 hours (you could spend 60 in DA:O, and another 20 in the expansion, if you really wanted to see and absorb everything) on a game, I want that care in development. They could go back and put DA3 in the game engine of the first game, and it would be fine...as long as the actual depth of the game...the TEXTURE...remained intact. That's the loss in becoming a glitzy studio with a colossus like EA breathing down your neck. Every metric the management uses to judge you is part of this contrived narrative of fitting into their product-tested and brainstormed views on "where gaming's going" and the bottom line. But artists can't work like that. And gamers aren't a sterile, blind consumer base you can rationalize in a vacuum. They see what you do, and how you change, and they mull over your product. Being real and trying to come up with a quality product goes a long way...longer than slightly higher graphical polish, or becoming more similar to some other game.

I think this conversation is probably lost on a lot of younger gamers who didn't grow to love Bioware for the same reasons I did. The progression of Baldur's Gate games, and the...really amazing transition of that style of game to 3d with DA:O. They just took all the complexities of the system they had...and on just about every single category, they improved and deepened it...all while making everything look great in 3d. But it's a loss to the industry that companies like Bioware and properties like Dragon Age get stripped down like this. And it's heartbreaking to me, even with the few successes (both in the RPG genre and elsewhere) that materialize.
drunkadin 38

Postby diblob » 27 Aug 2012, 13:44

One thing I can guarantee, and that is that I will not be buying DA3 at launch. I made that mistake with DA2 and it was only later I found out how pathetic it was. I'll sit back and wait to see a comprehensive amount of reviews and discussion on the game before I make my decision to purchase.

Fool me once Bioware, Shame on you, Fool me twice, Shame on me.
diblob 31

Postby The_KFD_Case » 27 Aug 2012, 22:11

@drunkadin: You phrased it very well indeed, Drunkadin. BioWare used to be my favourite developer - it could practically do no wrong. At first I was apprehensive about their acquisition by EA, yet figured that it was a done deal and that with the two founders of BioWare becoming vice-presidents at EA, that BioWare might remain true to its past. I am not going to claim that EA alone is responsible for BioWare's fall from grace (it seems to me that some of BioWare's own staff, notably at least one of the two founders, bear a significant part of the responsibility), yet within two years of being acquired by EA, BioWare is all but unrecognizable to me and I loathe their games these days. To me, they reached their zenith in story telling with Baldur's Gate II (with or without the "Throne of Bhaal" expansion pack).

@diblob: I'm with you. I categorically refuse to pre-order or purchase DA3 on release day after the dire disappointment that was DA2. (And I was excited for DA2's release back in the day.) The last BioWare game I purchased was ME3 (which I still haven't played at all) and before that game released I had already reached the conclusion that BioWare and I would be parting ways in our business relationship. There is nothing they have to offer currently that I'm aware of, that registers even the slightest of interest to me.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby PMIKE5 » 27 Aug 2012, 23:07

El Mag wrote:More Merrill.

One of the few things to come out of the second game unscathed.

AGREED!
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46

Postby J_2000 » 27 Aug 2012, 23:18

diblob wrote:One thing I can guarantee, and that is that I will not be buying DA3 at launch. I made that mistake with DA2 and it was only later I found out how pathetic it was. I'll sit back and wait to see a comprehensive amount of reviews and discussion on the game before I make my decision to purchase.

Fool me once Bioware, Shame on you, Fool me twice, Shame on me.

I agree completely here. I poured 45 hours into Dragon Age 1 and all it's expansions and loved it all.
it took me 14 hours to beat the absolute joke that is Dragon Age 2 and I had zero desire to invest in any of the expansions.

Bioware to me have become a complete sham of a game developer, caring more about getting a game out the door and getting consumers money rather than putting the time, effort and love they used to put into their games.
J_2000 47

Postby rmorgan779 » 28 Aug 2012, 07:47

they should make dao2 and just pretend da2 didnt ever happen as for me it must go back to what the first game was if i hear the phrase "when you push a button we want something amazing to happen" i wont touch it with a barge poll it really did let its loyal followers down and tryed to make complete fools out of them i dont no if i can ever forgive.
rmorgan779 30

Xbox Live: rmorgan779
PSN ID: azreal779

Postby mattdark » 28 Aug 2012, 10:58

I thought the characters were pretty good in DA2, maybe a little odd that most of them were Bi and could be romanced by either male or female Hawke.

Problem I found was you didnt seem to spend as much time with them. Partially due to the shorter time of the Game, also down to the lack of a camp or area where your whole party gathered (Which meant constantly running all over kirkwall to chat to your favourite characters)

Then there was the fact that some interesting characters were with you for a relativly short time. Look at Tallis from the 'Mark of the Assassin' DLC, she was a great little character, who they put alot of time into, but as soon as you were done with the DLC, that was it, she just left and was never heard from again. I would have liked to have her stay in the party as a bonus for the work you did...
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 46

PSN ID: MattDark86

Postby incrediblebulk » 28 Aug 2012, 16:26

the thing that didn't make any sense in DA2 was no matter what you did to try and help the mages they always turned out to be blood mages or raged out and became demons, for a playthrough where i was trying to be on there side they didn't help one bit in the end i just gave up and just killed any mages anytime they appeared. for a game with 2 different "factions" leading up to a ending that you hope would actually change depending on how you have played it out. i was highly disastified to see the leader of the mages suddenly turn into a great unclean one just because he had a panic attack and then have to fight the templars as well. very bad story telling that i hope will not continue into DA3.
incrediblebulk 17

Postby DireWolfHero » 14 Sep 2012, 18:52

PLEASE IGNORE MY SPELLING ITS HORRIBLE.

i really cant wait for DA:3 to come out and i swear to god if its anything like the DA:2 i will be getting sent back to the shop to get my money back DA:2 was so boring same place over and over again there was nothing new to the game apart from the action better than the DA:1 but DA:1 was just right you add the fighting style from DA:2 to DA:1 it then becomes so much better and to be fairly honest they should have stuck to the blight instead of something that had pretty much feck all to do with the blight i mean in DA:2 you got to fight with a total of maybe 100 - 150 creatures from the blight it was all about the arashock in the DA:2 so im hoping for the DA:3 its a open world with loads of new places to explore and a new blight with new creatures new racies new weapones and shields and i kide of hope the make it a bit like the ps1, psp and wii game moster hunter freedom where you get to get bone, ore, scales and stuff to create your wepones and armour and sheild i love Dragon Age its a fantastic game i spent hours on that game and never got bored all diffrent kinds of charactors completed with them all amazing game and i cant wait for the thrid one.
DireWolfHero 1
New user

Postby DireWolfHero » 14 Sep 2012, 18:58

rmorgan779 wrote:they should make dao2 and just pretend da2 didnt ever happen as for me it must go back to what the first game was if i hear the phrase "when you push a button we want something amazing to happen" i wont touch it with a barge poll it really did let its loyal followers down and tryed to make complete fools out of them i dont no if i can ever forgive.

Thats Agreed by almost every fan i hated DA:2 it was a god aweful game that shouldnt have been made.
DireWolfHero 1
New user