to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Such heroic nonsense

Your comments on our articles.

One shall rise, many shall fall in the best Transformers game to date

When High Moon Studios told CVG a few months back that it was hoping for an 'Arkham Asylum-like reception' to its origins story Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, it was a warning shot that the Californian studio felt ready to mingle with the big boys of games development. Sure enough, this quasi-sequel to 2010's War For Cybertron is a bolder and brassier game, with an eye for cinematic bombast.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Such heroic nonsense

Postby XFinalFateX » 24 Aug 2012, 22:38

CVG. Why so harsh on games lately? This game is better than most of the half done s**t this year. Deserves WAY more than a 7. whatever the hell.
XFinalFateX 18

PSN ID: XFinal_FateX

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Such heroic nonsense

Postby veato » 25 Aug 2012, 07:31

I agree it's too easy to die. As Optimus Prime I would expect to be able to run up to a Decepticon grunt and melee his head clean off his robot shoulders. Unfortunately I find myself staying back and shooting from afar. Apart from that though I'm really enjoying it - but then I am a TF fan.
What I'm Playing Most: Ni No Kuni (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / Kerbal Space Program (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 47

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby zinaptik » 25 Aug 2012, 11:39

Hopefully the problems can be fixed for the inevitable Transformers: Rise Of Cybertron or T:Roc. Games are supposed to get better with each squeal and I think High Moon understand that.
zinaptik 46

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 25 Aug 2012, 15:17

Sorry your review is a bit off CVG

This is an amazing game even if your not a Transformers fan, the weapon and character level up system is a great idea making progression feel like a real achievement considering how weak you first start out as. Also because the stats are carried over a second and third playthrough enable you to look for collectables easier without getting your backside handed to you.

The level design is more open, theres some great exploration elements to find hidden blueprints and weapon storage lockers/audio logs and everything makes you feel like your on a large world like Cybertron.

The attention to fans is second to none from the great one liners quoting episodes to the names of the achievements which are mostly the names of Generation 1 US and UK comics, the fact that they quote ROBOT MASTER shows these are real fans not Michael Bay wanabees. Also when you find the lever that transforms and dances like carlton from fresh prince of bell air you will cry with laughter, but theres so many other things to enjoy as well like how JAZZ moves, talks and especially transforms and Shockwave is in there too so golf claps all round.

The multiplayer is simply out of this world, most people on it are useless however and completely lack any notion of teamwork when it comes to escalation which is the real jewel in the crown of the game, however with a mic and the ability to tell people what to do makes for a great evenings play.

Conquest mode and capture the flag are also highly entertaining, the mode where you have to return life sparks to your base is kinda neat but nobody right now is playing it

A lack of co-op campaign however is a serious mistake, its what made the first game so stunning and its why this game is not as good overall but even without it its still one of the best releases of the year along with games like Kingdoms of Amalur.

This game should not be compared to Gears of War, the comparison CVG mentions comes from the fact that they both feel clunky, with Transformers however this feels right because they are huge bulky robots, Gears just feels fat and ugly and sorry to offend but is rubbish compared to this, although Horde mode on Gears is something Transformers should have completely robbed lol lol lol. If you have to play this game from cover then your just bad at it, the energon shields and combat drones help you wipe out the enemy without ever having to run away.

Overall if your a fan of Transformers this is a solid 9/10 because of the quality of the game, the longevity due to multiple playthroughs and the stunning escalation modes and the fan attention it recieves, if you just like third person shooters then its a solid 8 if your playing it on your own and an 8.5 if playing escalation etc online.

On no planet in any universe is this game in the 7's, my advice for everyone is to put down FIFA and COD for 5 minutes and go try something cooler and more fun right now.......... Thats an order!!!! lol lol

I would have waited an eternity for this............ It's over Prime!!
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby Barry316 » 25 Aug 2012, 15:30

Good review.

So far i'm on chapter 10 and while it's been enjoyable it's still not without fault. The campaign has been really short, it gets repetitive fast and the multiplayer is awful. Everybody is playing team deathmatch and it's just a mess of vehicles chasing each other and missing with the shots or running around and missing with the shots so they just melee each other to death.

Worth a rent to play the story through in a weekend, not a stayer.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Mobius01 » 25 Aug 2012, 15:37

I agree with everything Megatrons_Fury wrote. It's a Transformers fan's dream :)
Mobius01 50

Steam: mobius01

Postby orgasmatron » 25 Aug 2012, 17:37

I would have a great concept for a new transformers game but too bad that I don't have the money or skills to make THE game. It would be the best transformers game and maybe the best game of the year/all time, if it would be as I want it. And as I would make it, it would be a game about transformers I always wanted to play since 1984 when I first saw the show.
orgasmatron 31

Postby WingZeroSys » 25 Aug 2012, 18:51

It's a great game (worthy of an 8-8.5), but in some ways it's a step backward from WFC.

There's hardly any boss fights, you're on your own quite a few times (unlike WFC where there's usually 4 TF's working together), the ending left it too open even though we know where the next game is set and the weapons don't seem as good too imo.

I knew not being able to pick who I wanted to play as would be a downside ever since HMS said it would be a specific character for each chapter (I didn't mind the break in WFC), the movie based games are the same and Optimus (my favourite TF) was only playable for a boss fight in DOTM.

I also miss the episodic feel of each chapter from WFC with the narrator telling us what's going on.

I just hope the sequel will be everything I wish for (unlike FOC, Arkham City was sort of the same with Arkham Asylum doing some things better).
I'm no hero, never was, never will be, I'm just an old killer, hired to do a little wet work. sOLiD Snake, MGS4.
WingZeroSys 51

Postby MrPirtniw » 25 Aug 2012, 18:57

I've been enjoying the demo much more than I thought I would- but alas, my money has gone to Darksiders 2. I do love me some Transformers but I think I made the right choice. ... Plus it's Activision, so they can wait.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby MagicBoughie24 » 25 Aug 2012, 19:37

Since when is 7 a bad score for a game? The ruin the review system because they think any game thats half decent has to get a review score of 8 or above. I'm sure there was an article on here a while ago discussing that.

7.6 is a very good score.

Also just because you have a different opinion than someone else doesn't mean that yours is fact and theres is crap. ITS AN OPINION.
MagicBoughie24 46

Postby MrPirtniw » 25 Aug 2012, 19:55

Completely agree!

... They were wrong about the Darksiders 2 score though.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Aug 2012, 00:33

MagicBoughie24 wrote:Since when is 7 a bad score for a game? The ruin the review system because they think any game thats half decent has to get a review score of 8 or above. I'm sure there was an article on here a while ago discussing that.

Also just because you have a different opinion than someone else doesn't mean that yours is fact and theres is crap. ITS AN OPINION.

This, I take mag reviews lightly, more like a guidance. I take forum posters reviews with an absolute pinch of salt, even less when they attempt a smart ass higher than thou attack on the reviewer.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 26 Aug 2012, 01:21

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:
MagicBoughie24 wrote:Since when is 7 a bad score for a game? The ruin the review system because they think any game thats half decent has to get a review score of 8 or above. I'm sure there was an article on here a while ago discussing that.

This, I take mag reviews lightly, more like a guidance. I take forum posters reviews with an absolute pinch of salt, even less when they attempt a smart ass higher than thou attack on the reviewer.

If you take forum peoples opinions with a pinch of salt then why even bother reading them in the first place and also how come you post so many?????? Pot... Kettle.... Black.

Bottom line i care not, its a fantastic game, if your a Transformers and good game fan you will buy it........ end of. I wont bother posting again on this topic so feel free to moan bitch and insult as much as you want.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Aug 2012, 11:33

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
If you take forum peoples opinions with a pinch of salt then why even bother reading them in the first place and also how come you post so many?????? Pot... Kettle.... Black.

Bottom line i care not, its a fantastic game, if your a Transformers and good game fan you will buy it........ end of. I wont bother posting again on this topic so feel free to moan bitch and insult as much as you want.

I should perhaps have been clearer, my thoughts generally on forum comments are to take them with a pinch of salt as they are often far from objective. It was not aimed at you (as you are a considered poster generally)so get the sand out of your fanny. However if by your logic I was to take the perceptions of forum posters verbatum I would probably buy very few games. Generally objectivity goes out the window, take COD for example which would never sell a copy if it was based on forum consensus. Shame you felt the need to be touchy, I actually enjoy your posts and if you like this game then good for you, my point instead was to highlight the views labelled as truth people sometimes offer in essentially telling a 'professional' reviewer with potentially years of journalistic experience that they are wrong because said reader doesn't like the outcome.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 26 Aug 2012, 17:08

Megatron getting his knickers in a twist when someone pulls him up on something? Who would have believed it?

Also fanboys in this thread, calm down some, as another post said, 7.6 is a great score.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Next