to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Square Enix apologises for Final Fantasy VII PC launch issue

Your comments on our articles.

New Q&A addresses activation problems, missing keys

Square Enix has apologised to fans for problems surrounding the recent re-release of Final Fantasy VII on PC.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Square Enix apologises for Final Fantasy VII PC launch issue

Postby Drusus » 20 Aug 2012, 17:11

When you can't deliver a game first released in 1997 without problems maybe you need to have a good look at your company. Always on connections for a ps1 game, messed up drm only serves to annoy and hurt real customers and not alter piracy in any way.

Do yourselves a favour buy a PS1 from ebay with FF7 It'll be a little more expensive around £20-30 for both in good condition but they will still be worth that £20-30 the day after and will only go up in price, there's no DRM it works perfectly and you won't be supporting the company that ran the great series nose first into the ground.
Drusus 59

Re: Square Enix apologises for Final Fantasy VII PC launch i

Postby JPTiger » 20 Aug 2012, 17:21

Well, apart from the horrible mashed together ogg music files, the "updated graphics" (only updating the character models), the problems with activation and the achievements that are either stupidly simple or next to impossible (max out gil, character levels), the game is great :lol:
JPTiger 44

Postby lonewolf2002 » 20 Aug 2012, 17:28

JPTiger wrote:Well, apart from the horrible mashed together ogg music files, the "updated graphics" (only updating the character models), the problems with activation and the achievements that are either stupidly simple or next to impossible (max out gil, character levels), the game is great :lol:

Sounds like they have taken the Hi-res character packs from the emu version for the "updated graphics"
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby karkify » 20 Aug 2012, 18:00

Drusus wrote:When you can't deliver a game first released in 1997 without problems maybe you need to have a good look at your company.

Couldn't have put it better myself :D
Why this game needs any DRM at all is beyond me too.
Why don't they just come to my house, grab the PS1 FF7 case, sellotape it shut and make me sign an agreement before I can play it again :roll:
Trying to protect something which has been widely available for 15 years...
karkify 50

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 20 Aug 2012, 18:16

Drusus wrote:When you can't deliver a game first released in 1997 without problems maybe you need to have a good look at your company. Always on connections for a ps1 game, messed up drm only serves to annoy and hurt real customers and not alter piracy in any way.

Do yourselves a favour buy a PS1 from ebay with FF7 It'll be a little more expensive around £20-30 for both in good condition but they will still be worth that £20-30 the day after and will only go up in price, there's no DRM it works perfectly and you won't be supporting the company that ran the great series nose first into the ground.

Very well said! It's s**t like this though that encourages piracy, this stuff treats customers as if they're pirates and it just puts people off.

Personally I'm chuffed they've had serious issues, because if they didn't use DRM there wouldn't be this problem now.
Mmmmgrolsch 75

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Skyly » 20 Aug 2012, 23:49

what kind of specs does this game require to run? thought 2GHz Processor seemed a bit much for a 15-plus year old game...
Skyly 48

Postby paulhudd » 21 Aug 2012, 12:08

First time I've seen the PC re-release trailer and it makes me laugh that they didn't use any in game footage lol why not? This is my favourite game of all time, drm is pointless on a game that was pirated 15 years ago and as someone pointed out, only affects the paying customer, ironically making them want to pirate it lol I have my original ps1 copies still and 60gb PS3, so im good thanks. Release this on Xbox, with some hardcore achievements and im sold, and by hardcore achievements, I mean hardcore! Obtain a master summon for every party member, level 99 all party members, obtain a 10 ribbons etc, some crazy stuff like that, everything that I had done on my old ps1. use the new orchestrated music, remodel the world map and characters and any other none pre-rendered image and you have a worthy remake, like ocarina 3ds. build it from the ground up is a true remake like twin snakes and I can understand that is very time consuming and expensive, reskinning, achievements and replacing audio is easy as the modding community have shown time and time again. just get on with square and stop disappointing your fans
paulhudd 55

Xbox Live: myspacePAULHUDD
PSN ID: Phudd
Wii Code: some long number