to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New Super Mario Bros U: Fresh new thrills?

Your comments on our articles.

It's pretty good, it stars you-know-who and it's on Wii U - but is this really anything new?

Good job Nintendo thought to put the word "New" in the title of New Super Mario Bros U, because otherwise we might mistake it for one of the least original ideas they've come up with in years.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New Super Mario Bros U: Fresh new thrills?

Postby alan666 » 26 Aug 2012, 17:25

So it's just another regular update of a Mario game on a new Nintendo console *yawn* how about something new ?

Is this 3D enabled like New Super Mario Land 2 is on the 3DS ?
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
PSN ID: B1G_A1AN
Wii Code: Wii U + B1G_A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Re: New Super Mario Bros U: Fresh new thrills?

Postby ilovenewtech » 26 Aug 2012, 18:59

As awesome as Nintendo is I cant tell if I'm looking at screens from the Wii, 3DS or Wii U.

Awesome cake anyone!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 54

Postby wokers992 » 27 Aug 2012, 01:01

They need to stop making these New Super Mario games and make a true successor to the Galaxy games ( a sequel to 3d land would be awesome to) . At least this version is trying to distinguish itself from the 3DS, wii and DS one in terms of locations and back drops. Asides from that it doesn't play that different and the gamepad feature seems like an afterthought compared to Legends. Mario best watch his back cause Rayman may just beat him at his own game. I'll play this game when its out but Im not holding my breath for this one and i really hope Nintendo stop milking the s**t out of Mario cause his games used to events that happened once every few years but now they are adopting a COD method which isn't terrible but is risking giving this franchise fatigue.
wokers992 29

Postby DonnyKD » 27 Aug 2012, 03:59

alan666 wrote:So it's just another regular update of a Mario game on a new Nintendo console *yawn* how about something new ?

The sheer stupidity you s**t out is staggering.

Pathetic troll attempt is poor.

wokers992 wrote:i really hope Nintendo stop milking the s**t out of Mario

Do you know what the f**k "milk" means? Because you little kids seem to not know.

And they should make a f**king NSMB sequels but 4,000 Galaxy sequels is OK? Yeah, f**k logic.

And I like how people are sucking Rayman so much even though it has less changes than NSMBU does to NSMBW.
DonnyKD 20

Postby Gash Gardner » 27 Aug 2012, 04:31

Why you so mad tho
Gash Gardner 43

Postby wokers992 » 27 Aug 2012, 08:04

DonnyKD wrote:Do you know what the f**k "milk" means? Because you little kids seem to not know.

And they should make a f**king NSMB sequels but 4,000 Galaxy sequels is OK? Yeah, f**k logic.

And I like how people are sucking Rayman so much even though it has less changes than NSMBU does to NSMBW.

FYI 'milk' is term to describing what the people at nintendo do with the New super Mario series. Its a cash cow and thats a product or asset that, once acquired will produce consistent cash flow over its lifespan. I don't hate these games but i love to see these make a geunine effort with it NSMB 2 and U just looks like a quick way to cash in.

I rather see a galaxy sequel because it was a lot better and time was taken into creating it and not rushed to make a quick buck and it stands toe to toe with the likes of Mario bros 3 something these NSMB can't do. I would actually prefer a new 3d Mario game and if they made another sequel to galaxy it will be a million times better than this game theyre about to put out because they actually put effort. On the topic of Rayman, Ubisoft have clearly shown That Rayman Legends is better sequel because again it uses the Wii U features better. the level designs are better and it looks like its gonna boast a better multiplayer experience. So stop being a stupid troll
wokers992 29

Postby Serebii » 27 Aug 2012, 08:28

Nintendo create 4 2D Mario games in six years...clearly milking -_-
Serebii 41

Postby aj101 » 27 Aug 2012, 09:41

While I agree it's not great that Nintendo isn't necessarily innovating with this title I can say that NSMB on Wii with one or three mates was as much fun as I had on any console this generation. If it's more of the same with the Wii U title I'm not complaining.

Looking forward to it!
aj101 51

Postby laminated0 » 27 Aug 2012, 10:02

I actually think it looks pretty good. ( And the cape in super mario world was not difficult to use and you could fly through whole levels with it!). No doubt Nintendo will bring out a 3D mario on this console, but that one is the one they will take their time with and make it outstanding. This game will help to bring in consumers and get people to buy their new console as well as catering to the ones who have onlmy ever played the new super mario variations of mario. Also it helps beef up the launch library and they want to get the console out before sony and microsofts new ones.

I prefer the old mario games over the new super mario games to be honest (world being my favourite of all time) but I think if they push up the nintendo magic this could be an excellent game.

As for rayman, competition is always good esp if the competition is actually good, it makes the good better and the best great :).
laminated0 36

Xbox Live: Jon Ryo

Postby alan666 » 27 Aug 2012, 10:42

DonnyKD wrote:
alan666 wrote:So it's just another regular update of a Mario game on a new Nintendo console *yawn* how about something new ?

Do you know what the f**k "milk" means? Because you little kids seem to not know.

:lol:

You're the one trolling, child.

Are you saying you love playing the same Mario game over & over again ?

FYI i don't have a Rayman game on any system, never have.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
PSN ID: B1G_A1AN
Wii Code: Wii U + B1G_A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby lordirongut » 27 Aug 2012, 11:08

Is there anything in these pictures being 720p? Is that the native res or is that just what you guys uploaded them in?
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 65

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby FixBeatGames » 27 Aug 2012, 11:12

DonnyKD wrote:

LOL WOW! if you did not personally create this game after devoting 2 years to making it, i have no idea why you are so angry? :lol:

my opinion, we need a true sequel to mario 64. sunshine was crap, galaxy was good but in a different way, and these 2d games could be put together by a team in a month = not worth full price.

NINTENDO, GIVE US A TRUE SEQUEL TO MARIO 64 AND I WILL EVEN BUY A WII U
FixBeatGames 41

Postby Old McGroin » 27 Aug 2012, 12:22

FixBeatGames wrote:[ opinion, we need a true sequel to mario 64. sunshine was crap, galaxy was good but in a different way, and these 2d games could be put together by a team in a month = not worth full price.

NINTENDO, GIVE US A TRUE SEQUEL TO MARIO 64 AND I WILL EVEN BUY A WII U

This^^

Nintendo, stop being so Goddamn lazy and blow us away with a sequel to Mario 64. A sequel to Mario 64 = instant Wii U purchase for me.
Old McGroin 33

Postby Balladeer » 27 Aug 2012, 16:39

A sequel to Mario 64 would have its benefits and drawbacks. On the plus side, it'd be a sequel to the best game ever made (in my humble opinion). On the minus side, I'd get some odd looks from the neighbours when I come back from the shop holding a game box and spontaneously orgasming.

As for NSMBU, I'm enjoying NSMB2 even though it's nothing special, and this one looks better. Here's hoping the multiplayer aspect doesn't result in a lack of focus, given that I'll probably play it through on my own anyway.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby stealth » 28 Aug 2012, 00:03

this article was terrible and generalized when it suited it and ignored things all the same

how about the fact all the backgrounds are brand new?

how about the fact the world map is 1 big world?
stealth 47

Next