to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Uncharted movie being re-written, sheds (another) director

Your comments on our articles.

Writers of Disney's 'National Treasure' step in

Nathan Drake's rocky ride to the big screen has hit another bump in the road recently, having lost yet another director.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Uncharted movie being re-written, sheds (another) director

Postby Billybob21 » 24 Aug 2012, 22:23

Just so long as Nathan Fillion ends up playing Drake.
Billybob21 48

Xbox Live: Billybob2101
PSN ID: Billybob2101
Steam: Billybob21

Re: Uncharted movie being re-written, sheds (another) direct

Postby chrisw92 » 25 Aug 2012, 01:02

I say get Nolan in a mocap suit, get the animators and get this movie going. We don't need big Hollywood sets, just give us the game engine running the entire thing.
chrisw92 38

Postby karkify » 25 Aug 2012, 03:56

chrisw92 wrote:I say get Nolan in a mocap suit, get the animators and get this movie going.

Or just CGI completely. Even then, as tight as the gameplay is in the games, the stories are so weak. We were told we would get info on Drakes background in 3, but instead we got "a dirty old man took a interest in a young thief, also here's this blonde cult woman we know nothing about". People can deny it, but lets face it here, they're built around set pieces rather than interesting non-clichéd stories. It needs a seriously interesting story rather than the games big set pieces to stand a chance imo. Can imagine this turning into an "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".
I'm curious as to exactly why the directors left?
karkify 50

Postby altitude2k » 25 Aug 2012, 06:14

No point in making it CGI - might as well just watch someone play the games given how pretty they already are, and how movie-like they play out.

Sadly, this has "going to bomb" written all over it.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby fps_d0minat0r » 25 Aug 2012, 08:36

karkify wrote:
chrisw92 wrote:I say get Nolan in a mocap suit, get the animators and get this movie going.

Or just CGI completely. Even then, as tight as the gameplay is in the games, the stories are so weak. We were told we would get info on Drakes background in 3, but instead we got "a dirty old man took a interest in a young thief, also here's this blonde cult woman we know nothing about". People can deny it, but lets face it here, they're built around set pieces rather than interesting non-clichéd stories. It needs a seriously interesting story rather than the games big set pieces to stand a chance imo. Can imagine this turning into an "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".
I'm curious as to exactly why the directors left?

whens the last time you saw a treasure hunting movie that wasnt clichéd?
to me, everything seems the same. theres a legend saying blah blah blah.....someone finds a bit of information....the treasure hunt starts.....they end up in some underground tomb or lost city....there is a curse....the whole place comes down and you think everything is lost.....main character says he took some treasure. The End.
oh and how can i forget..... there is always a villan who is after the same treasure.
fps_d0minat0r 31

Postby chrisw92 » 25 Aug 2012, 09:31

fps_d0minat0r wrote:whens the last time you saw a treasure hunting movie that wasnt clichéd?
to me, everything seems the same. theres a legend saying blah blah blah.....someone finds a bit of information....the treasure hunt starts.....they end up in some underground tomb or lost city....there is a curse....the whole place comes down and you think everything is lost.....main character says he took some treasure. The End.
oh and how can i forget..... there is always a villan who is after the same treasure.

You forgot about the stubborn love interest or the dumb sidekick.

I'm going to have to disagree with karkify in that the games stories aren't good, Drakes fortune was the perfect generic treasure hunting tale... It doesn't involve you but its inviting, you have a fun time watching it and never complain that you forgot most of the movie.

Among thieves was much more polished and was a great storyline, even if Jeff was in it.
chrisw92 38

Postby MadMax47 » 25 Aug 2012, 12:15

It seems that no-one has the patience to make, write and cast the movie having dropped so many impatient directors. This points to the conclusion that no-one really thinks it is a good idea. I don't think it will happen and even though it will make the franchise tonnes of money, it will undoubtably be a rubbish spin-off of a perfectly good stand alone series.
MadMax47 2
New user

Postby budge » 25 Aug 2012, 12:59

altitude2k wrote:No point in making it CGI - might as well just watch someone play the games given how pretty they already are, and how movie-like they play out.

I agree, the games are good enough. You could get the biggest and best actors to play the parts but it still wouldn't be a patch on the game's actors/actress'.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Samurai-Don » 25 Aug 2012, 16:30

You might as well edit the game and release it on to the big screen since it practically a movie, which is why I don't like the Uncharted series.
Samurai-Don 21

Postby lonewolf2002 » 25 Aug 2012, 20:30

I liked the National Treasure movies and think it could work ok, they just need to get it done by end of next year or just forget about it getting off the ground like the Halo movie.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby YouStoleMyKill » 26 Aug 2012, 06:51

Emily Rose as Elena or gtfo! I hope the film doesn't suck , it has great potential but im not expecting much as game to movie adaptations usually suck just as much as movie to game adaptations :|
YouStoleMyKill 37

PSN ID: Connor_mufc_1985

Postby illage2 » 26 Aug 2012, 15:02

altitude2k wrote:No point in making it CGI - might as well just watch someone play the games given how pretty they already are, and how movie-like they play out.

Of course it's going to bomb. It's being Written by people who work for Disney. Need I say more?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Imaduck » 26 Aug 2012, 19:04

Disney made Carrots of the Parribean well and it came out quite gritty.
Imaduck 58

Postby chrisw92 » 27 Aug 2012, 11:50

Imaduck wrote:Disney made Carrots of the Parribean well and it came out quite gritty.

But then again they did also make the monstrosity that is the inspector gadget movie... something that was a great TV show and only needed a 1 and a half version of the show.
chrisw92 38

Postby HelloLadies » 27 Aug 2012, 17:01

Personally I think if they went all out CGI it would be half decent. The Adventures of Tin-Tin was visually impressive but I found the story to be quite bland and unmemorable. I actually think an Uncharted film done in CGI would be more exciting and engaging. The one liners and character interaction through out the Uncharted series were quite amusing and the action sequences would be entertaining yet cater to a more mature crowd than The Adventures of Tin-Tin was aimed at. I just think there are so many live action adventure films that have been made over the past 5-10 years already, a lot of them completely forgettable. A literal adaptation from the games would be more successful I think and pave the way for the franchise to be successful on the big screen as well as the console.
HelloLadies 50

Next