to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA's Soderlund: 'Adapt or become irrelevant'

Your comments on our articles.

CVG interviews the executive vice president of EA Games about the future of entertainment

It's hard to fake a dedication to games which is why many game publishing executives, rather wisely, tend to not bother.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA's Soderlund: 'Adapt or become irrelevant'

Postby martinawatson » 21 Aug 2012, 12:13

Tomahawk anyone?
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Re: EA's Soderlund: 'Adapt or become irrelevant'

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 21 Aug 2012, 12:52

Adapt by massive marketing budgets to shift tripe, by having more steadily moving franchises than I have hot dinners, by taking interesting games and making them benign(Dead Space I'm looking at you) , by taking DLC cash-ins to a new level and using your biggest FPS competitor as makeweight in promoting your own games, all the f**king time. I like some EA games but change the f**king bull crap record.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby rhyfel » 21 Aug 2012, 13:47

so this is one of the top EA assholes exec's who are slowly but surely destroying gaming with there greed.
rhyfel 37

Postby stealth » 21 Aug 2012, 17:26

hes a moron if he thinks physical is going anywhere
stealth 47

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 21 Aug 2012, 19:15

I must admit, I too miss the good old days of reading the manual prior to playing the game! Manuals are irrelevant now. Booooooo!

If you think digital wont overtake you must be missing a few... It takes about 10 years for a new format to become dominant. Betamax, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray (will prob. not make it :-() and Digital.

I would bet any money that digital film rentals have overtaken physical rentals, you've got sky, virgin, BT, Love, Netflix plus more versus Blockbuster (nearly bankrupt) and indies, once Blockbusters are gone digital will account for 99% of all rentals.

Steam and other download services account for a high percentage of sales and DLC is about 99% download. Some games are never released on physical formats and already account for most of the best selling games with Angry birds series downloaded through different free-to-play and fully paid models running at 1 billion + downloads.

The savings on contracting out disc writing and packaging and the lower risk of piracy/theft, the move is inevitable.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby stealth » 21 Aug 2012, 20:29

ea is irrelevant

they are doing so poorly they are about to be sold
stealth 47